Restaraunt Review

Read Pete Wells’ Review of Crown Restaurant

• Does the food at Crown sound like confort food to you?
  • What is your favorite comfort food?
  • Briefly list the main ingredients and how it is prepared.

42 Responses to Restaraunt Review

1. Belinda Leung says:

After reading the Crown’s restaurant review I feel that this restaurant does not have comfort food. To me comfort food is more like a dessert. While I am eating my dessert, I rather not be all formally dressed up but instead in more comfortable clothing. Also, at the bottom of the review, I saw that the sound level of the restaurant gets loud enough for you to shout around 9PM. I believe that if I was having my ideal comfort food, I would be on cloud nine while I indulge my perfect dessert.
    My ideal comfort food would have to be chocolate ice cream. This is my favorite comfort food because I love chocolate and the coldness from ice cream gives me a little tingle inside. Chocolate helps me with my sugar fix while the coldness gives it a big kick.

Chocolate ice cream is made by
    1 1/2 ounces unsweetened cocoa powder, approximately 1/2 cup
    3 cups half-and-half
    1 cup heavy cream
    8 large egg yolks
    9 ounces sugar
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

(1) Heat cocoa powder and 1 cup of the half-and-half into a saucepan over heat. Whisk to combine.
    (2) Add the remaining half-and-half and the heavy cream. Simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
    (3) Whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Slowly add the sugar and whisk. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs, until about 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added.
    (4) Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat.
    (5) Cook while stirring, until the mixture thickens slightly until it reaches 170 to 175 degrees F.
    (6) Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
    (7) Stir in the vanilla extract.
    (8) Refrigerate
    (9) Store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees for below.
    (10) Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s directions.

2. nancy says:

Due to the locality of the Crown restaurant, it is expected that the prices for the food being served in their menu are expensive. The atmosphere of a location is definitely of great importance, this is why the lighting at this restaurant is set to favor those women who may feel self conscious about their aspect. Section of the article talks about how the menu is written in “spindly font”. I personally do not understand the reason as to why use this tactic. This of course only prevents individuals whom due to age or vision impairment from going through the menu with ease. From the title of this article I imagined myself never being able to afford any item from the menu, and considered even less having a lunch or dinner there. Indeed the prices are high as compared to other regular two to three star restaurant and definitely the atmosphere is tremendous, however it is not out of this world impossible to eat there occasionally. In my opinion you do not have to be a millionaire to eat at Crown restaurant.

Whether you should join them is a question of what you expect when dinner for two runs about $200 before the first drop of wine is poured.
    The carnivores walk away happier, naturally.
    little shouting might be necessary around 9 p.m.

3. When I think of comfort food, I think of macaroni and cheese, fried chicken, biscuits and gravy and meat loaf and mash potatoes, hearty foods. Not $55 truffled macaroni and cheese, or $97 roasted duck dinner for two, and god knows how much that beef crudo runs for.

My favorite comfort food of all time has to be tripe soup with white rice and avocado salad.

The main ingredients in a tripe soup are as follows: the fatty intestines and the stomach walls from either cows or pigs, lots of water, lots and lots of seasoning mostly Dominican seasoning: sofrito, oregano, anchote, garlic, onions, green bell peppers, and lots of love.

4. jayfetalino says:

After reading the article “Comforts of Millionares” the $55 truffled macaroni and cheese at Crown Restaurant sound like comfort food to me, it may be expensive for a mac and cheese but the taste might also be as great as we thought it would be. My Favorite Comfort food would definitely be Banana pudding. you will need condensed milk, cold water, instant French vanilla pudding and pie filling mix, heavy cream, vanilla wafers, bananas (sliced and dipped in lemon juice). First, Combine condensed milk and water in a mixing bowl. Then, Add pudding mix and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Next, Refrigerate pudding mixture for 15 minutes. whip heavy cream to stiff peaks. Fold whipped cream into chilled pudding mixture until well combined. In a large glass bowl. Spread 1/2 cup of pudding around the bottom of the bowl and top with one-third of the vanilla wafers, followed by one-third of the bananas and one-third of the remaining pudding. Continue layers, finishing with pudding on top. Sprinkle with crushed vanilla wafer crumbs. Chill at least 4 hours before serving.

5. Alina Almonte says:

Crown Restaurant does not seem like it serves comfort food. i say this becuase comfort food is not supposed to be gourmet or anything like that. it is suppose to be a simple dish that remains you of something like a chilhood memory. My favorite comfort food for instance is Mashed Potatoes. The ingredients for making mashed potatoes are water, salt, potatoes, and butter. It is really a simple dish to make. First you take water and put it to boil, then add the peeled potatoes, and the salt to give it flavor. Finally you take the potatoes and mash them with a little bit of butter.

6. qiaoliu says:

-The food in the Crown Restaurant seem like comfort food to me because one of the food was a mac and cheese dish that is commonly found in most restaurants and can be made at home.
    -In the Article, my favorite comfort food was the milk chocolate souffle.
    -The main ingredients for chocolate souffle are chocolate, vanilla extract, eggs and lemon juice. First the chocolate is melted in a sauce pan and vanilla extract is then added into the chocolate. The chocolate is set aside. Second Yolks and lube warm water put into a mixture, gradually add sugar into the mixture until the ribbons forms. The yolks are folded into the chocolate mixture. Last step was to beat the egg whites and lemon juice till it is stiff and fold in with the chocolate mixture. The batter are put into bowl and baked till the souffle rise about one and half inches from the ramekins. The dessert need be serve immediately.

7. Minjung K. says:

★Food at Crown sounds pretty much comfort food to me, but I am not the type of person who goes out to eat Americanized food or go to restaurant to eat those dishes..but when I saw the pictures of the food I felt like I want to taste some of it becuase it looks really nice.
    ★From the article my favorite comfort food was “truffled macaroni and cheese” ★The main ingredients for “truffled macaroni and cheese” are the cup of a fresh breadcrumbs, white truffle oil , unsalted butter , all-purpose flour, Swiss cheese, grated , Swiss cheese, grated and macaroni. To prepare the mac and cheese you have to preheat the oven to 375°F. In a small bowl you have to mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and truffle oil. In a large heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and you have to whisk for about 3 minutes.
    Stir in the Swiss, cheddar, and Fontina cheeses. You can remove the sauce from the heat when the cheeses have melted. Stir in the remaining truffle oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. In a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over medium heat and cook the macaroni for about 7 minutes. Turn the macaroni and cheese into a buttered 2-quart baking dish. Top the casserole with the breadcrumb mixture and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

8. tenzin choedon says:

The crowns food are not a comfort food for me because my comfort food are as lentil soup, fried potatoes, and rice. the main ingredient are ginger, garlic, lentil, onion, salt and water or beef/chicken broth. It is prepared through sweating the onion then add the ginger garlic when the onion get transparent. Than add the lentil beans and add water than season it with salt as needed.

9. Ming Yan Lo says:

The food at Crown doesn’t sound like comfort food to me, because I would describe comfort food as easy-to-eat and within home cooking. My favorite comfort food is Miso Soup. It is easy to prepare!! The ingredients include Dashi granules, water, Miso paste, diced silken tofu, diced scallion and seaweed. Add Dashi granules and Miso paste into boiling water,mixing well. Then add the tofu, seaweed and scallion into the mixture, simmering for 1-2 mins. Then, it is ready to enjoy!!

10. Zhe Zhuang says:

The food at Grown is not comfort for me, especially the entee, if they can put more vegetables I think I’d like them more. My favorite comfort food is hot sour vegetables noodle. The main ingredients are some broccoli, celery, carrot and chili, 3tbsp vinegar, 1/2 oz garlic and onion, salt and pepper. It is not hard to prepare. To fry the vegetables with garli, onion and salt, at the same time to cook the noodle in the water for 10 mins; then put fried vegetable into the noodle soup with vinegar, and cook together for another 10 mins, and it’s done! Sometimes if I want more spicy, I’d like to put hot sauce make it more delicious!

11. iabsar says:

The crown restauraunt to me is too over priced for what i can surely expect to be portions that would fit in the palm of my hands. For me this is not at all what i consider to be comfort food for many reasons. One being that I can never feel comfortable for paying fifty five dollars for fungi ( truffles). To me comfort food is hamburger, falafel cart food, fries, ice cream, and anything I can find at the local bodega at 4 in the morning. A case of corona would cost me 9 bucks. Your bill adds up to two hundred dollars before the first drop of wine is poured. NO THANK YOU.

My ideal comfort food is homemade ice cream.

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 cup half and half
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup salt (The bigger the granules, the better. Kosher or rock salt works best, but table salt is fine.)
    Ice cubes (enough to fill each gallon-size bag about half full)
    1 pint-size ziplock bag
    1 gallon-size ziplock bag

Instructions
    Combine the sugar, half and half, and vanilla extract in the pint-size bag and seal it tightly.
    Place the salt and ice in the gallon-size bag, then place the sealed smaller bag inside as well. Seal the larger bag. Now shake the bags until the mixture hardens (about 5 minutes). Feel the small bag to determine when it’s done.
    Take the smaller bag out of the larger one, add mix-ins, and eat the ice cream right out of the bag. Easy cleanup too! Serves 1.

12. Huihong He says:

After reading this article, Crown Restaurant does not like the comfort food to me. I think the comfort food for me is something that you can prepare it easy at home at anytime. My favorite comfort food is strawberry chicken spinach salad. The ingredients for this dish are baby spinach, cooked chicken breast, fresh strawberries, yellow pepper, salt, water and oil. To prepare the salad, you have to toss the spinach, chicken, strawberries, and yellow pepper in a large salad bowl, and then combine the remaining ingredients; shake well. Last, drizzle over salad and toss to coat. It’s very easy to make!

13. Vivian Yu says:

After reading the article, I feel that Crown Restaurant should not be considered as “comfort food”. Other than the mac and cheese and the handkerchief pasta, I don’t see the other dishes as comfort food. To me, comfort food is something that makes you feel very homey and reminds you of something your grandmother made. The food served at Crown Restaurant seems to be too high end to fit to fit into that category; it doesn’t seem like it’s food that is home-made.

My favorite comfort food is Baby Back Ribs.
    The ingredients to make it is simple – baby back ribs, salt, pepper, and barbecue sauce.
    1. Place ribs in a large pot and fill it with enough water to cover. S+P to season. Bring to a boil and cook until tender.
    2. Preheat oven to 325F.
    3. Remove the ribs and place the ribs on a baking pan/dish. Pour the barbecue sauce over the ribs and cover with foil. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hour.

14. The food at Crown restaurant does not seem like comfort food to me. The food at this restaurant seems very expensive and upscale. It seems like a place where I would like to have dinner to celebrate a special occasion, but it is definitely not a place I would go to for comfort food. I would not consider caviar, oysters, or foie fras as comfort food but more like an upscale style of eating. I agree with Mr. DeLucie when he says that this restaurant serves “comfort food for millionaires.” The food here may be considered comfort food for people who fall into that category, but not for me. I would not pay $55 dollars for truffled mac and cheese or $97 dollars for the roast duck unless I was celebrating a very special occasion or someone was paying for my dinner. My favorite comfort food would have to be french fries. All you need is potatoes, salt, and peanut or vegetable oil. You simply boil the potatoes until tender but not falling apart. Then cut the potatoes into thin strips or wedges, deep fry at 350 to 375 degrees until golden brown and season with salt.

15. mstephen says:

I would define comfort food as food that is prepared simply and reminds you of something you grew up eating that made you very happy when you at it. The food at Crown doesnt sound very comforting with a few exceptions. For example, I would describe the trufled mac and cheese as elivated comfort food because gooey mac and cheese will always remind people of their childhood but dishes like tasmanian trout tartare, beef crudo, or foie gras terrine are dishes you wouldnt typically see being made by a home cook and is something you try if you looking for exciting, new, creative, fancy, and expensive food.

My favorite comfort food would have to be Haitien Squash Soup which is something my grandmother used to make for me growing up.

Haitien Squash Soup
    1 lb. cubed beef stew meat
    1 lb. chicken
    1 frozen squash
    1 boniata
    1 spinach
    1 malanga
    2 onions-sliced
    3 large carrots
    6 medium potatoes
    1/4 lb spaghetti or noodles
    3 tbsp seasoned salt
    2 limes cut in half
    2 tsp. thyme
    2 tsp parsley
    1/2 cup scallions
    salt, black pepper, and hot pepper to taste

Directions
    1.Clean the meat with hot water and lemon ans set aside in a bowl.
    2.Add seasoning salt and set aside for 2 hrs. Boil meat in stockpot with 3 quarts of water until tender (about 1 1/2 – 2 hrs).
    3.Add more additional water if necessary and remaining ingredients except noodles. Cook for 20 minutes and add noodles

16. Thanatcha says:

The food at Crown does not sound like a comfort food to me except the $55 truffled macaroni and cheese one and also the price is very high. i can imagine how the food would be served on each plates after i read the article. For example,the tough, roast duck, which feeds two grumbling people for $97 will be the small pieces on the plate with a very classy presentation. Then customers will get excited about the presentation and think that the food iworth the money they are paying. My favorite comfort food is a chicken fried rice because it is my culture food.
    The ingredients are..
    •4 cups cooked rice, preferably several days old (see recipe)
    •1/2 to 1 cup cooked chicken or turkey, OR fresh (uncooked) chicken, cut into very small pieces
    •1/4 cup chicken stock
    •3 cloves garlic, minced
    •1 minced green or red chili, OR 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
    •2 Tbsp. fish sauce (plus more to taste)
    •3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    •1/2 cup frozen peas
    •1 egg
    •3 spring (green) onions, finely sliced
    •1/2 cup fresh basil OR coriander/cilantro

Preparation:
    1.First, prepare cold rice by drizzling over 1 Tbsp. of the oil. Use your fingers to mix the oil in with the rice and separate the rice grains, removing any clumps.
    2.Place remaining oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chili. Stir-fry until fragrant (30 seconds to 1 minute).
    3.Add chicken plus 2 Tbsp. stock. Stir-fry enough to thoroughly warm the meat if cooked. If raw, stir fry until meat is well cooked (3-5 minutes). Add remaining stock, as necessary, to prevent the pan from becoming dry and to keep ingredients sizzling.
    4.Using a wooden spoon or spatula, push ingredients aside and crack the egg into the middle of the wok/pan. Stir quickly to cook and break up the egg (like making scrambled eggs).
    5.When egg is cooked, add the rice plus fish sauce. Stir fry, keeping the heat medium-high. Do not add any more stock/liquid at this point, or your rice will become soggy. You want it hot and dry and light-textured.
    6.Add frozen peas and continue to stir-fry another 2-3 minutes, or until you can hear the rice “popping”. Cooking Tip: If you find the rice is sticking, push the rice aside and add a little more oil to the bottom of the pan – this will make the rice “shine”, like restaurant quality fried rice.
    7.Do a taste-test for saltiness. If not salty or flavorful enough, add more fish sauce. If too salty for your taste (this will depend on the stock you used), add up to 1 Tbsp. fresh-squeezed lime juice.
    8.Sprinkle with spring onion and basil or coriander, and serve piping hot from the wok/pan. Thai chili sauce can be served on the side. Enjoy!

17. victoria says:

After reading Crown’s restaurant review it does not sound like comfort food to me . Comfort food to me should remind you of something from your childhood and mac & cheese with truffle is something that does not remind anyone of there childhood mac & cheese.
    My favorite comfort food is pastel. It is made with cooked grounded pork and a flour dough. The dough is made with flour, water, a little sugar, and salt. It is rolled out into little balls and left to sit for 10 mins. Its is then diped in oil and flattened on banana leaves. It is then filled with the cooked pork and wrapped in the banana leaf and boiled.

18. Jia Sun says:

– I think Crown’s food does not sound like comfort food for me. For me, comfort food is a food which can recall my memories or make me feel relaxed and happy.
    – My favorite comfort food is Tiramisu.
    – The ingredients have egg yolks, sugar, mascarpone cheese, heavy whipping cream, packages ladyfingers and coffee flavored liqueur. 1, combine egg yolks and sugar over boiling water. 2, add mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined. 3, whip cream to stiff peaks. Gently fold into yolk mixture and set aside. 4, Split the lady fingers in half, and line the bottom and sides, brush with coffee liqueur. Spoon half of the cream filling over the lady fingers. Repeat ladyfingers, coffee liqueur and filling layers. 5, Refrigerate several hours or overnight.

19. Jessie Ruggiero says:

When thinking of comfort food, I define it as something your heart loves to eat. The food at Crown is comfort food to an extent. Comfortable in the belly but extremely uncomfortable in the wallet! Different meat plates and mac and cheese can satisfy any belly however $97 can quickly make any belly call for Tums. Hoewver there are people in the world, espically in New York, that think one hundred dollar bills are pocket change and when they see high prices they are comforted. So yes, in a weird and high priced way Crown is comfort food.
    My favorite comfort food has to be a slice (or two!) of delicious Spinach and Artichoke pizza! (espically and only from Artichoke!)
    Of course Artichoke’s recipe is kept a secret a basic run down of the ingredients and how it is prepared is as followed:
    -pizza dough
    -olive oil
    -onions
    – artichoke hearts
    – salt and pepper
    – chopped spinach
    – cheese
    Firstly you shape the dough into a pizza disk, then in a skillet add the artichoke hearts, salt and pepper, onions and cook for about 10 minutes. Then add olive oil and spinach and heat for about 2 minutes. Then spread on pizza dough and cook until golden crust!

20. Amanda sylvestre says:

I for one believe that most of the food at Crowns restaurant probably aren’t all comfort foods. The ones mentioned in the article does not really seem to be comfort foods, unless cheese or beef is your comfort food. Comfort food to me is food that relaxes you or brings a sense of comfort when stressed or upset. For one my comfort food is any type of cereal with 2% milk, but also cereal bars preferably peanut butter captain crunch.
    The main ingredients for Capt’N Crunch peanut butter is:

5 cups Cap’n Crunch’s Peanut Butter Crunch® Cereal
    ¾ cup dry roasted salted peanuts
    ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
    3 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1 bag (10 ounces) marshmallows
    1/3 cup creamy peanut butter.

Preparations are:
    Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, extending the ends over the edge; lightly grease with non-stick cooking spray.
    Combine cereal, peanuts and chocolate chips; set aside.
    Place butter in large microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds or until melted. Add marshmallows and peanut butter; toss to combine.
    Microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds; stir. Continue to microwave an additional 45 seconds or until marshmallows are melted; stir.
    Working quickly, add cereal mixture and stir to combine. Press mixture firmly into prepared pan; cool completely.
    Lift bars out of pan using edges of foil. Cut into squares for serving.
    I wouldn’t mind eating at the Crown restaurant but I would have to be rich first. 🙂

21. Beata Mroczka says:

The food that was mentioned as being served in the Crown restaurant such as raw dry-aged beef does not make me think of comfort food especially when a dinner for two averages at $200.To me comfort food is food that is not expensive, is simple and can be prepared in a short period of time. Its the sort of food that you remember your parents prepared all the time for you to eat and its the food that you feel safe eating. My favorite comfort food is a chicken cutlet served with a cucumber salad with dill sour cream. To make the chicken cutlet you would need a boneless chicken breast,
    eggs, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. You would first need to beat the eggs, then you would take the chicken and season it. Dip it in the eggs and coat with the bread crumbs. Then in a skillet fry the chicken cutlets until cooked and golden brown. For the cucumber salad you would need cucumbers, dill, onion, salt, pepper, sour cream, and vinegar. You would first need to slice the cucumbers and place them in a colander, sprinkle with salt and pepper and let it rest for about 10 minutes until the cucumbers release their water. You would then drain them and put in a bowl. Afterward add the chopped dill, a sprinkle of vinegar, chopped small onion and sour cream and mix until blended. I would definitely recommend this salad on a hot summer day because it is very refreshing and easy to make.

22. Tiffany Onate says:

i would say After reading the article “Comforts of Millionares”, personally comfort should be in a more wallet friendly environment. i would not ever think on paying $55 on truffles and macaroni and cheese. i can make that plate at home. Also on funnier terms, if i was depressed or just wanted something to make my grin go from ear to ear. i wouldn’t take the time to go to a high class fine dining restaurant for a quick pick me up.But, then again the title does say comforts for millionaires so comfort can be for anyone at any level i would suppose. if you would ask me if its comfort food in my own eyes, i would say no. the food is too expensive and no one spending that kind of money isn’t or shouldn’t feel that comfortable.
    i really dont have a specific comfort food, but one of them are cinnabons.
    It would probably be a simple bun recipe but they make it different and better . i really want to make it in my own house. no one so far has ever topped them at what they do best.

23. The food at Crown restaurant does not sound comfort food to me because comfort food should remind you of a home cook meal, and it should also be an inexpensive food. My favorite comfort food is a Korean dish called Gamjatang. Gamjatang is a traditional Korean spicy soup made with pork spine or pork neck, vegetables, and hot peppers. I love the one with kimchi in it! The pork is cook until it’s tender, then vegetables and spices are added. This soup is best especially on a cold day!

24. Mary Moy says:

After reading the restaurant review for Crown, I don’t thing the food they serve are “comforting” especially not after seeing the prices. I wouldn’t pay for a $55 mac and cheese when i can make that easy at home for a way cheaper price. When I’m eating comfortable food i want to be in casual and comfotable clothing and not having to worry about dressing formal and not getting any food on my clothing. There are some parts of the review that make me want to try out the restaurant one day, maybe when I’m a millionaire. Comfort food to me is more like a dessert, or fast food, or something easy and quick to eat that’s also not too pricey but, one of my favorite comfort food is Cookie and Cream cheesecake. You would need:
    1 cup crushed OREO Cookies (about 12 cookies)
    1 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
    4 pkg. (8 oz. each) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    4 eggs
    20 OREO Cookies, quartered
    Preheat oven to 325°F, Mix crushed cookies and butter; press onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Bake 10 minutes. Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low speed. Gently stir in quartered cookies. Pour over crust. Bake 1 hour or until center is almost set. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

25. christianh says:

The food at Crown restuarant does not sound like “Comfort” food. But to certain people it might seem like that. When im eating comfort food i want to be surrounded by a soothing environment, which puts me in a “Stress free” position. When it comes to buying Comfort food, i feel it is priceless and if it is something that really satisfys you, then you should spend as much money as possible to create this dish.

Some of my favorite Comfort foods, includes Shrimp & Lobster Artichoke fettuccine, Chicken, Macoroni & Cheese, Eggplant Parm, Apple turnover, Red Velvet Cake, Sweet potatoes, and Fried Green Tea Ice Cream.

Eggplant Parm Recipe:
    3 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
    2 eggs, beaten
    4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
    1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2.Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes on each side.
    3.In a 9×13 inch baking dish spread spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.
    4.Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.

26. Sheveen Vassell says:

After reading the review on Crown I don’t belive that they are serving comfort food. To me comfort food are the foods that I use to eat when I was younger (when I had a lot less stress), that was made by either my mother or grandmother. I also think that while eating comfort food I shouldn’t have to dress formally, be able to use minimal utensils, I want to feel relax (like when I was younger) , and it should not be very expensive. My favorite comfort food called Pholourie.

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups split peas powder
    1/2 cup flour
    1 clove garlic, pureed
    1- 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1- 1/2 black pepper
    1 teaspoon saffron powder or 2 tsp curry powder
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    oil for deep frying

1.Mix split peas powder with all ingredients except water.
    2. Add enough water to make a thick batter. Let rest for 1 hour.
    3. Heat oil in heavy pot.
    4. Drop batter, a teaspoon at a time into the hot oil, and let cook until puffed and golden brown.

It is served with a thin fruit chutney sauce or a peppery tamarind sauce. 

27. Richard Hernandez says:

Half of the foods mentioned by the author were unknown to me, the only one I think was really a comfort food was the macaronni and cheese but without the truffles added because I never had any truffles added to my mac and cheese.
    My favorite comfort food would be the chicken soup. The way my mom makes it is by poaching the chicken. Once thats done all the vegetables are added like carrots and onions. She also adds the bouillon cubes, im not too sure how many she adds. Sometimes she adds the melon seed pasta or the very thin sticks of pasta.

28. Stacy-Ann Kelly says:

The food at Crown’s Restaurant does sound like comfort food because it’s light, it’s not heavy on the stomach. Everyone have their diiferent perceptions of comfort food. At Crown’s Restaurant I think they just put a little spin on their comfort food. I think comfort food are easy and quick to prepare and I also think that preparing comfort food has alot to do with the method of cooking. Mac and cheeese is easy to prepare and everyone enjoys it.
    My comfort food is Ackee and saltfish, with fried dumpling. I like it because it’s very tasteful. The ingredients are: ackee, saltfish, onions, tomatoe, thyme, peppers and scallion. For the dumpling the ingredients are: flour, baking powder, salt and butter.

29. Natalie Brown says:

The food at Crown’s restaurant was indeed elaborate and exquisite but I would not consider this as comfort food for me. Some may disagree, but sometimes less is more. I believe in a restaurant, all factors should be considered such as the location, lighting, menu and ambiance. I have a wide selection of favorite foods but I would choose Fettuccine with Creamy Tomato Italian Sausage Sauce.
    INGREDIENTS
    • 2 Tbsp olive oil
    • 3 shallots, chopped
    • 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
    • 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
    • 1/2 pound spicy or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
    • 1 cup whipping cream
    • 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
    • 1 Tbsp dried sage
    • 3/4 pound fettuccine
    • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    METHOD
    1 Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add sausages and sauté until no longer pink, breaking up the sausages a bit, about 5 minutes. Add cream; simmer 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices. Add sage. Simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
    2 Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
    3 Return pasta to same pot; add sauce. Toss over medium heat until sauce coats pasta, adding reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture is dry. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl; sprinkle with cheese and serve.

30. jenny zhu says:

After I read this article, I felt that the food at Crown Restaurant does not seem like comfort food to me. The comfort food should be simple and easy to make. My comfort food is Chinese Hot and Sour Soup. It’s easy to make, and it’s good to have it during any seasons.
    Ingredients: Dried black mushroom, chicken stock, Lean Pork (cut julienne), Bamboo shoots (cut julienne), soy sauce, white pepper, cornstarch, Rice Vinegar, Oriental Sesame Oil, Eggs lightly beaten, Scallion (sliced thin), Cilantro (chopped).
    Procedure:
    1. Place dried mushroom in the bowl. Add enough boiling water to cover mushroom. Let stand until soft.
    2. Drain and cut off the mushrooms, cut the caps into strips.
    3. Combine the stock and the mushroom liquid in a saucepot. Bring to a boil.
    4. Add the mushrooms, pork, bamboo shoot, soy sauce and white pepper.
    5. Simmer 3 mins
    6. Mix the cornstarch with the cold water until smooth.
    7. Add the cornstarch mixture to the simmering soup, stirring constantly.
    8. Simmer until the soup is lightly thickened.
    9. Add the vinegar and sesame oil to soup.
    10. Solely drizzle in the beaten eggs, stirring slowly but constantly so that the egg coagulates in thin shreds.
    11. At service time, top each portion with a few slices of scallion and a pinch of chopped cilantro.
    Jenny Zhu

31. imatias89 says:

After looking at the menu from the Crown Restaurant’s website the kind of food that they make seem like the kind of food that is taught in culinary class. Its not the kind of food that I will regulary eat or the kind of place that I will dine at because when you have to dress a certain way to go to a restaurant or the news speaks about a restaurant that is millionaire style I automatically start thinking that if I were to go to a restaurant like Crown not only will I have to dress a certain way I will also have to eat a certain way and act a certain way. The food at Crown don’t sound like comfort food they sound like overpriced experiments. A comfort food that I really like are appetizers like guacamole and chips.

3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
    1 lime, juiced
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 medium onion, diced
    2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
    1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    1 clove garlic, minced

In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Then, fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve.

32. jelani crawford says:

Personally I believe anything that you love to eat that can help improve or stabilize your mood is a comfort food no matter how expensive or cheap it is. After reading this article I would say that the Crown does offer a comfort food dish such as the $55.00 truffled mac and cheese. Honestly I wouldn’t pay that much for mac and cheese especially since I could just make my own mac and cheese for a lot cheaper, plus I am not a fan of truffles.

My favorite comfort food is mashed potatoes with melted warm butter. The ingredients I use are 2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces, 3 tablespoons of salt, 1 cup of salt, 4 tablespoons of old unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, and .5 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper. I usually eat this on rainy day or when I am doing h.w.

33. yanaira1 says:

I wouldn’t consider Crown Restaurant to have comfort food. Comfort food to me is a place where you can enjoy what you are eating without having to guess whats on the menu. The prices for the items on the menu are overly priced. A lot of the items they sell there I don’t eat. Basically even if I had the money to go there I wouldn’t because I wont be in my comfort zone. My comfort food that I enjoy eating I would have to say is Baked Ziti.

Baked Ziti Recipe:
    1 pound dry ziti pasta
    1 onion, chopped
    1 pound lean ground beef
    2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
    6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Procedures:
    Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.
    In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9×13 inch baking dish. Layer as follows: 1/2 of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
    Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.

This recipe and procedures are completely easy and at the end you will be delighted to have eaten it. I hope you all enjoy Baked Ziti as much as I do.

34. Nadia Gellizeau says:

After reading the Restaurant review for the Upper East side restaurant Crown i feel they digress from the true meaning of comfort food. When i think of comfort food i think of a mom and pops kind of restaurant. something that is hardy, that is much like home cooking and that is inexpensive. This restaurant seems to move away from the idea of what comfort food is and relying on what the outside appearance of the restaurant should be.
    My favorite kind of comfort food is my mothers home cooking from Trinidad. For me that food is authentic and reminds of my child hood. Food like that doesn’t have pressure of a uppity, aristocracy feel to it. My favorite food is Curry Crab with Dumplings.
    The dumplings are made with flour, water, salt and baking powder. You have to combine all ingredients together and you round off small pieces of the dough.
    For the crab you have to first cook curry powder, goat milk and onions and than you can add in your crab and dumplings. Everything has to sit and stew for around 30 minutes.

35. Faith Johnson says:

Honestly all the food there sounds like comfort food there because all food to me is comfort food. If I have anything that gets me full and sleepy that is what I call comfort food. If I have enough of one thing that is flavorful, juicy, and an adventure than I’m going to enjoy the nap after it’s done. I cant say that I have a particular dish that is my most favorite because I end up not having a taste for something after a while. I would go to this restaurant and ask them to put me in the darkest corner and allow me to fall asleep after desserts. (lol) It would be funny and unethical but the way they made groups for the type of people that would eat there (i.e. carnivores) made it seem like they made meals to put people to sleep.

36. Radairis Pepen says:

After reading the Crown restaurant review, I can get the sense of a rather elegant and sophisticated setting. I really dont think their food sounds comforting, not only because nothing mentioned in this review sounded appealing to me, but also the meals are quite over priced. There is a good point made that the location of the restaurant may contribute to the high quality service and food offered. But when it comes to comfort food I think of my mother’s deliciously homemade Sancocho of Dominican origin.

Some of its main ingredients are: chicken, oxtail, plantains, green bananas, yucca (cassava,tapioca,manioc), White Yam, pumpkin, corn, Water, oregano, Seasoning:Accent-Adobo-Sopita Knorr, onion, Lemon, garlic (smashed), parsley, and cilantro

37. nancyle says:

The menu items at Crown, yes indeed, does sound like comfort food, but they are actually not. What I am trying to say is that when I think of comfort food, I may think of Mac and cheese, but not at a $55 price range! So overall, I do not think they serve comfort food.
    A comfort food that I enjoy, is Vietnamese Pho which my sister cooks every now and then. The main ingredients includles, noodles, clear beef broth, slim cuts of beef, onion, spices, green onions, white onions, coriander, basil, chili peppers, lemon or lime wedges, bean sprouts and any stype of sauce you prefer (fish sauce, Hoisin or chili sauce).

38. Nicole says:

I do not think that truffled macaroni is comfort food. When i hear comfort food, i think of lasagna, fried chicken, and chicken pot pie. My family is from New Orleans so and in New Orleans, one od our comfort foods is gumbo, which happens to be my favorite. Gumbo is simple to make because every ingredient gets cooked together like a soup in large pot.

Ingredients:

shrimp
    okra
    craw fish
    bell peppers
    garlic
    onions
    celery
    chicken with the bone
    pepper
    salt
    Louisiana hot sauce

There is so many more ingredients, and you can also add some of your own. Comfort food is cooking with soul, its cooking from your heart.

39. Nicole says:

I do not think that truffled macaroni is comfort food. When i hear comfort food, i think of lasagna, fried chicken, and chicken pot pie. My family is from New Orleans so and in New Orleans, one of our comfort foods is gumbo, which happens to be my favorite. Gumbo is simple to make because every ingredient gets cooked together like a soup in large pot.

Ingredients:

shrimp
    okra
    craw fish
    bell peppers
    garlic
    onions
    celery
    chicken with the bone
    pepper
    salt
    Louisiana hot sauce

40. Yatta Kamara says:

No, not at all. Crown really does not serve comfort food, and it’s very exspensive. Caviar, Oysters, Foie Gras and dry-aged Sirloin and truffled macaronia and cheese does not fit the comfort list. Comfort foods are foods you sit back while watching television and eating, for example: fried chicken, mac and cheese.

Ingredients

chicken
    flour
    cayenne pepper
    eggs
    milk
    oil

I really make good fried chicken.

41. Emmanuella Kalliangas says:

What does one think of when it comes to comfort food? Anything thats stimulating and thats sentimentally “comforting” to eat. I feel that the title “comfort food for millionaires” is spot on since Crown Restaurant is clearly the epitome of that, from the truffled mac’ and cheese, caviar, oysters, foie Gras and dry-aged Sirloin. People can actually afford this? ha. I would love to dine here some day but thats obviously not anytime soon, unless i hit the lottery (wishful thinking). In terms of what my definition of comfort food is, it would most likely have to be my grandmas homemade apple pie with a scoop of vanilla icream to top it off.

Ingredients:
    Flaky Pastry- Pie Crust (2)
    Apples- Filling
    Cinnamon- Filling
    White Sugar- Filling
    Lemon juice- Filling
    Brown Sugar- Filling
    Nutmeg- Filling
    Butter- Filling
    Bake at 425* till golden brown and top it off with a beautiful scoop of Haagen Dazs vanilla icecream. (yum! I am salivating just from thinking about it)

42. Emmanuella Kalliangas says:

1. What does one think of when it comes to comfort food? Anything thats stimulating and thats sentimentally “comforting” to eat. I feel that the title “comfort food for millionaires” is spot on since Crown Restaurant is clearly the epitome of that, from the truffled mac’ and cheese, caviar, oysters, foie Gras and dry-aged Sirloin. People can actually afford this? ha. I would love to dine here some day but thats obviously not anytime soon, unless i hit the lottery (wishful thinking). In terms of what my definition of comfort food is, it would most likely have to be my grandmas homemade apple pie with a scoop of vanilla icream to top it off.
    Ingredients:
    Flaky Pastry- Pie Crust (2)
    Apples- Filling
    Cinnamon- Filling
    White Sugar- Filling
    Lemon juice- Filling
    Brown Sugar- Filling
    Nutmeg- Filling
    Butter- Filling