Jazmin Rodriguez – Chapter 10 Summary

Chapter Summary

This chapter focuses on all aspects of Recreation. Makes a distinction between commercial and noncommercial recreation and names various types of recreational clubs. Describes the origin of government sponsored recreation in consideration of the origin and purpose of national parks and explains the concept of recreation for special populations.  It also talks about national parks, and introduces Walt Disney.

Key Words and Concepts

1. City Clubs. My example: The Women’s City Club is a women’s club that offers a number of classes and recreation programs for women.
  2. Club Management. My example: The golf club management must make sure the workers do a thorough inspection of the golf course.
  3. Commercial Recreation. My example: Every Summer I like to visit new commercial recreational parks.
  4. Country Club. My example: George Clooney belongs to one of the most expensive and prestigious country clubs along with many rich individuals.
  5. Government-Sponsored Recreation. My example: New public libraries are opening throughout the city under the government sponsored recreational programs.
  6. Heritage Tourism. My example: An example of heritage tourism is The Punta Cana Ecological Foundation in the Dominican Republic.
  7. Leisure. My example: Jose doesn’t know how to relax really, and usually spends his leisure time working around the house.
  8. National Park. My example: An example of a national park is Yellowstone National Park which encompasses over two million acres.
  9. National Parks Service. My example: The Statue of Liberty National Monument is managed by the National Parks Service.
  10. National Register of Historic Places. My example: Statistically each year approximately 30,000 properties are added to the National Register of Historic Places.
  11. Noncommercial Recreation. My example: “I’m Too Young For this” is a noncommercial recreation organization that has been able to do for young adults who are living with cancer.
  12. Recreation. My example: Every now and then, I play tennis for recreation.
  13. Recreation for Special Populations. My example: The recreation for special populations provide year round recreational and leisure opportunities for children and adults with disabilities.
  14. Recreation Management. My example: The average salary for people with degrees in recreation management is $36,000 to $40,000 for entry level positions.
  15. Theme Parks. My example: My favorite theme park is Typhoon Lagoon in Orlando, Florida.
  16. Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT). My example: Airbnb will begin collecting transient occupancy taxes for San Francisco bookings next month.
  17. Voluntary Organizations. My example: “Fathers Heart Ministries” is considered, one of the top ten voluntary organizations in NYC.