New Treasure

Check out this link below and play the video.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/earth-size-planets-discovery_us_58ad949fe4b03d80af70e309?section=us_science

7 thoughts on “New Treasure”

1. I think this is really interesting and exciting — the idea that we might, someday, live on another planet is so cool. But really it makes me wonder how we would ever be able to physically transport ourselves there considering how many lightyears away it is!

2. How cool is this? I have always been fascinated by new discoveries in the world of science. But, it really makes you wonder about possibilities. What if our planet; as we know it becomes uninhabitable for some reason, let’s say an irreparable ozone layer. It would be a great second option for us to live there. They would obviously have to find a quick way to get us there since it is many light years away.
    I imagine being charged a hefty price to be transported there.
    Interesting topic! Thanks for sharing with us.

3. This is really cool to think about, but whats the likely hood of humans actually going there? If we travel at exactly the speed of light it would take us 40+ years to reach the planets. On earth we have more interest in fixing problems that already exist than we do funding interstellar travel. No matter what we should continue to research these planets and comapre and contrast them to earth.

4. Absolutely mind blowing. It’s crazy how technology has come so far that we discovered seven new planets. The thought of there being water and different gases, like ours, on these planets leads me to believe there could possibly be living organisms there. Honestly, I’m kind of excited but from a distance. Imagine we actually can travel there and it becomes a scene from Prometheus or any other of the countless alien movies out there. I wonder if there is anything or one living in one of those planets and if they are just like us or slightly different or they are like the X-Men joking of of course… kinda

5. Absolutely mind blowing. It’s crazy how technology has come so far that we discovered seven new planets. The thought of there being water and different gases, like ours, on these planets leads me to believe there could possibly be living organisms there. Honestly, I’m kind of excited but from a distance. Imagine we actually can travel there and it becomes a scene from Prometheus or any other of the countless alien movies out there. I wonder if there is anything or one living in one of those planets and if they are just like us or slightly different or they are like the X-Men joking of of course… kinda

6. This was one of my favorite news of this past week. I wonder what the next generations will see, or how far are we from achieving space travel to distant planets. As long as we don’t destroy ourselves in wars, and instead work together, it seems possible for future generations to achieve this.

7. As mentioned by an earlier commenter, it is true that it would take 40+ years to reach these new planets if we travel at the speed of light. With todays technology we can’t travel close to that speed. Despite this, the mere fact that we were able to find potentially seven habitable new planets is interesting. To be habitable, as the earth is, the planets would need to be mostly water which apparently they are.
    Despite the setback in our lack of ability to reach these new planets, just finding them gives hope that we can find other closer and potentially habitable planets. Although it might seem pointless now, it will be important when new inventions allow us to quickly move through space in the future.