For Tuesday

Hey, everyone! For Tuesday, please print out and read “In Defense of a Loaded Word” HERE

Then, please answer the SOAPSTONE questions (below) about “In Defense of a Loaded Word.” Please type up your answers and post on OpenLab. Here are the questions. 2-3 sentences each. :

1. Who is the SPEAKER? Not just what is their name, but what do we know about this person? How do we know it?
  2. What is the OCCASION? It might be helpful to think of this in terms of “exigency.” What I’m asking here is:”What is the urgent need or demand for talking about this subject? Why is Coates bringing THIS subject up? And why is he bringing it up NOW?”
  3. Who is the AUDIENCE? Who is Coates trying to reach? What are the clues that lead you to believe this?
  4. What is the PURPOSE of this piece? What is Coates trying to accomplish?
  5. What is the TONE of this piece? How can you tell the writer’s feelings by the words or phrases he chooses? BE SPECIFIC!
  6. Other thoughts about this essay?

A note: Coates is talking about a sensitive word, one that he argues only African Americans should say. I agree with him, for the reasons he cites. For the purposes of this class, I ask that nobody other than black students say the word when we discuss it.