Hello everyone!

We are almost one month into this semester. How do you feel about it? I hope you understand how to use OpenLab and BlackBoard by now. If not, let me know.

Tip: Your course home page is BlackBoard shows you when homework is due soon. And your Professor posts helpful information about homework on OpenLab.

These times are stressful because you might have many classes and all of them have homework due soon. Many of you might be struggling because of this (including me). I tell myself to not stress over it and do them one by one.

Advice: Manage your time wisely. Set a time to do homework and breaks. It can be a continuous homework schedule and a long break after or can be shorts breaks in between. Either one is fine as long as you can finish it without losing focus. During my breaks, I like to stay away from my computer and my phone as well!! Please take care of your eyes!

Do not hesitate to ask for help. Contact me if you have any questions or problems! I can help you to find a solution. We can get through this semester together.

Here are some interesting events this week:

1) National Voter Registration Day, Tuesday, September 22nd

Take action, join student leaders and volunteers to text peers, friends, family and others on your contact list encouraging them to register to vote.

Check out  @citytechsld on Instagram for more information.

2) Voter Registration Panel + Discussion, Friday, September 25th

Promoting Voter Registration -Join us as student leaders and volunteers follow-up with a panel discussion to answer student questions about voter registration and absentee ballots.

NYPIRG AND SGA Collaboration

Check out  @citytechsga on Instagram for more information.

3) CREAR FUTUROS Meet-up: This group meet-up will be about all of us getting to know each other and the resources CREAR has to offer as we embark together on this virtual/distance-learning journey together! All are welcome!

Tuesday 9/22 at 12:30pm 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScymJfLMS8XkAJTO9tlSoHneAX5Bfg2iG8dPr8-MruDz47l7g/viewform

Thursday 9/24 at 12:30pm

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdEoAztvRHZ08kqwVpoLtNavWlA039oTZpE98f2fb7ghA0Yng/viewform

4) CRITICAL INFO with NGOZI: Complete the Census!

Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/fPuDO1nHRNw

Fill out the census here: my2020census.gov

5) Student Life Sponsors: National Hispanic Heritage Month, MOVIE NIGHT

Thursday, September 24th @ 12:30PM

Feature Presentation: FRIDA

6) Hispanic Heritage Month: September 15th – October 15th

Social Media Activities by @citytechsld

• APRENDE A HABLAR ESPAÑOL/Learn to Speak Spanish

Word of the Day
Tell us how you would use the word of the day in a sentence. Type the sentence out and #espanolwithcitytech or tag @citytechSLD

• HISPANIC HERITAGE TURN UP: A Bailar!

Turn up SLD’s Office Playlist by adding your favorite track #SLDturnup

• HISPANIC SPOKEN WORD POETRY CONTEST

Topic: Identidad (Identity)

To participate post your poem on your Instagram story. Be sure to tag @citytechSLD and include #identitycitytech. SLD will share all entries.

Voting will be done on Instagram. The winner will be determined through student votes. Students will vote by responding to SLD’s question sticker with the IG handle of the participant they thought had the best poem.

Prizes will be given for 1st and 2nd place.

7) Workshops from the Counseling Center. Email counseling@citytech.cuny.edu for links to workshops.

• Getting Motivated to Study Adjusting to the changes of remote learning can heighten doubts and can compromise motivation. This workshop teaches skills to counter the expectations of failure. You’ll learn about the relationship between thoughts, feelings and behaviors; uncover the underlying beliefs that fuel negative thoughts and practice constructive alternatives to increase hopefulness and motivation.
    Wednesday 9/23 @ 2:30PM

8) Free Online Citizenship Classes for Green Card Holders 

9) Campus Movie Fest Comes to City Tech! The world’s largest student film festival like you’ve never experienced it before. More info here. 

10) Online Tutoring is Available for the following Math and Biology Courses: MAT 1275CO, MAT 1275, MAT 1375, MAT 1475, MAT 1575, BIO 1101 and BIO 1201. See Flyer for details on scheduling an appointment.

Best,

Lucy.