Unit 2: Annotated Bibliography

Jaqai Cherry                                                                                         ENG 1101

10/30/21

Title: The Future of Covid and the World

Introduction: With Covid-19 being the cause of everything changing such as people dying, online learning, people losing their jobs frequently it would be hard to tell if the future of the world and Covid-19 would be leaning towards a more positive or negative result. Within the year 2020-2021 vaccines were created to protect everyone from the virus, and although not everyone trusts it, the vaccine plays a big role in positively learning the future and making Covid less of a problem.

Bibliography

CDC.gov. Different Covid-19 Vaccines| CDC. 20 October 2021. 20 October 2021.

Annotation:  The website above shows all the information about the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. To be fully vaccinated you will need to receive 2 shots within 21 days of the first shot, but during that time you will receive some side effects such as pain (in arm with the shot), Redness (in the arm when shot), Swelling (in arm with the shot), Tiredness, Headache, muscle pain, Chills, Fever, and Nausea.

According to the CDC website in the section “How Well the Vaccine Works” they state that “Based on evidence from clinical trials in people ages 16 years and older, the

Pfizer BioNTech vaccine was 95% effective at preventing laboratory-confirmed infections with the virus that causes Covid-19 in people who received two doses and had no evidence of being previously infected”. They also state that “In clinical trials, the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was highly effective at preventing laboratory-confirmed Covid-19 infections in adolescents 12-15 years old, and the immune system response in people 12-15 years old was at least as strong as the immune response in people 16-25 years old”. In other words, the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is confirmed to be highly effective when fighting against Covid-19, and having only a 5% chance of the vaccine not being very effective, although it’s not 100% it still has a high chance to be effective plus children ages 12 and under are now allowed to take the vaccine making Pfizer more reliable. I never knew that this vaccine was this highly effective in the first place, at first, I was a little concerned about taking the vaccine myself, but after taking my second shot of the vaccine, I felt safer not just about the vaccine but also my chances of getting Covid being less of a percentage.

Link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/Pfizer- BioNTech.html

—. Different Covid-19 Vaccines|CDC. 20 October 2021. 20 October 2021.

Annotation: Like the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, the Moderna vaccine has gone through the same mRNA technology and requires two shots, but this time it’s 28 days apart. The side effects are the same as the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, but the only difference is that this vaccine is only allowed to adolescents 18 years and older. According to the CDC website, they state that

“In people ages 18 years and older, the Moderna vaccine was 94.1% effective at preventing laboratory-confirmed Covid-19 infections in people who received two doses and had no evidence of being previously infected”. In other words, the Moderna vaccine is also very effective against fighting Covid-19 since it’s made from the same process and technology as Pfizer. The only difference is that people 18 years or older are allowed to take it. As soon as I looked at the effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine I wasn’t shocked when this vaccine had almost the

same effectiveness as Pfizer since they’re both created using the same mRNA procedures.

Link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019ncov/vaccines/differentvaccines/Moderna.html

—. Different Types of Covid-19 Vaccines|CDC. 20 October 2021. 20 October 2021.  Annotation: The Johnson and Johnson vaccine requires to have one vaccination shot to be fully vaccinated and only given to adolescents ages eighteen and older, this vaccine has the same side effects as both Pfizer, and Moderna, but there is another side effect that both Pfizer and Moderna don’t have but the Johnson and Johnson vaccine has which is a symptom of fainting, and unfortunately this vaccine is less effective in preventing Covid-19. According to the CDC, they state that “the Johnson and Johnson/ Janssen vaccine was 66.3% effective in clinical trials at preventing laboratory-confirmed Covid-19 infection in people who have received the vaccine and had no evidence of being previously infected.”. Although the Johnson and Johnson vaccine was created around the same time as both Pfizer and Moderna, it’s less effective when fighting against Covid-19, but it will still give that extra layer of protection needed to fight back against the virus. This surprised me because I thought that since the other two vaccines are highly effective this one would be the same or around the percentage, but it was almost over 30% less effective than the other two making this vaccine almost unreliable.

Link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/janssen.html

CNBC.com. Fired for refusing a Covid Vaccine? You likely can’t get unemployment benefits. 7

October 2021. 27 October 2021.

Annotation: CNBC is a news company that broadcasts information about what’s going on everywhere and every day. On this website, they talk about the disadvantages of being unvaccinated with one of them losing their jobs. People of CNBC stated that “Northwell Wealth the largest healthcare provider in New York recently terminated 1,400 unvaccinated workers. Christina Care, Novant Health and UCHealth system- health providers in Delaware, North Carolina, and Colorado respectively- cut more than 100 workers each” they also state that ” Kaiser Permanente, which is based in California, said Tuesday it put more than 2,200 employees on an unpaid leave nationwide”. In other words, unvaccinated people are put at a disadvantage since they are at risk of losing their job, especially if it involves working around a group of people. I wasn’t that surprised when reading this just because if you are working in a job that is around a lot of people you are putting yourself as well as everybody around you at risk of getting infected, it defeats the whole purpose of being a healthcare provider if you aren’t taking care of your health first.  Link: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/07/fired-for-refusing-a-covid-vaccine-you-likely-cantgetunemployment-benefits.html

Lohud.com. Bill would require Covid Vaccine for NY school kids, pending federal approval. 26 October 2021. 26 October 2021.

Annotation: This website is based on the news as well; it extends on the disadvantages of being unvaccinated, but this time on more of the school side of things. According to Lohud.com, they state that “As a Covid vaccine for 5-11 appear headed for federal approval, a new bill would require all New York students to be vaccinated to attend school” they further state that

“If passed the bill would require the state health department to develop a vaccination program”. In other words, unvaccinated students will also face limitations in their education of either having to educate online or later having no education until they are fully vaccinated.  This wasn’t that surprising to me since a school is a place where both teachers and students are in one place along with other people so getting vaccinated as a requirement to attend school was just a matter of time.

Link: https://www.lohud.com/story/news/education/2021/10/25/ny-bill-covid-vaccine-forschoolchildren/6173320001/

Mandavili, Apoorva. Are Vaccine Boosters Widely Needed? Some Federal Advisers Have

Misgivings. 25 October 2021. 28 October 2021. New York Times

Annotation: This source focuses on the future of Covid-19 with the production of Covid boosters to help people who work in high areas with Covid, and people with health risks. According to

Mandavilli Apoorva of the New York Times “People with certain medical conditions, and those whose jobs or living situations regularly expose them to the virus can opt for a booster dose of any of the three vaccines”. They also state (Later within the Newspaper) that the

“PfizerBioNTech booster in September, the advisers agreed unanimously only on extra shots for adults over the age of 65. Two of the 15 panelists voted against booster doses for adults over the age of 50 with certain medical conditions. Approval of boosters for people aged 18-49 with other medical risk factors squeaked by in a vote of nine-six.”. In other words, the Covid boosters would positively impact us and make Covid less of a threat because people who are working and are highly exposed to Covid as well as people with medical risks and conditions would have an extra layer of protection against the virus. Later on, in the future, the Covid boosters will be available to protect the people needed. I didn’t know that they were making boosters for the covid vaccine until I’ve heard about it from my mom, and once she told me that I had to do research, and turns out it was true. So, after finding out how these boosters can be used as a topic in this bibliography, I decided to make that one of my source topics.

Link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/25/health/covid-boosterscdcfda.html?searchResultPosition=9

Time.Com. Too many Americans still Mistrust the Covid-19 Vaccines. Here’s why. 5th January

1. 26 October 2021.

Annotation: This source is a video which talks about the concerns and questions people have about the vaccine since it’s not 100% effective. According to the Video from Time.Com, they state that “When the first vaccine was released about 70% of Americans say that they would receive any kind of vaccine, the other 30% said that they would take their chances with the disease that has to sicken tens of millions”. Later in the video it further states that “Most of it has to do with the Anti-Vaccine movement, in some cases anti-vaxxer’s recommended to deliberately exposing themselves to Covid-19 to develop immunity”. In other words, people would rather take their chances against Covid instead of being protected against it. It seems like the anti-Vaccine movement believes that getting vaccinated will cause imaginary dangers after receiving the vaccine since they were “Rushed into development” so the only way to prevent covid-19 is for people to get Covid-19 themselves.

Although this isn’t stated in the video the description, talks about Herd immunity which is where if almost everyone is vaccinated around a certain area, then the unvaccinated people would be protected from the virus since the virus can’t find a new person to infect. The description states that “Experts including Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has previously concluded that achieving Herd Immunity- The point at which a population is sufficiently vaccinated that a spreading virus can’t find a new host- it would require anywhere from 60%-70% of Americans to take the vaccine”. In other words, taking the vaccine is the best priority for keeping others safe as well as yourself, if not you are putting everyone in danger which would make Covid more dangerous affecting us more negatively not positively since the result of not taking the vaccine could lead to the death of millions of people. After finding this source it didn’t surprise me because even now where people have taken the vaccine fully and are fine, people still have doubts about the vaccine, but what surprised me was the involvement of herd immunity and how high it was to achieve it. Link:

https://time.com/5925467/covid-19-vaccine-hesitancy/

Conclusion: The vaccine was created to protect people. Without the vaccine, the Covid-19 virus would lead this world into ruin with everyone losing their jobs, not getting an education, and leading to a lot of people dying from the virus. This is one of the ways to fight against the big threat and push towards something better and create a better future.

Reviser’s Memo:

1. The reason why I wrote this Bibliography is to inform others of what is going on concerning Covid-19 and maybe inspire some people to get vaccinated to protect themselves and others.

1. I feel like this project is good. It’s a new experience for me since I’ve never actually done an annotated Bibliography, but it seems familiar to a research paper where you must dig deep to find information to help write this.

1. Questions for the Viewer: Do the sources I have above relate to my thesis?

Is there any part of this piece confusing, and if so which part?

Lastly, if there is anything you would recommend either adding or taking away from this piece when you finished reading it?