Hall English 1101 Fall 2020

Maybe I Could Save Myself by Writing

Jose Olivarez talked about a lot of things in this article. That how he loved writing poetry since he was the  young kid. He mainly talked that not everyone is born educated and intelligent you have to work for it. That’s why we go to school to learn an write in a better way.  In his writing he refers students as a “empty bank account” and how its teachers responsibility to to educate students and basically “deposit” as he mentioned all the syllabus in a student’s system. If I talk about myself and how I can be a creative writer, I would definitely pick his one habit that stood out for me that was, he decided to have mentors and critics by himself so they can assist him better and guide him whether his writing actually seems interesting or not.  whether a teen like him can understand what message he’s trying to convey from his poetry. So for that, he took three young writers like him so it would easy for him to know that what a teen would prefer. I like that he used a simple structure an soft tone he his fellow teens could understand.  If i talk about myself, I used to hate writing essays or any descriptive writing. It was really hard for me to understand a reading then write a summary about it. So our English teacher told us to write what’s going on in each paragraph as we read and what words that we don’t understand. Which actually helps me a lot and helped me in better understand of a text.   I kind of found that this, mother tongue and articulate are kind of similar because they all mention that how the faced a little racism. like in mother tongue people used to make fun of her mother’s English, same in articulate, Jamila been through this and then Jose. When Jose went back to Mexico and how people used to tell him that no you are not from here you are from United States which he didn’t really liked. Because his ethnicity was Mexican.

I have a regarding to education narrative that, can we switch to two  different tones in one paragraph?

1. Carrie Hall

You CAN switch language in one paragraph, but you don’t have to. It’s true that the examples I chose all did that, but that’s not a requirement.

Do you have a particular experience in mind that you think you’d like to write about?

2. Ninmah

“That’s why we go to school to learn and write in a better way.” I agree with so much, but sadly, in my school, the English teachers didn’t teach us to improve our writing but they expected us to know how to write.

• FNU AMAT UL HAHI

I agree with you Ninmah. But sometimes teachers do not get that we aren’t expert but we trying our best and in order to be one , we need more time.

• Carrie Hall

Hmm. That’s terrible! (I mean that your teachers expected you to know something they were supposed to teach you)