DM’s visit to Kings County Distillery

I know you all maybe be tired of reading about the Kings County Distillery, but I too went here. I would constantly pass this mini brick building that looked like a house hut had a gorgeous outdoor space, everyday and always wondered what it was. When Prof. Goodlad had told Victor and I about this distillery and we went to search the address, I was shocked to see I knew where it was!

We walked into the “house” which is where the bar is. As soon as we entered we were asked if we were there for a drink or just a tour, we replied with tour and waited for the guide to appear. Once he did, we stepped out of the bar setting and walked past the guards and into the Brooklyn Navy Yard. This is where the distillery is. We were brought upstairs to speak about how long the distillery had been around and what the building used to be (a bank.) Then we went downstairs to where the entire process happens from the malting, mashing, fermentation, distillation and maturation. We smelled the corn and grain they use which they get from local farms and he also suggested us to smell a blue liquid that has what they don’t want in the whisky but from a distance because if you smelled too closely you wouldn’t have scent for a few minutes afterwards. We were on the tour with many fans of distilled beverages, those who had gone to Kentucky & Tennessee so they asked many questions which helped me focus more. There were even some people from Iceland who owned their own distillery over there.

After the process, we went upstairs to tasted several whiskys. I wasn’t a fan of any of them except for the chocolate and the spiced one because I pictured it in some pumpkin cupcakes or a chocolate pie. The tour guide even mentioned that his grandma adds some in her chocolate cake. He also taught us a special way to get the flavor of the whisky so it doesn’t taste so much like rubbing alcohol. He suggested taking a small sip and leaving it at the tip of your tongue then swallowing. He said if you swallowed quickly, the back taste buds are what makes you get that taste you don’t like. Victor and I then took some photos and took post cards. In the shop they have candles, whisky lip balm, t-shirts and gift sets. Overall it was a great experience and it definitely made me more interested to learn more, but not taste! Attached are my images on an online album.

https://myalbum.com/album/GZMzi3HXRHEN