Welcome to MTEC 1102
This course is a hands-on introduction to the best practices for production techniques used in games, interactive and tangible media product development. Students will acquire a deep understanding of content generation, technology pipeline and delivery systems for creating web, mobile, games, virtual & augmented reality, interactive installation and museum display, wearables and physical computing. Students will learn the roles and responsibilities, build the skills for each role, as well as apply the design and development processes for each medium. They will be introduced to design thinking and rapid prototyping techniques, as well the green light process essential to bringing a product to market. The structure of this course emphasizes an integrated and multi-modal approach to game design, interactive media and physical computing with modeled instruction and practice in the technical aspects of production.
– Combine design principles and processes with appropriate technologies and accepted standards and protocols.
– Utilize conceptual frameworks, digital media skills, network-based tools, and participatory environments for communication and collaboration.
– Explore diverse design & development processes across various emerging technology platforms and media touchpoints.
– Develop online research skills associated with a digital culture.
– Collaboration between people with different skills and backgrounds.
By the end of the course students will be able to:
– use the fundamental tools of digital production and online culture.
– incorporate a design process into their projects.
– identify multiple references, resources for problem solving and trouble-shooting.
– explore different methods of interdisciplinary collaboration in order to function as part of a team.
– discuss the evolving technologies and innovative approaches used by professionals.
– work across Media Computation, Game and Interactive Media, Physical Computing, Music Technology.
– clearly communicate ideas using contemporary methods and critique
– understand and employ different design and development pipelines.