Museum Scavenger Hunt
- When: Monday 4.4.22 at 2:30PM
- Where: Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)
11 West 53rd Street, New York City, NY 10019-5401
- We will meet in the lobby of the MOMA between 2:30 and 2:40PM. If you need to reach me you can text me on my cell at: 917.375.3800.
Bring a camera with you to the museum visit. If you are allowed to take pictures, please search for and document as many of the following items as you can. Put together and present a slide show of your images, due 4/11/22
Part I: Wayfinding Systems
Photograph at least 6 images that document parts of the museum’s Signage and Way finding systems – these are design elements that help to orients visitors to the site and navigate where they can go. This include:
- Directional signs
- Large scale type
- Digital displays or kiosks
- Floor or wall graphics (with directional signs)
- Exhibition signs
- Restaurant, Café, Shop and Bathroom signs
- Elevator and escalator signage
- Accessibility and related directional signs
- Aspects of the signage that relate to Museum’s branding
Part II: Exhibition Design
Photograph at least 6 images that relate to the actual exhibitions and how the museum displays and explains the art work.
- Observe the size of the rooms and doorways. Note the scale in relation to the artwork.
- Lighting – note how the rooms are lit. Is there natural light? Spotlights? Recessed lighting?
- Text Panels (poster on the wall or just type in a wall. Usually there to provide context for exhibit)
- Object labels (labels next to artwork, usually with artists name, dates and medium. Please not scale and size of typeface used. Sans serif vs Serif?)
- Reader rails (note height, level of detail of content included, images and related type: including readability, type size paragraph alignment, used of negative space)
- Display Case (size and height, objects displayed within, and related details providing context, i.e. text copy.
- Content presented as a timeline – chronological presentations.