Restaurant Review

Read Pete Wells’ review of Jungsik.

• Have you enjoyed Korean cusine before?
  • If so, what is your favorite dish?
  • Based on the review would you dine at this restaurant?
  • Is there any particular menu item mentioned in this article that you would like to try?

Also check out this link on Food Trends for 2012 from Professor Dias

46 Responses to Restaurant Review

1. Yes I have, my father’s bosses who are Koreans onced invited my family for dinner at their home. That evening we were served somekind of stirfried steak with onions and sticky rice and kimchi. And although, I’m not a big fan of beef, this stir fried was delicious. I tried kimchi for the first time and felt in love with it. Although, this restaurant got a decent review and the food and service is spectacular, I’ll have to take a pass on this one, mainly due to the expensive menu. Furthermore, none of the items mentioned in the review caught my interest. I don’t know much about Korean cuisine but, this menu is not really authentic Korean cuisine, this menu is more of a fusion of different cultures.

2. jruggiero says:

Yes I have enjoyed Korean cusine before, while in Hawaii. My favorite dish would have to be the Korean ribs. Almost anywhere we went if they had ribs on the menu we ordered them and chowed down! As for the review of Jungsik I would not desire to dine at this restaurant, because nothing written here catches my eye. The walls, and tables and the food such as ‘little’ pre appetizers if red grapes over rice do not call to my stomach. A good rib dish and I would have been sold! No there is nothing mentioned in this article I would wish to try.

3. Belinda Leung says:

Yes, I have eaten Korean cuisine before, overall I am not a big fan but there is one dish i definitely like which is jap chae. This dish has stir fried noodles mixed with a variety of vegetables and beef. While reading the Jungsik restaurant review, I don’t think I would ever dine at the establishment because I am not into the sea urchin or kim chi. I understand when the critic described about the little appetizers that they serve at Jungsik but I feel that the fermented food has an acquired taste. This acquired taste isn’t something that I am totally into so I would have to decline dining at this location.

4. Vivian Yu says:

Yes, I have eaten Korean cuisine many times before. It is actually one of my favorite cuisines and as a matter of fact, I went to eat Korean food with a couple of classmates after Thursday’s class last week. My favorite dishes are definitely tuk baeki bulgogi which is a marinated rib-eye beef soup served with vermicelli noodles and I love Korean barbeque! I wouldn’t go to Jungsik because it doesn’t seem to be authentic Korean food. In addition, most of Jungsik’s menu items are seafood and I’m not a big fan of that. The only item mentioned that I would try would be the mushroom with dashi broth.

5. jenny zhu says:

Yes, I have eaten Korean cuisine before. Oh, I love Korean food, when I get any chance I would like to go to 32st, the little Korean town. I love the rice cakes with some meats, I love toufu soup, I love the jap chae, seafood with rice and kimchi. Korean people are very care about details, so that’s why the food price is more expensive than others. In this review, many people mentioned that the little appetizers they served at Jungsik cost a lot of money. The three-course menu costs $80. It is expensive but I think it’s worth it. I would like to visit this restaurant one day, and try the dishes “Mushroom with dashi broth” that they recommended in the article.

6. After reading this article on the restaurant Jungsik, I was not interested in this restaurant at all. The food seemed overly priced for its quality and there were no food items whose descriptions stood out to me. I have never actually tried Korean food before, but I would like to experience their food someday. I would definately like to try Kimchi, it seems to be an interesting dish that I have seen before and looks very appetizing. I don’t think that I would like to dine at this restaurant due to its over pricing and my disinterest in the food they have to offer. This is not somewhere I would like to go for my first time trying Korean food.

7. Minjung K. says:

Yes I have eaten Korean food and which I eat ALL THE TIME AT HOME:). I actually enjoyed reading this article because it’s about our traditional food and this is what I eat all the time, I cant live without Korean food. My favorite Korean dishes are…everything I meant I eat different food everyday because my mom is good at cooking, but mostly I like the food called “kim chi jji gae” which is a soup with kimchi,onion some tuna inside or some beef. My mom makes the best kimchi soup and I love spicy food so I enjoy eating this soup. I would love to try “jung sik” food if I have chance to go tribeca because I’ve never been there before but I will if I go there, and I dont think the food is expensive because theres lot more expensive courses in Korea and I’ve been eating there..which I love to and even though I know all the food from
    what they recommended I would like to try “spicy kalguksu.”

8. Faith Johnson says:

I’ve never had Korean cuisine but if it taste as good as the author made it seem i wouldn’t mind trying it. I would come dine at this restaurant because it looks relaxing, i would be at peace eating here. I don’t know what to expect when eating Korean cuisine but it sounded like all those flavors may take me on an adventure.

9. Nadege Brutus says:

I am a food lover. I enjoy trying any type of cuisines unfortunately Korean cuisine have not one of them yet.I will keep this restaurant in mind as my next eat out with my husband even though the price same a lot bite high for me for now but I will take the opportunity this march to celebrate our ten years together. No there is not anything in the menu I will really go for in particular. To say the truth the menu same kind of real Korean food.

10. iabsar says:

i have never tried korean cuisine before, therefore i do not have a favorite dish. I would not dine at this restaurant for the simple fact that its not food i see myself enjoy eating. There is no item on mentioned in this article that i would enjoy eating.

11. nancyle says:

I have never had Korean cuisine before, but I would love to experience it one day. Based on the restaurant review of Jungsik in TriBeCa, I would not dine at this restaurant. As I read the article, there was not one item description that stood out to me. I also think that their menu is quite expensive for such small items, such as, pre appetizers of red grapes over rice.

12. Radairis P. says:

I have never tried Korean Cuisine before. I am unbelievably not a fan of trying new dishes but with the delicious descriptions this reviewer provides it makes me wonder what a wonderful experience I might have if I went dining to this restaurant. Typically, when I dine at restaurants of different cuisines I like to eat dishes that include some types of ingredients I am familiar with. Recently I dined for the first time at Sea Restaurant in Williamsburg, Brooklyn which is a traditional Thai food cuisine restaurant. I enjoyed a dish that included chicken called Grilled Lemongrass Chicken (Half chicken marinated with Thai herbs served with honey-chili sauce) and I have to admit it was delicious and spicy just how I enjoy many dishes. With that said, I would definitely like to try Jungsik.

13. tchoedon says:

Yes, I have eaten korean cuisine before and i heartly enjoy eating korean food at anytime. My favorite korean food are the side dishes that they serve before our meal and bibimbap. I love dining at korean restaurant because the taste and the ingredients that they use are similar to my food culture. I would not dine at this restaurant becuace of the price range but, if the food was little lower then i would go there and enoy the korean cuisine. it also look peaceful place to dine in. I would like to try the seaweed and sesame oil secented rice with napa cabbage kimchi and a handful of quinoa.

• Yatta says:

No, I have never dined at a Korean restaurant before. Would I eat at this restaurant? I don’t believe I would dine at this restaurant, seaweed is not my thing. Secondly, the price range is a bit too expensive for me. I love the decor of the restaurant, it’s elegently decorated. The live music playing, is another positive thing about this restaurant that sets a relaxing amibance, while you’re eating your food.

14. Huihong He says:

I have eaten Korean cuisine before which is located in Manhattan 32nd Street. For my personal, I didn’t have a specific favorite dish. However, I really enjoyed the Korean noodles. Based on the article review, I would like to dine at this restaurant since the dishes that the author described are so attractive, and I would like to try new dishes in different types of restaurant. In this article, I would like to try the bibimbap. I saw many customers are ordered that in the Korean restaurant, but I never try that.

15. ming yan lo says:

Yes, I have and I am a big fan of Korean cusine. Actually, I just went to the little Korean town last thursday. Bibimbap and the barbecue beef are my favourite korean dishes. I would not dine in Jungsik. Personally, the food doest seem to be authentic Korean cuisine. Also, the menu is expensive. If the price was more friendly, I would give a try. I would like to try “Mushroom with dashi broth” because I am a soup person.

16. stacyann says:

I’ve never had Korean cuisine before. However, I would like the opportunity to dine at a Korean Restaurant. I think there would be a slight chance of me enjoying the mushroom with dashi broth and the crisp snapper. Not only because I like snapper and mushroom, but because of the suggestive selling that accompany the menu item. I’m almost sure that they would have a sauce to compliment crisp snapper. In addition, I’m always open to trying new food.

17. Kara says:

I have not had Korean food and am not interested in going to this restaurant. I do not like seafood, nor do I like the descriptions of the Korean foods. I do like trying new things but these flavors do not interest me.

18. Kara says:

I am not interested in Korean flavors

19. jayfetalino says:

Yes, I have eaten and enjoyed Korean cuisine before. For me, I don’t really have any favorite Korean dish because every time I eat at a Korean restaurant, I always wanted to try something new, I don’t want to focus on just one certain dish and not to try other delicious Korean food. After reading the review about Jungsik, i would never dine at this establishment because their menu is pretty expensive and i don’t think their foods are authentic Korean cuisine but more of a fusion and none of the menu items that were mentioned in the article stood out to me.

20. jayfetalino says:

Yes, I have eaten and enjoyed Korean cuisine before. For me, I don’t really have any favorite Korean dish because every time I eat at a Korean restaurant, I always wanted to try something new, I don’t want to focus on just one certain dish and not to try other delicious Korean food. After reading the review about Jungsik, i would never dine at this restaurant because their menu is pretty expensive and i don’t think their foods are authentic Korean foods and none of the menu items that were mentioned in the article that i would try.

21. Amanda sylvestre says:

Unfortunetly no I have not eaten Korean Cuisine, but would not mind trying it. The only thing close to Asian food I would say I have eaten was Pad Thai from a Malaysian restaurant. Based on this review I would not dine at Jungsik because of the over pricing that I believe is not necessary. Because of the location the owner must feel that the prices have to be skyrocket high, and I don’t like that. Also according to the description of some of the dishes mentioned, it seems as though they do not offer a lot of food on the plate for so much money. They are more interested in the presentation of the plate then the amount of food given. None of the dishes mentioned in this article sounded appealing to me.

22. Thanatcha Mudkanchana says:

Yes, i have enjoyed Korean Cuisine before. Honestly, this article makes me go crazy while i am commenting on the blog because i cannot control my appetite. My favorite Korean dish is a hot stone bibimbap. It is served as a bowl of warm white rice topped with sautéed vegetables, minced beef, a raw egg, and chili pepper paste, which is not spicy at all. The ingredients are stirred together thoroughly just before eating. I would like to go to Jungsik and try a $115 five-course dinner, but i think each course will be like small portions. Therefore, i think Jungsik is not the best place to go eat, if you cannot control your appetite.

23. marymoy says:

Yes, I have eaten Korean food before. I eat it a lot actually with my friends at Korea Town on 32st. The first dish i ate was kimchi fried rice and i love it. I’m not a fan of spicy food but i really like kimchi surprisingly. I also love Korean bbq. I’m always willing to try new things also. From the review of the restaurant i would not like to dine there because i think it is too over priced. Although i like to try new things i think i can try those same dishes that were mentioned in the article somewhere else for a cheaper price.

24. victoria says:

I have eaten Korean cusine before, i tryed Korean BBQ. Unfortunately i do not have a favorite dishe because i did not like anything i tryed. Based ont the review ip would not dine at this resturant because nothing sounds appetizing to me. the Korean fried is the only thing mentioned in this article that i would try.

• Anthony says:

although a lot of items mention in this menu are names of food i never heard of before i wouldn’t allow that to deter me from at least trying it. However once i heard something fried i said to myself is really hard to mess anything up that’s fried!

25. I have eaten Korean food before. In fact, it is one of my favorite food, and I probably go to Korean restaurants once every week. My all time Korean favorite dish is Bibimbap, because it is easy to make, and I always have kimchi in my fridge. Based on the review, I don’t think I would dine in at Jungsik restaurant. First of all it is too expensive, and second of all, I love traditional Korean food. I did not like the idea of infusing it with the western style. If someone would treat me at Jungsik, I would like to try their pre-appetizers!

26. mstephen says:

Although I have never tried Korean food before, I know it would be a cuisine I’d enjoy. I love spicy, bold flavors and dishes with many components that work together. My first time trying Korean food, I would for it to be more low key and traditional.

Based on the article, I don’t think I would dine at this restaurant. The review made the place seem very complicated, over priced, with uncomfortable service. There’s nothing worst than a waiter who is nervous and sounds as if he is reading a script. Even though I am not very attracted to the restaurant, the Article char with kimchi sounds very interesting, flavorful, and well-balanced. The writer gave Jungsik a good review giving a little history about the author while trying to persuade New Yorkers to attend.

27. Zhe Zhuang says:

I have eaten Korean food before, I like Asian food, it is one of the Asian food for me and I like it. My favorite dish is Tofu and noodles which Korean make in different ways than others. I don’t think I would dine at Jungsik, because food there sound like combine various material beside real Korean food, I believe I can taste more Korean delicious food without spending too much money. I’m a rice person, I would like to try the seaweed and sesame oil scented rice which mentioned in this article.

28. Anthony says:

I have tried Koren cusine but in a less formal setting as Jungsik. I had a creative dish that invloved fried chicken and a delcious rice bowl. I would at least like to visit Jungsik at least once to take an exciting new experience. Although, the pricing is aggressive again I think the experience of trying something new and different is worht it.

29. Magou Camara says:

I have never had Korean Cuisine before. I would like my first experience to be something I would enjoy and remember. I don’t think Jungsik is the restaurant where I would like to experience that. There menu isn’t pleasant in my opinion and doesn’t sit quite well with me. Pete Wells did mention in his review that “New Yorkers should give Jungsik a chance and Jungsik should give New Yorkers a chance.” I definetly agree with this point because the prices in this restaurant is to expensive especially at their rising point. Maybe if they make a few revisions to their price menus alot of New Yorkers can play their role and give Jungsik a chance.

30. Tiffany Onate says:

I personally dont really know if i ever had Korean food, i do remember going with a friend to a restaurant in the village and they served Korean food . I am a fan of new flavors and a lover of seafood but not exotic things such as goat of lamb or duck e.t.c. i Would be interested in going to this establishment for the reason that i believe you shouldn’t judge SOME things until your try it. also i think some of the items spoken about in the article seem appealing.

31. Jia Sun says:

I am a big fan of Korean cusine and have eaten it in Queens and Manhatten before. I like to eat Korean food, especially the Bulgogijip (Korean Barbecue) and Korean Scallion Pancake. I would like to dine at Jungsik. I would like to try the Korean fried chicken. Also, I read the other article about Jungsik which is named “Five Dishes at Jungsik”. I real want to try its dessert, which is called patbinsu, is a Korean shaved ice dessert.

32. christianh says:

I love Korean food, but mostly asian cultural dishes. I’ve actually had Korean Barbecue in Flushing which was delicious. The restaurant was called Jang Tuh and i had a “Huk Sea Ji Sam Yup Sal” which was pork wrapped around a white radish. Based on the review, even though the Korean food isn’t “authentic” i would still experience this restaurant, and its empty environment. Definitely the red snapper is a dish im looking forward to eating.

33. Natalie Brown says:

I never had the pleasure of enjoying Korean cuisine, but from the review I would not want this restaurant to be my first experience with Korean food. Maybe after I try a few dishes and get use to the food eventually i would consider dining at this restaurant. And I am not sure about some of the dishes provided, slowly but surely I am trying new things so I guess we would have to wait and see what looks appetizing to me.

34. jelani crawford says:

I never had Korean cuisine before because the area that I live in doesnt have any Korean restaurants instead I am mostly exposed to Chinese cuisine. Even though the food is expensive compared to Chinese cuisine I would absolutely dine at the Jungsik or any Korean restaurtant since I never tried it before so it would be a memorable experience for me. I am actually not sure what specific item on the menu I would try since its an asain seafood restaurant so I would be willing to try all the dishes offered on the menu.

35. imatias89 says:

I have never ate Korean food, but I would love to try it out. I don’t think I would dine at this restaurant the food mentioned doesn’t sound appetizing, but I would recommend it to others. If I were to have the opportunity to dine in a Korean restaurant I’ll try to order something similar to what I am used to eating (ex. A plate with chicken). I wouldn’t eat anything new like rabbit or duck.

36. qiaoliu says:

I have tried Korean cuisine before but not with the interior decor and modern elegance dining etiquette as Jungsik. All the Korean restaurant i went to so far are traditional Korean cuisine. My favorite dishes is Kabi, Korean big ribs. I would like to visit Jungsik to try the crispy snapper with the scales still intact on it’s skin.

37. Beata Mroczka says:

I have tried Korean cuisine but not a lot of it. I would definitely like to explore the different tastes that Korean cuisine has to offer. I lately started hearing a lot about kimchi on TV and have seen it being mentioned in many articles and that is definitely on my list of foods to try. Because I’ am not yet familiar with Korean cuisine I dont think that I would find myself visiting Jungsik as it also is expensive. I would like to first see what Korean cuisine has to offer and then I would decide if it would be worth me spending a little extra cash. I’ am a big fan of fish and when I saw a snapper being mentioned in the review I automatically thought to myself that that would be a dish that I would like to try. However when I read the fish was served with the scales on the skin it did not seem so enticing anymore.

38. Deneisha says:

Yes I would eat at this type resturant and no I actually havent had Korean food. Being in this industry im very open to trying differnt types of food. But If i had a choose I dont think I would want to visit the resturant on a very busy day or nite because im not a very big fan eating in small enclosed spaces.

39. yanaira1 says:

Jungsik restaurant seemend overly priced. I didn’t like the descriptions of the food. I am an extremely picky eater and I don’t believe I would ever try Kimchi. Korean cuisine would probably be something I would pass considering this review.

40. Sheveen Vassell says:

No I have never tried Korean food and I also have no problem trying. I would like to dine at this restaurant but the most I will probably go taste wise will be the seaweed and sesame oil scented the rice, Napa cabbage kimchi, and the red snapper fillet with cilantro and jalapeño sauce. But unfortunetly like some things in life the price tag will hold me back.

41. Richard Hernandez says:

I have yet to try Korean food, would love to, but haven’t. Based on the review i would not eat here I would have to try a much cheaper place to try korean food before I can eat at Jungsik. The Sea Urchin is probably the only item in the menu that calls out to me.

42. Emmanuella Kalliangas says:

When it comes to Korean cuisine, I guess you can say I am a fish out of water. I have never tried it before but certainly plan on doing so one day. I love new flavors and I am extremely open to expanding my pallets knowledge. Just based on this review alone writtten by Pete Wells, whos opinion is greatly appreciated since he knows his food, I would love to try Jungsik one day. As far as what sounds appealing on the menu, I would most likely try the recommended dishes that include the Mushroom with dashi broth; sea urchin; barley in anchovy broth; miyeok; spicy kalguksu; crispy snapper; and Arctic char.

43. haoye says:

Yes, I have eaten Korean cuisine many times before, and also I have eaten Korean BBQ. Actually I like Korean BBQ more that Korean Cuisine. I don’t know why but I am interested in this restaurant, but the priced is a little high. I would like to stop by to eat there if someone willing to pay my check.