Student Blogs

Blog below.

15 Responses to Student Blogs

1. I would like to do my research paper on domestic violence within the Latin community, any ideas?

2. Taiwo says:

i chose the book “The Bluest Eye” By Toni Morrison. My idea is to write about Acceptance

3. llando says:

I had originally posted I was using the book, ” Crowded Land of Liberty” by Dirk Chase Eldredge for my research paper. I have choosen not to use this book because of the author’s strong opinions regarding immigration. The book is not objective at all.
    I decided on a book from the Citytech library. It is “Immigration” by Greenhaven Press, Debra A. Miller, book editor.
    I have read my classmate’s blog entries for the research paper and would like to clarify the type of book for this assignment. Should the book fiction regarding a social issue or can it be fiction or non-fiction?

4. stacey says:

Janie is a daydreamer. She lives with her grandmother who she affectionately calls Nanny. At 16 her grandmother’s worst fears were realized when she aaw Janie kissing a local boy. Immediately Nanny decided that Janie needed to be married to someone respectable ( with property and therefore higher status) in order to preserve her dignity and pride. Logan Washburn was that man and he had long been asking Nanny forJanie’s hand in marriage. While he wasn’t Nanny’s ultimate choice Logan was better than seeing her granddaughter with a common boy from around the neighborhood.
    See, Nanny was a slave who attracted the attentions of her master. She got pregnant and had Janie’s mother, Leafy. When the lady of the house discovered that Nanny had a half shite baby she was furious.Nanny decided she had to leave to save her child, not just physically but she would bend over backwards to make sure her daughter had better opportunities than she did so she ran away from Georgia to Florida. She never took a husband in fear of anyone mistreating her daughter. Despite all Nanny’s efforts or maybe one could say as a result of her efforts to elevate her half white light skinned daughter fell victim to one of the same people to whom she entrusted her Leafy’s education.At seventeen Leafy was raped by her teacher. Sge got pregnant and had Janie but her life was never the same. She took to the streets and strayed away from Nanny’s ideals and dreams for her. However, Nanny found a second chance in Janie, and swore to ensure that her life would never end up like Leafy or herself.
    So when Nanny saw Janie kissing Johnny Taylor she decided it was time for Janie to be married and for a respected man to make a lady out of her granddaughter. Logan Washburn was nice at first but he never stirred Janie’s feelings the way she had daydreamed and on top of that he wanted to force her into hard labor, pulling a plow. Then came Joe Starks with his geand idea of living in a black ownedvtown and being the owner of his own destiny by acquiring property. Janie ran off with him hoping to find that illusive love she dreamt of under that pear tree in Nanny’s yard. Joe became the Mayor, Postmaster and owner of the only store in Eatonville. He put Janie on a pedesral and set her apart from the rest of the town. He made her into his own object to do and say only what he deems worthy of the prestigious Mayor’s wife. As time passed Joe became more controlling and verbally abusive but Janie remained a dutifull wife even in his final days when he stopped talking to her.
    When he was dead Janie was relieved to be rid of him knocking her down and destroying her self worth. Many men tried to replace Joe but Janie was contented with being alone and in control of her life. That was all but Tea Cake, a man twelve years her junior who swept her off her feet with his easy going, jovial mannerism. She left Eatonville for Jackdonville where her and Tea Cake got married. As Mrs Vergible Woods Janie was at her happiest, even with her reservstions about his intentions to possibly take her for what Joe left her. Tea Cake eased her mind with every new day, she was finally experiecing love, she could be herself and he loved her for it even encouraging her independence by teaching her how to drive and shoot, and play games that she never dared consider when she was the mayor’s wife. He took her wherever he went and treated her as his equal, who deserved the best he could afford. At the height of all this, tragedy struck a big storm passed through. During this storm Tea Cake got bitten by a rabid dog, in an attempt to save Janie from rushing waters. He took on the illness and attempted to shoot Janie but she was faster than he was and shot him. Janie was tried and found innocent of murder. She gave her one true love the best send off that money could buy and returned to Eatonville. Upon her return thd townfolk were very judgemental and whispered amongst themselves, however, Janie was now at peace. She had experienced love even if for a short while it was more than enough to satisfy and fulfill her for the rest of her life.
    Most people including Nanny, Logan and Joe had the belief that marrying a man with money possessions and status should have been enough to make a woman happy. Janie had other ideas, she needed love, she wanted to be respected and for her opinions and feelings to count. To her freedom was being respected and loved, not possessed and sequestered.

5. Amadou Bah says:

For my research paper, this is the book I’m planing to use: “Why Men Rule: A Theory of Male Dominance”, by Steven Goldberg, Ph.D., Chairman of the Sociology Department at City College, City University of New York, Mr.

The author show us that the notion of male dominance annoyed feminists, by clearly stating, “It does not matter whether the reader enjoys the idea that the male dominates and protects the female, or detests it”–it is simply, a fact. He went on to further saying

“Every society recognizes a particular emotional difference between men and women…the male strength and dominance, and the female gentleness and endurance portrayed in our novels and movies mirror not merely our society’s view of the emotional natures of men and women, but the views of every society that has ever existed…”

6. Research paper on the book “The Help” by Kathryn Stockett
    Chapter 1: intro of the characters:
    Aibileen- (main character/narrator)- works for Miss Leefolt
    Mae Mobley- Ms Leefolt’s baby girl (loves Aibileen)
    Miss Leefolt- (boss) young girl, lives in a small house (smaller than th usual), don’t know how to take care of her own child.
    Miss Skeeter- (friend of Leefolt) nice young woman (especially to Aibileen) was raised by a maid. Asked Aibileen “do you ever wish you could… change things?” Pg 12.
    Miss Hilly- unpleasant woman, mean to the help, wants to do “home help sanitation”(having a separate bathroom outside for the help- believes they carry different kinds of diseases.)
    Miss Walter- Hilly’s mother
    Minny- outspoken, great cook, ms. Walters help.

7. I chose the book “The Child Called It” by Dave Pelzer, which is about the child abuse that the author Dave Pelzer went through as a child. It is actually a trilogy. This is the first part that talks about his life from ages 4 to 12. So far it seems like an easy read but it is very detailed almost like a diary. I have a feeling I will not be stopping on just book 1 since it seems like they are short books. I hope it’s alright since technically they all tie up to one story.

8. Kim says:

I chose the book “Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury. Though the book was written in 1953, its dystopian vision of a future with no books and censored knowledge seemed applicable to today’s standards with the growing dependence on the Internet, and the release of reading tablets such as Nook or Kindle, slowly phasing out paperbacks.

9. shantelbrown says:

I chose a book titled “Make Lemonade” by Virginia Euwer Wolff. My idea is to write about urban poverty but more broad based i wanted to sort of focus on the younger generations. I feel that teenage parenthood, drop out rates etc. is a major social issue in the urban community. This book touches on the topics i believe are important in which i will further elaborate on using research.

10. stacey says:

I chose Their Eyes were Watching God by Zora Neal Hurston. So far the book has described the lives and paths that three generations of women have taken or maybe I should say were forced to take. Through this story I would like to discuss the cycle of abuse in every form and the way it shapes the choices of the abused.

• gguida says:

Stacey,

This is a wonderful book, one that everyone should read. Hurston was an anthropologist as well as a gifted fiction writer. In this novel she puts it all together, and writes about important social issues and strong characters.