Why should you submit your own work every time
- Historians are professional investigators of the past…the likelihood that you will not be caught is almost zero
- You are an honest person with integrity
- An honest C/D or even F is always better than an F in the course
- The consequences are very steep.
What are the consequences in this course for cheating/plagiarism
1. ANY instance of cheating or plagiarism will result in an F in the course.
2. The incident will be reported to the academic integrity committee and a letter will be sent home for the first offense at CITY TECH.
What is Academic Integrity?
Academic Integrity at City Tech
Students and all others who work with information, ideas, texts, images, music, inventions, and other intellectual property owe their audience and sources accuracy and honesty in using, crediting, and citing sources. As a community of intellectual and professional workers, the College recognizes its responsibility for providing instruction in information literacy and academic integrity, offering models of good practice, and responding vigilantly and appropriately to infractions of academic integrity. Accordingly, academic dishonesty is prohibited in The City University of New York and at New York City College of
Technology and is punishable by penalties, including failing grades, suspension, and expulsion. The complete text of the College policy on Academic Integrity may be found in the catalog.
— NYCCT statement on academic integrity
How do I avoid plagiarism?
How do I avoid cheating during an exam?
- All exams are essay based exams so your answers must be based on your thoughts from the readings assigned to you, my lectures and nothing else.
- Don’t memorize information from the internet. This is actually plagiarism.
- Don’t look at someone else’s paper
- Don’t bring in a cheat sheet or paper with notes
- Don’t photograph notes
- Do not bring in a blue book (if applies) with the test already written in part or in its entirety
- Do not access the internet on any electronic mobile device such as watch, phone or tablet during the test.
- (online or in class) Do not have someone else take the exam for you.
Remember an honest C or D is better than an F in the course…every time