Diamond Memo Post

New York City College of Technology, CUNY

Department of Hospitality Management

Janet Lefler Dining Room

MEMORANDUM

To: Professor Abreu, Director of Service

From: Diamond John

Date: 02/28/19

RE:Can a Pop-Up Settle Down Without Losing Its Fizz?

In this article, Pete Wells speaks about restaurant “Oxalis”. Oxalis once used to do pop-up shops and in this article Wells critiques how to upkeep the excitement now that the restaurant has settled down. We will discuss Wells thoughts on the restaurant, and my outlook on service and Oxalis itself.

Firstly Wells speaks about Oxalis’ excitement being a pop up shop. Oxalis’ pop ups would sell many tickets and Wells’ thinks it is due to guest feeling they are discovering a new experience and new flavors. Through a couple of ways Wells feels that Oxalis’ exciting feel might deteriorate. These include the bar, which is to the rear of the restaurant and completely separated. Finally the service seemed very rehearsed and try being that the servers used very dry phrases that didn’t sound natural. The dining area seemed to be very serious, in accordance with the servers spiels, and though that isn’t horrible, that is not what the owner is going for therefore the restaurant’s appearance needs more flavor.  On a brighter side Wells enjoyed the restaurant’s Non-Alcoholic beverages, wine list and, the menu. Dishes were seasonal, very nicely presented and, flavor shined through.

Overall I believe I wouldn’t go to this restaurant. The mood seems very serious and in Pete Wells words “Solemn”, almost too much for my liking. The prefix is also a bit pricey, but I might consider visiting on a special occasion. As far as service I would ask my staff to practice authenticity but proper word or phrase usages so that conversations don’t feel rehearsed. Wells gave Oxalis One star and according to his judgements, it is justified.

Providing Over 70 Years of Quality Service to the Hospitality Industry