For Tuesday

Hi everybody! Good job on the quiz! I will have them graded by Thursday. I’m still working on your papers.

For Tuesday, I would like you to choose a word for your “Portrait of a Word” essay. (If you’re confused, see the essay assignment under UNITS on the website– it’s UNIT 2). You don’t need to start writing it yet! But you will need a word! Remember– this should be a word that is important to you and your community– an insider word (or possibly a short phrase)– in other words, a word that INCLUDES some people, but excludes others. This means you should also have some idea of what COMMUNITY you believe the word is inside of (and outside of.)  There’s more about this on the assignment sheet under UNITS.

Where do you look for a word? Could be slang that is important to you and your friend group, could be a word that is important in your family or ethnic community, a word specific to your language, this could be a word you have been called (even a derogatory word.) It could even be a name you have called other people, or a word only people in your community understand or are “allowed” to say. If you are stuck, pay attention this weekend to the words your friends and family use, the words in the songs you listen to, the words you say. 

You know what? That’s it. Come up with a word and post it on the OpenLab. by 10 am on Tuesday. That’s all! I had said there was another assignment, but I rescind it. Just post one word that you want to write an essay about. 

That said, it is very important you come up with that word!  It should be something you can spend some time with. Feel free to post more than one if you’re kind of on the fence and can’t decide.