Memo – Red Hook Tavern

New York City College of Technology, CUNY 

Hospitality Management Department

Janet Lefler dining room

To: Professor Abreu

From: Sarah Hemmerle

Date: 10/2/2019

Re: A Brooklyn Burger that Conjures old New York. 

Billy Durney, a man well known for his amazing fried chicken and cooking skills, restaurant owner and pit-master. Owner of a newly opened restaurant called Red Hook Tavern in Brooklyn. Durney is also known for owning a restaurant called Hometown Bar -B -Que famous for his chicken and steak that opened in 2012. Red Hook opened on July 2019, and since then it has been a success. Appealing from the inside out with its rustic charm, and cool interior decorating of electrified gas lamps, white oak bar and wearing wallpaper that give it that 21st-century saloon look. The star of the menu is something that is found almost anywhere at your average American restaurant, a cheeseburger. Not Durney’s famous chicken but a cheeseburger. This is not a regular cheeseburger, as Pete Wells the New York Times food critic writes its a pub burger, only served at lunch, a thicker than average patty served with American cheese, onions and a side of fries.

Allison Plumber the chef at Red Hook has done most of her work in Brooklyn cooks the strip steak very well. To quote Wells “a touch so right it may qualify as art”. Pete Wells states that this burger is “one of the few absolutely mandatory burgers in NYC”. Wells rated this restaurant two stars, with the prices being moderate, the noise level on the higher side and a unique atmosphere. He recommends the New York strip steak, tavern burger and to try some of the local beers and wines that are offered. 

I think I would not go to this restaurant because it doesn’t sound that unique in my opinion. It’s just like your typical American restaurant with burgers, fries, beer, pickles, and steak. I don’t like to eat that kind of cuisine so I would not eat at Red Hook. 

Newly opened restaurant with a burger as its star