1101-391 Language and Identity.

“Og vs. New Gangster”

Imagine a place without crimes? Imagine your parents not worrying about where you are? You leave your house not knowing your life might end. Getting scared to walk down a block not knowing if you’re gonna get stabbed, shot or even raped.That shit is insane now in days you can’t do shit you gotta stay indoors all because of “gang violence” Or so call “gangsters” You’re probably thinking who cares? Well that’s my point who even cares to know what goes on through our daily lives. As our generation in society throughout the years changes constantly so does our way of talking and interacting. The way we humans communicate is based on who we hang out with that influence us. For example if teenagers are with their parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.. they tend to act different and talk formal proper english as on the other hand if teenagers are with people around their age their way of talking and interaction  is completely different. Adults now wouldn’t understand the slang words that teenagers use when talking to friends. The words “Are you serious?” Changes to “ Are you deadass?” “Hey” to “Yerrr” “That’s a lot of stuff” to “That’s mad shit” As our generation constantly changes so does the meaning of words changings throughout the years for example I think the word gangster has changed during generations.

The word gangster was originally used around sometime in the 1800s. On a website called Merriam-Webster they referred the word Gangster “as a member of a gang of criminals” In Urban Dictionary they had two definitions of back in the day gangster and our present time generation gangster. The first definition is “ A wannabe thug, often illiterate and an inhabitant of a downtrodden ghetto that hangs around in “gangs”; largely associated with the African-American subculture. These try-hard wanna be “gangstas” attempt to make themselves appear like real criminals by graffiting buildings, smoking/selling drugs and trying to looking all “bad-ass and macho an’-shit, yo”. An utter degradation of what true gangsters represent , and street wannabe “gangsta”-types don’t hold a candle to what real gangsters are” The first definition is explaining how our present generation addresses the word and how we talk gangster for example  “I’m da gangsta in da hood, yo. Bustin’ shiznitz an’ layin’ da cuts straight sittin’ on yo ass wiv me Colt 40 and homies, cuttin’ back a fat split in me crib, yo”  I strongly agree with this definition.These so call “gangsters” In our generation do stupid shit. Just look at the crime that the Trinitario gang did. Stabbing a young beautiful soul who was 15 years old in the bronx leaving him to be lifeless. That boy didn’t even get a chance to explore his life achieve goals all because of stupid issues. He walked out of his house not knowing that was his last time on earth. Are you kidding me? Later on just to find out that it was a mistaken identity. Shit annoyed me and made me realize that our generation is all about violence these days. That’s why I wanted to addressed this word “gangster” And why it’s important to me having a gang that killed my cousin that’s blood and losing his life for no reason that shit changes your perspective on certain things.

The second definition describes the word gangster back in the day “The *real* gangsters are those behind organised crime; most notably the Mafia. Responsible for blackmarket trade, epsionage, organised beatings/assassinations, etc. “The Godfather” portrays the archtype of true gangsters, showing the brutality of mob beatings, shootings, running rackets and abusing woman, alcohol and everything in between. The real gangsters are *not* to be confused with the aforementioned definition, commonly used as it might be” Urban Dictionary is explaining how gangsters back in the days didn’t show any signs of fear or remorse over what they’ve done. For example people in their groups would ask  “All right, you just shot ’em both. Now what do you do?And they would respond saying  “Sit down and finish my dinner” For example Al Capone was one of the famous gangsters leading the Chicago Outfit Gang in the 1800s through the 1900s.  As a gangster he had problems with a rival gangster named Bugs Moran and his gang called North Siders Gang. Bugs tried to kill Capone’s friend Jack McGurn due to this Capone and his gang shot back. On February 14, 1929 Bugs Moran and The North Siders Gang was lured into a garage to buy whiskey. When the Chicago Gang saw the North Siders gang walk in they pretended to be police officers and lined up the North Siders gang and shot them with machine guns in cold blood. Everything went well except Bugs Moran escaped as soon as he saw the police cars. The St. Valentine’s Massacre made Capone a fearless, smart, classy original gangster how it should be in this generation. Capone killed for a reason. My junior year of High School I had a class called Film Studies. In that class we would watch old gangster movies some of the movies we watched were Angels with Dirty Faces made in 1938 starring James Cagney who played the gangster that a group of teenagers wanted to be and looked up to. Scarface made in 1932 starring Paul Muni who played a careless gangster who didn’t care if he had problems with the rival gang when he was told not to start anything.   

Little Caesar made in 1931 starring Edward G. Robinson who played the gangster that wanted to be the most powerful one he does this by being a leader of a gang called Vettori’s gang.  These movies are similar to each other James Caney, Paul Muni, and Edward G. Robinson wore rich outfits such as a suit and tie, a coat, and a hat. They always had jewelry around their fingers, had a lover, and carried cigarettes. Everything that the old gangsters did was lowkey unlike today our so call gangsters make everything hot. Â