Spring 2013 – MAT 1272 Statistics – Reitz

• Announcement: Office hours on Tuesday (3/12) will be QUITE SHORT, before and after class
  • #13188

Jonas Reitz

I have a meeting with the Provost starting at 4:00 on Tuesday, so I will not be able to hold office hours from 3:45 – 4:45 as usual. I will be able to answer a few quick questions after class, and I will also make an effort to come to class a few minutes early to answer questions at that time. As always, feel free to post on the OpenLab or send me an email if you have problems you’d like to discuss.

#16683

Anil
    Member

i need help with prob 4 and 5 in Web Work for assignment 6

for number 4,
    the “x” is treated as a discrete random variable and there are two negative x’s (a -1, and -2) with a 0, then a 1, 2, and 3

then it asks for the mean and standard deviation. i am not sure if i am should use the “Positive Values” for the variables of all x’s…. since the web work does not accept my answer when i do and also do i have keep 0 as “0”

for number 5 i am very confused or a bit lost since i am not how begin solving the problem: (see other jpeg image)

#16691

Jonas Reitz

Anil,
    For problem 4, use the numbers for x just as they appear — they are allowed to be positive, negative, or zero, and you should follow the same formulas in any case (for example, if x is negative, then the corresponding value in the column xP(x) will also be negative — BUT, because a negative times a negative is positive, the value of x^2 P(X) will be positive)

For problem 5, this is similar to the last example we considered in class on Tuesday last week — start by drawing a tree diagram for the problem. If you’re still stuck, let me know!

Mr. Reitz

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)