how many pens would you need to get through a semester

My cousin who prepared for his national college entrance examination in China last semester. He asked me an amazing and an interesting question in the weekend. He said he use 117 ball pens, that’s the number of pens likely required to get through a semester. The personal experience illustrate the countless hours of writing a student needs to invest to get through senior year of high school and also prepare for the important exam. Luckily, his hard work paid off and he’s now attending one of the famous universities in China.

“No Paid NO Gain”. He also told me the thick calluses on his hands might even make he cry.
Success does not come easily. Fighting and Cheer up!

12 thoughts on “how many pens would you need to get through a semester”

1. I think you would need alot of pens to use over one semester.I say that because I need alot of pens to write with in one semester because mostly for all of my classes my writing utensil is a pen rather then a mechanical pencil .I use a mechanical pencil only for my math class so that I dont make mistakes.

2. I usually use mechanical pencils but I have 5 pens in the begining if the semester and usually at the end ir tg semester I’m left with two. I don’t loose them its usually out if my possession because I let some kids borrow them. And I usually forget untill I notice them using it again . but I’m not gonna ask for it back . however for mechanical pencils I usually have 1 with a lot of led and just use that . so I guess I use 5 pens a semester

3. In my personal experience, I do not recall how many ball point pens I used to get through a semester in high school. However, I could easily say that I used less than one pen to get through a semester of college during senior year. This does not correlate to my hard work throughout the semester. Like many other students, I had countless projects and homework. Most of my course work was done on my personal laptop. This included reading e-textbooks, taking notes and creating projects. Although I did not use many pens, I did use a lot of paper for making copies and printing. The great amount of time and resources needed for academic success is expected. Congratulations to your cousin!

4. I’m a computer science major so most of my out of school work is done by typing. I can ask a similar question such as how many key strokes I go through an entire semester, however I don’t think these measurements are a good metric to determine someone’s dedication unlike your example with the ball point pens. Needless to say it is a fun statistic to keep track of. Maybe I might use a program to record my keystrokes and study sessions.

5. This is certainly an interesting topic. I would have to say for me, it depends on the class you’re taking for the semester.  There are some semesters I use a lot of pens only. There are some where I use my pencils a lot like this semester for my math class. In this case, I like having atleast three pens and about three to four pencils. I remember a semester where we only used the professor’s slides. That semester I used a lot of paper and printer ink!.. It really depends on the classes you take each semester. Thanks for sharing this.

6. Very interesting…I personally go through many pens mainly because I lose them. But using a pen from start to finish is never something I really accomplished. Mostly when the pen is going dry, it usually gets misplaced.

7. That is a lot of pens. The fact that he counted how many pens is astounding. I only use a mechanical pencil, only because I make a lot of mistakes and my handwriting is terrible. I can draw, but I can not write well. It’s something I would need to learn on how to do better. Pens seem hard to keep track of, how was he able to? Was that the actual number? Did he take into account of lost pens, pens are given away or borrowed? What about the whole usage, was it fully done? And it is true, in order to get something or achieve it, it takes a lot of work.

8. – Haha, this is a really funny post.! to be honest last semester I only had one pen with me.! However, this semester I didn’t let that happen, now I have like 10 pens and two pencils for math. I don’t like to use pencils too much, but at the end, they are the key for math.

9. Well, this is more than a simple question because it’s not all about how many pencil it’s about how many wear and tear on you 😀 However true story I’ve been using only 4 pen’s for 2 semesters straight and i’ll tell you to write on it is very difficult however i’m to poor to buy any new pencil and i don’t have friends so that contributes to my loss. But to answer the question NOT MUCH, unless you use pretty cheap brands.