Update your Concierge Assingment as discussed in class.

Weekly Homework

• Look through the text book with the intention of identifying a segment of the hospitality industry you intend to build your career (not a specific job, a segment). State the segment. Reflect on why you are interested in this segment using evidence from the textbook to explain your answer.
  • Look back at the homework you have completed this semester for HMGT 1101 (this course) and find three vocabulary words you want to explore more deeply. After you identify the words, follow these steps:
    • Create a post for each vocabulary word.
    • Include only the vocabulary word/term in the subject line of the post.
    • In the body of the post, restate the word/term, add its part of speech 
    • Add the text book definition.
    • Find a trade article (use the HMGT1101 Library Guide) that includes the vocabulary word you are learning more about. For instance, if I wanted to learn more about the term “cross-trained” I would search “cross-train” and “restaurant” to ensure my search is specific to the segment of hospitality I am writing about. Use APA format to share the article you found.
    • Quote a passage from the article. The quotation should include more than just the sentence the word is in–a sentence before and after is probably necessary to give appropriate context
    • Explain how you understand the word. In your own words, state what the author conveys. Your purpose is share your developing knowledge.
    • choose the category HMGT1101 Glossary (if your posts are not in that category, I won’t see them to give you credit for them).
    • See my exemplar for clarity.
  • Make sure your Academic Planner is complete for the next two semesters and ensure it is available during class.

Weekly Reading

Read, On a Fall Road Trip in Alaska, Prepare for the Unexpected in the NY Times and respond to these two questions:

• “What is the issue presented in the article?”
  • “What does the information mean to me as a hospitality professional?” Remember to refer to information in the textbook when determining your response.
    • Type your response in the “Weekly Reading” journal of the course BlackBoard site.