“Is Marriage Obsolete” written by Heather Havrilesky investigates how marriage has evolved over time, and if marriage still works in our current day society or is it just an outdated tradition. I specifically chose this article because the title intrigued me so much, it had me wondering if the piece was pro-marriage or anti-marriage. Havrilesky sarcastic and honest humor is what ultimately made me continue reading, in the article itself marriage isn’t made to seem perfect, it’s flawed in many ways. However, that’s what works about it: the flaws between two people in their worst. I learned that marriage has continued to develop over centuries. Marriage was a way to survive, it wasn’t built on love or friendship. In the late 18th century love then became a reason to get married which then progressed to married couples wanting “emotional sustenance and sexual satisfaction from each other but also a kind of mutual empowerment”. This then leads to divorce rates rising due to unbalanced pairings, marriage was no longer entirely seen as a way to have a “good life”. Havrilesky not only uses “Marriage, A History” by Stephanie Coontz and the psychology of professor Eli Finkel but Havrilesky uses her personal experience with marriage. She writes about her marriage with her husband, the charming tenured professor, and their bickering, but no argument can break off their companionship. In a time where marriage is “antiquated” when it does work, how does it work, and more importantly does it still work does it even make sense. As she writes “We both know that our worst is likely to get worse from here. Somehow that feels like grace.” marriage isn’t at all what people think marriage, it’s flawed. The answer is marriage is still alive, even in our fast-paced and quick attention span world it exists.Â