Prof. Goodlad HMGT 1101 | Prof. Stewart HMGT 1102 | Prof. Rosen ENG 1101

Discussion: what we can cut

“Cut” by Delete via Flickr CC BY-NC 2.0

We’re at that point in the semester when that feeling of being overwhelmed takes over. You’ll be done with all of it in a month, but getting through this month is a challenge.

I heard all of you in class asking for more time on Project #2. I want to give you the time you need. But if you take more time, what time will you have for Project #3? Last year when my ENG 1101 was in a similar situation, I asked them to propose the new text rather than creating it, which was less time-intense. I encourage you to take that option if it feels right to you.

But what else can go? What can shrink? What deadlines can expand?

I am asking you to let me know in the comments what is giving you stress, what you dread doing, what is keeping you from succeeding. If I can see a clear path to lightening everyone’s workload while still incorporating the learning goals for the course, I’m happy to do it.

For example, how many glossary entries do you think you can do to learn more words and develop the habit of looking up words as you read?

I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

1. Jody R. Rosen

To get us started: I got a request from one of you asking to submit Project #2 on Monday instead of Sunday. I get it. So I’m offering for everyone to take until Monday. We’ll have to work quickly for Project #3, but we’ll deal with that after Monday.

Please let me know how I can help you finish Project #2, and anything else I can help with.