Jazmin Rodriguez – Chapter 1 Summary

This chapter focuses on introducing Hospitality. We learn about its ancient history and the modern and demanding  industry that now is. It describes this fast growing business with details of the characteristics of it, trends, goals, tourism, etc… Additionally explains corporate attitude and the importance of the service in the hospitality industry.  Furthermore it suggests ways to improve services.

Key Terms and Concepts

1. Corporate Philosophy-Textbook def:  The core beliefs that drive a company’s basic organizational structure. My example: The core belief of charter schools is to provide children with the academic foundation and ambition to earn a college degree.
  2. Empowerment– Textbook def:  The act of giving employees the authority, tools, and information they need to do their jobs with great autonomy.  My example: As a staff supervisor, I have been giving the empowerment to authorize overtime when needed it.
  3. Front of the House– Textbook def:  Comprises all areas with which guests come in contact, including the lobby, corridors, elevators, guest rooms, restaurants and bars, meeting rooms and rest rooms. Also refers to employees who staff these areas. My example: Mr. John Doe is a consultant recently hired, to provide training to the front of the house staff at the new Marriott Hotel in Waters Place.
  4. Goal- Textbook def:  A  specific result to be achieved; the end result of a plan. My example: My end goal in the Hospitality Major, is to open my own business.
  5. Guest Satisfaction– Textbook def:  The desired outcome of hospitality services. My example: There are some luxury hotels, encouraging guests to comment on TripAdvisor and other review sites in an effort to access their guests satisfaction.
  6. Heart of the House– Textbook def:  The back of the house. My example: Red Lobster is currently hiring to work in the heart of the house, creating outstanding dishes.
  7. Hospitality– Textbook def:  1. The cordial and generous reception of guest. 2. A wide range of businesses, each of which is dedicated to the services of people away from home. My example:  Includes lodging, event planning, theme parks, transportation, cruise lines, etc…
  8. Inseparability– Textbook def:  The interdependence of hospitality services offered. My example:  For a doctor to give surgical or therapeutic services, the patient should be there.
  9. Intangible– Textbook def:  Something that cannot be touched. My example: My electronic version of the New York Times newspaper is an example, of an intangible asset.
  10. National Restaurant Association (NRA)- Textbook def:  The association representing restaurant owners and the restaurant industry. My example: A full-time student in a 2 or 4 year restaurant/hospitality program, who is 18 years or older can join the National Restaurant Association.
  11. Perishability– Textbook def:  The limited lifetime of hospitality products; for example, last night’s vacant hotel room cannot be sold today. My example: The 2015 summer season passes for Great Adventures cannot be sold after summer is over.
  12. Total Quality Management (TQM)- Textbook def:  A managerial approach that integrates all of the functions and related processes of a business such that they are all aimed at maximizing guest satisfaction through ongoing improvement. My example: A customer goes to a store before the sell period is over looking for an item that is sold out, and the manager promises to bring more and gives the customer a rain check.
  13. Tourism– Textbook def:  Travel for recreation or the promotion and arrangement of such travel. My example: I like to watch shows about tourism because I get ideas which places to travel next.
  14. Sustainability– Textbook def:  Is the ability to achieve continuing economic prosperity while protecting the natural resources of the planet and providing a high quality of life for its people and future generations. My example: The implementation of recycling Programs.
  15. Return on investment (ROA)- Textbook def:  An important financial measure that determines how well management uses business assets to produce profit; also used for planning and forecasting. It provides insight into how efficiently a company is being run by management with regards to its ability to generate profits from the assets available to the company.  My example: Most business owners hire an independent auditing firms to conduct this type of assessment.