Introduction Letter

Nursing Philosophy Statement

Hello everyone, my name is Hazel J. Ashby I am a graduate of LaGuardia Community College LPN-RN Bridge Program. I achieved my Bachelor’s degree from New York City Technology College of Technlogy. I chose nursing as a career primarily because of the love I have for people. I enjoyed taking care of my nieces and nephews when I was an Adolescent. As a child I saw my mom took care of people in the neighborhood that were injured. This was inspiring to me. My mother worked in a nursing school annex. It was there that my curiosity for the human anatomy ignited.

Upon seeing the skeletal outline and several internal organs on display. I began questioning the nursing instructor. Little did I know that this same nursing school would be where my nursing career initially begins. I became an Enrolled Nursing Assistant at that nursing school. I came to the U.S.A. In 1987 took the LPN boards two months later and passed it. I felt the the need to upgrade my status to become a Registered Nurse as my last child approached twelve years. I applied to LaGuardia Community College Nursing Bridge Program and the rest is history.

The nursing philosopher of my choice is Florence Nightingale. I chose her mainly because of her achievements as a nurse in epidemiology. Miss Nightingale was the first epidemiologist. Her statistical analysis connected poor sanitation with cholera and dysentery. She viewed nursing as a search for truth and finding answers to health care questions or discovering and using God’s law of healing in nursing practice. As a result of her thinking out of the box, she was able to use her God given talent which resulted in the reduction of mortality rate.

Florence Nightingale brought about a major reform in hygiene, sanitation, and nursing practice and reduced the mortality rate at the Barracks Hospital in Scutari, Turkey from 42.7% to 2.2% within a 6 month period. This was a remarkable achievement. I have decided to choose specializing in epidemiology as a result of Miss Nightingale’s theories.
I want to also be a certified Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse.

In a few month I will be advancing to obtain my Masters Degree in Nursing Education at either St Joseph College in Brooklyn or Kean University in New Jersey.