The Carlyle, Site Visit (Janice Guo)

The field trip to the Carlyle Hotel was an incredibly enjoyableĀ learning experience.

Did you feel prepared for what you experienced during the site visit?

I was not prepared for the complete experience that was provided when at the Carlyle. First doing my research, I knew the hotel was a luxury hotel and it catered to the elite class using the classic approach. What I was not expecting was exactly how old fashioned and true they kept their “classic” style. The dimly lit lobby, the cabaret restaurant, the mail slots behind the front desk, and even the beautiful paintings on the wall; all gave the old, timeless and welcoming ambience when I stepped into the hotel. I was not prepared for the immense amount of detail the hotel put into their style.

What was the most significant information you learned while on the site visit?

The most significant information I learned while at the hotel was from what most of the speakers told us. Many of them were lost, just like me, until they decided to take a step into the hospitality field. Where one manager decided to go to school for hospitality somewhere in Europe, another started work at a restaurant. From there, both slowly climbed the ladder of the hospitality field and achieved the position that they are now. This inspired me, provingĀ people successful now were also lost at some point during the past.