Introduction:

What is the history of streetwear? I’m interested in learning about the history of streetwear because as a child growing up, I’ve always loved clothes and shoes or hyped popular brands. What mostly got me into streetwear was the shoes, I liked certain color ways and models of certain sneakers. I expect to find what were the influences for the whole industry to start and how it became what it is today. I expect to find this because the whole industry wouldn’t have became so big for no reason. If I find information that’s completely against what I expected, I would be fine with writing it because at the end of the day it’s still about streetwear and that’s what I’m into.

Source Entry#1:

Block, Elinor. “The History of Streetwear: From Stüssy to Vetements.” Who What Wear, Who What Wear, 1 Nov. 2017, https://www.whowhatwear.com/streetwear.

The article “The History Of Streetwear: From StĂźssy To Vetements,” by Elinor Block talks about the history and the future of streetwear along with some brands that are included in streetwear. Originally, streetwear was a way to describe comfortable clothing, mostly worn by people who skateboards or surfs in Los Angeles. Shawn Stussy, a originator of the streetwear movement, who made surfboards, also started making T-shirts and selling them. For instance, in the text it states “It’s really important to acknowledge that streetwear is a byproduct of wider subcultural movements like hip-hop and skateboarding, so what we now call streetwear has been evolving since the 1970s.” This demonstrates that streetwear was originally a skateboard and surfing brand but overtime it has evolved and changed to not just skating and surfing but more a fashion style as well. After California, the style became more popular with youth culture scenes, especially through skateboarding and hip-hop cultures in New York. A brand called Supreme, which started in 1994 as a skateboard and clothing shop, really continued the trend further. Their brand logo is the iconic red and white logo that states Supreme on it . It is also a very known and quite expensive brand today. Supreme has also collaborates with other brands such as Nike, A Bathing Ape, Louis Vuitton and many others, making streetwear really start to attract the eyes of people. The author is Elinor Block and his tone and attitude is very informative, letting the readers learn about streetwear and how the thing started. The primary audience is targets for young people, skaters, surfers or anyone that is interested in changing their fashion style to streetwear. The article was published in Washington, DC. The purpose of the article is for the author to let readers stay informed about the dynamics of streetwear. The author’s tone is more of a respectful tone. Considering Elinor Block give credits to people who started streetwear, and the brands that really made streetwear evolve over time. This article’s relevance connects back to my question of “what is the history of streetwear?,” because it helps me answer my question. Lastly, the author has cited and credited other experts to prove their point.

Source Entry#2:

Law, Chris. “The History of Streetwear: Past, Present & the Future of Fashion’s Flyest Subset.” THE HISTORY OF STREETWEAR: PAST, PRESENT & THE FUTURE OF FASHION’S FLYEST SUBSET, 30 Sept. 2021, https://cassiuslife.com/356823/the-history-of-streetwear/.

In the article,“THE HISTORY OF STREETWEAR: PAST, PRESENT & THE FUTURE OF FASHION’S FLYEST SUBSET,” written by Chris law, it talks about the past and future if streetwear. Streetwear started to become popular right after World War II.  For instance, in the article it states “There was a youth quake — a moment where people started dressing more casually,” says Jonathan M. Square, Ph.D., Harvard professor, Men wore less suits and more denim, there were more sneakers and less proper shoes.” This demonstrates how streetwear started because people started to wear more casual and less formal clothes. Additionally, casual clothes would be denim, hoodies, T-shirts, sweatpants, or even sneakers. Furthermore, the article says how in recent years, hoodies and sweats has been very popular among people. These garments might have been considered dress down, or a better word, “bummy.” But however, nowadays, it’s nothing to see these pieces go up in value by a tremendous amount. As for the future of fashion, fashion continues to evolve overtime. Streetwear is likely to be cozy, comfortable, and a trend that people are very much leaning into and loving, especially these days. It’s already being seen with people throwing their hoodies or sweaters over their sweats and sneakers. The want and need for genderless clothing will also find its way in streetwear. The author Chris law has a very informative and nostalgic tone because it goes back in time and talks about the past and history of streetwear. He was also very informative about how streetwear started. The primary audience is targets for young people, skaters, surfers or anyone that is interested in changing their fashion style to streetwear. The purpose of this article is for people who are genuinely curious about the history or future of streetwear. This article is relevant because it helps me answer my question which is what is the history of streetwear because if talks about how people started to wear it and how streetwear became a thing. This information can be verified because the author quoted other experts to prove his point.

Entry source#3:

Maling, Francis. “What Is Streetwear? Its History and Evolution.” What Is Streetwear? Its History And Evolution, 11 Nov. 2021, https://greyjournal.net/play/style/defining-streetwear-and-its-evolution/.

In the article “What Is Streetwear? It’s History And Evolution,” by Francis Maling, the author talks about how Streetwear has evolved. From the skateboarding era, to the early surfboarding era in the late 1970s. Streetwear also has its connection in music with the development in hip pop culture as well. In the 80s and 90s, skateboarding brands really helped develop the streetwear culture. Brands like DC Shoes, Vans, and Thrasher Magazine created an appeal and a home or sense of community for skaters worldwide. In the early 2000s, music producers and influencers like Pharrell Williams, Kanye West, and Lil Wayne had interest with japanese streetwear brands such as A Bathing Ape, and  Comme des Garcons, featuring pieces in their videos and references in their music which helped the streetwear industry get to the big culture it is today. The exclusivity factor of limited produced items of shoes, jackets, and t-shirts became the main thing for streetwear hype making a simple t-shirt go up to thousands. For instance, in the text it states” “Streetwear became more approachable than the average high fashion, designer label. It nurtured community, collaboration, and artistic expression”, writes elsewhere in their fashion blog.” This demonstrates how streetwear can be for most people which is why it’s very popular. Today, streetwear has a multiple styles, mixing casual looks, comfortable outfits, and even luxurious fashions. Streetwear became such a big culture, it estimates $185 billion revenue. Its growth and popularity will continue to evolve in the next few years because of the success it has. The article “What is streetwear? It’s history and evolution,” by Francis Maling was published on November 11th, 2021. The audience is targeted towards young people. For instance, in the text it states “Not only does streetwear appeal to teens and young adults, but the pivot into luxury appeals to the high-end fashion world has created an industry growth alongside notable brands like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and Balenciaga. Celebrity endorsement helps the streetwear landscape, as well”(Maling 2021). The article is very informative about the past of streetwear, going back to the 80s and 90s. The picture right beneath the title makes one feel very engaged and curious because it shows a man on the street wearing clothes which matches with the title. It might make others feel the need to continue reading to find out how streetwear has started and where it would be going, or that if it would still be around in the future.

Conclusion:

Overall, to conclude the history of streetwear and the research I had found, streetwear is one of the fastest growing and most powerful stage of the fashion industry. Streetwear is about mixing comfort and practicality with self expression. The global streetwear industry is a multi billion dollar industry and was worth an estimated $309 billion dollars in 2017 with a 185 billion revenue. Streetwear was originally a culture for skaters or surfers but has evolved over generations. Streetwear also has its connection in music with the development of hip pop culture as well. Streetwear started to become very popular right after World War II. With the help of skating and surfing brands such as DC Shoes, Vans, Thrasher Magazine and also with the help of famous music producers such as Pharrell Williams, Kanye West, Lil Wayne that featured Japanese streetwear brands such as A Bathing Ape, and  Comme des Garcons, in their videos, which really helped shape the streetwear culture that it’s known for today. Today, streetwear is fashionable, casual clothing worn by followers of popular culture. The majority of these followers are under 30, that also live in urban areas, and belong to a subculture group such as skateboarders or hip pop music fans. Additionally, the exclusivity factor of limited produced items of shoes, jackets, and t-shirts became the main thing for streetwear hype, making a simple t-shirt with a logo on it go up to thousands. So it wasn’t the easiest to get some specific pieces for the original retail price due to resellers. During, my research I was very shocked on how it was a multi billion dollar industry, obviously knowing the streetwear industry is worth a lot but I didn’t expect it to be this much. I was also surprised on how it has been around for a few decades and it’s already an multi billion dollar industry. My understanding of streetwear is much different from before because I have learnt a lot of new things about it, such as how it started with skating and surfing. Also, how hip hop influenced the industry as well. Furthermore, on how streetwear has changed and evolved over time. This is significant to learn because streetwear is a very big industry and can be a way one can express themselves based on the attire that they’re wearing. Lastly, this would be important for younger people to learn about because streetwear is targeted towards the younger audience, skaters or surfers and would most likely be interested in the giant fashion industry called streetwear today.