Jazmin Rodriguez E-Profile Assignment

Greetings everyone, my name is Jazmin Rodriguez, and this is my first semester back in school after eleven years upon deciding to pursue my Bachelors Degree. To give you an overview of who I am, and who I would like to become, you should know that I migrated to this country and faced several challenges such as, adjusting to a different culture and learning a new language. Now the challenges are different from those when I obtained my Associate Degree with high honors in Liberal Arts.  I am married, have three children and a very demanding full-time job. I’ve passed many years working and helping others accomplish their dreams while mine were put on hold.  There is no one to blame in particular, it was a mistake I made. However, I have taken it as a big part of my learning process and developmental stage of the professional skills that I now posses. Hopefully, not only I have learned from it, but also others will, including my family future generations to come. It is easy to fall into the trap of obtaining an Associate degree and immediately accept a job offer for a decent full time position and believe that you made it. You may think you are pursuing your dreams when in reality you are just helping others reach theirs. It takes more studying, preparation and complying with what is being stipulated in this ever-changing society.

When I graduated, an Associate degree was the socially acceptable standard. A Bachelor’s degree was acknowledged but for many jobs it was not a requirement. In today’s society, an Associate degree has as little value as a High School diploma and the Bachelor’s degree has replaced. One reason why I feel that returning to school is a challenge is because I am no longer a college student free of many financial and family obligations. Spare time may be an issue and my priorities have changed, but my dreams and goals have not. New priorities include my children; my oldest son is going to college next fall, my middle child is going to middle school and my youngest is still in elementary school. I am aware that I need to focus on school and face all obstacles while trying to keep my family’s lives balanced and be there for them when they need me. There are many factors that are encouraging me to further my education. I am confident that this is going to give my family and me much back in return. One of the most important things I want to teach my children is that until you have reached your upmost goal you must not stop trying and do not settle for any less than what you are seeking.

My professional experience is very extensive. I have been working for a CUNY College since I graduated with my Associate degree in different positions and departments.  I have worked with very talented, educated and professional individuals, including teachers, administrators and students. I can confidently say that I have experience and am sympathetic with the students’ needs and in some instances with the college administrators. Some of my personal strengths include being an initiator, a creative, honest, compassionate and humble individual. Additionally, I am very supportive of others and posses excellent abilities of persuasion, leadership, and self-awareness. My personal interest in enhancing my professional quality is primarily to grow and expand my knowledge as a professional and in the different areas of the hospitality industry.

I’ve always had a vision to own my business or at the very least, be in a position where I can develop my ideas and creativity freely while making a difference in the traditional ways of catering and managing. I’ve always liked to gather, entertain and serve as a host to my guests. I love to cook; growing up I viewed it as an art, allowing you to create and share. I would like to teach, manage, supervise and mentor new inexperienced individuals; that will be seeking an opportunity in this competitive field. I am looking forward to a productive semester with my professor, fellow classmates, and leaders of the hospitality industry.