With our phones today, almost everybody is an author. Even though most of the texts we send are informal to friends and family, we’re still writing and creating meaning from words. This expertise in just everyday banter can actually be useful in our college lives as well. By breaking down how we write our texts on a daily basis, the proper use of language becomes very important no matter who the audience is. For example, informally, I’d say that it was “brick” (ridiculously cold) outside today to a friend if they asked how cold it was. Now if someone I don’t know asks me that same question, and I would like to be formal, I’d say, “It’s ridiculously cold  outside.” For both of these answers I’m portraying the same image to both people I spoke to, yet they were told in two completely different ways. Everyday slang can be used to help writers find the proper language they want to use in order to portray the ideas they want to bring across since it’s the English people speak most throughout the day.

After reading through Bunn’s “What Are Some Questions to Ask Before Reading?”, I learned quite a lot from that section because I now have a set of questions to ask myself before reading something and how I should be reading it. Additionally, these questions can be used during and after a reading in order to help make sense of the reading and how it was written. Bunn also mentions 2 questions specifically, (I cannot copy and paste them, they’re the two on page 76). These two questions can really help break down a piece of writing and make it understandable if it’s just read without Reading Like a Writer. Asking those two questions before, during and after reading something will really help a reader understand what the author was trying to portray in their writing.