3 thoughts on “SLA and Bastianich

1. Beverage laws are there for our own safety. Corporations and Restaurant Groups have an obligation to follow these beverage laws or pay the consequences. If the company is trying to evade or twist the laws in place they should be penalized. But if the law has recently changed to make their actions “interlocking interests” then they should be given the benefit of the doubt. But they are also accused of “false material statement” which is another serious issue in and of itself. I look forward to their defense. I admire Batali and have faith that there is a plausible explanation.
    Oneaka Traub

2. I understand how this may mean that this restaurant group doesnt offer fair trade of wines (if one of the owners of the restaurant group is also a wine grower himself elsewhere in the world). However, we live in a world were borders are consistently fading and I have been taught in just about every class how important networking is. The law seems a bit outdated to me. Considering Rockefeller pushed for prohibition laws to pass for his own business interest – how is it that we can take any sort of legislation for alcohol seriously?
    Henry Ford created a flex-fuel engine that could run on ethanol and gasoline, this was a threat to Rockefeller who had grown his petroleum/gasoline business back in the day of black and white photos. Since ethanol is essentially alcohol, it took out the transportation, sale, and commercialization of alcohol… And so, prohibition isn’t about drinking and consuming alcohol as much as it is a way to regulate our dependance on fossil fuels.

3. I do not seem to understand why the SLA never had a problem with this restaurant ground regarding this issue before. At least I have not heard of it yet. It seems to me that they are in some sense “jealous” of Bastianich, for only selling his wine in some of his places, and refusing other vendors. Now, the SLA by trying to stop that, they are implementing “new” changes and therefore giving them this fine. The SLA does not seem to like the idea of this restaurant group bringing in their own wine, which might not be stated under their liquor license, and that is why maybe they are having this issues.