For Weds

1. Read and annotate excerpt from The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. You must also read the footnotes– the little stuff at the bottom of the page! (If you missed class on Monday, please come pick up a copy of the reading from outside my office (525 Namm.) They will be in a hanging file folder next to the door of the office. Also in this folder are the assignment sheets for essay #2 ” A portrait of a word.” Please take one and read it. )
  2. In your journals, write 1/2 a page about what you KNOW after reading the Oscar Wao excerpt. In other words, what did you learn from reading this? Be SPECIFIC!!
  3. Then, write another 1/2 page about what you WANT to know after reading this. Here, I’m asking you to write about things you could research.  Did Diaz say something about Trujillo or the DR that you want to hear more about? Was there something else you were curious about? Again, you need to be specific. You can’t just say “I want to know more about Trujillo.” What, specifically, would you like to know that you didn’t find out from reading this excerpt?

Note: Paper 2, “A portrait of a Word,” will be due on Oct 31. You do not need to know what word you’re going to use yet, but you will need to know by Monday, Oct 22.