Statistics with Probability

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #13259

    Ezra Halleck
    Participant

    6. (20 pts) 4% of a clinic’s patients are known to have Lyme’s disease. A test is developed that is positive in 98% of patients with Lyme’s disease, but it is also positive in 3% of patients who do not have disease. Fill in the following table (use all available digits).
    Testflu Yes No Total
    positive
    negative
    Total

    (a) What is probability that test comes out positive for Lyme’s disease?
    (b) What is probability that person has Lyme’s disease given positive test?

    #16820

    Professor Halleck i do not understand this problem at all. Could you please explain how to solve this one?

    #16822

    Dawah Li
    Member

    A. 4% known ->98% positive, 2% negative 96% unknown -> 3% positive, 97% negative
    (.04*.98)+(.96*.03)=.068 positive on the test for lyme’s disease?

    And i forgot how to do part B

    #16838

    Emmanuella
    Member

    .04 = patients who have Lyme’s disease
    .96= patients who does’t have Lyme’s disease

    Test Lyme’s disease Yes No Total
    Positive .98 .02 1
    Negative .03 .97 1
    Total 1.01 .99 2

    A) the probality that the test comes out positive is : ( .4*.98)+(.96*.03) = .068
    B) the probability a person has Lyme’s disease given positive test is :
    (.4*.98)/((.4*.98)+(.96*.03))= .576

    #16873

    Ying
    Member

    according to the quesiton, 98% of those with disease have positive, which means the rest of 2% is negative..so i think u you did something wrong in your table!!

    #16880

    Parvena
    Member

    You made a mistake when placing .4, this will give you be 40 percent. You would want 4 percent so it will be .04 giving you 4 percent =)

    #16886

    Emmanuella
    Member

    You are right, I see my mistake .

    #16887

    Okay, I used a tree to solve this problem. Perhaps it will be easier to understand it that way since we often use it in class. Cheerioooossss

    #16888

    LOL pardon the “Lime” and the -_- face. 15 hours to Exam time O.o

    #16902

    still not clear. the question itself is a bit confusing. Feels like it is missing some thing or written with some mistake. Professor were are you when we need you?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.