Research & Documentation for the Information Age

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• group 2

christine
    Participant

Hi, I was sick this Wednesday so i couldn’t make it to class. Can someone fill me in on what our podcast is about?

Brian Ceyko
    Participant

We will start working on the podcast in class on this Wednesday. We were told to start coming up with ideas on what topic our group will be working on. Basically it will be related to what we discussed in our blog posts before.

A topic along the lines of security, media, censorship, etc. I’m sick as well since yesterday, so I just got to replying to this now.

Professor Almeida will be going over how to use the computer software we will be using to do this project, but if you want to try to learn about it and where we will upload the files a little, we will be using the program Audacity and upload our conversations recorded with it for the podcast on the Soundcloud website.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Brian Ceyko.

Karil Davidson
    Participant

Good morning Christine,
    I hope you are feeling better. The requirements for the Podcasting Activity is to develop 5-10 min podcast on a topic that critically engages with the ides of the “people formerly known as the audience”. This was mentioned in the Brookings Institute podcast towards the end in the Q&A portion. I found an article by Jay Rosen http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jay-rosen/the-people-formerly-known_1_b_24113.html
    Let me know what you think about this as a starting point that maybe we can expand on?
    -Karil

christine
    Participant

Thank you! I agree with the audience. I feel like if there is many speakers. When too many opinions get involved in a conversation, etc. Things will only get confusing.

christine
    Participant

Thank you! I agree with the audience. I feel like if there is many speakers. There will be too many opinions getting involved in a conversation, etc. Things will only get confusing.

Karil Davidson
    Participant

Hello Group 2. I wrote about a topic “The people formerly known as the audience” Please read, add , comment, pick a picture to go with it.
    Good morning and welcome to Podcast Group 2
    Our topic for discussion is based on the term “The People Formerly Known as the Audience”. Jay Rosen, a Journalism professor at NYU, talks about the implications of people finding their voice in the new media and changes in the relationship between journalists and what was formerly called their “audience”.

Who are these “People Formerly Know as the Audience?” This phrase is used to describe the shift of passive observers (the Audience) to potential active participants. The term “former audience” refers to the owners and operators of tools that were once exclusively used by media people to capture and hold their attention, people who were on the receiving end of a media system , and who today have a voice of their own. People don’t want to just sit and listen, they want to participate, create, share, debate and communicate.

For example, Rosen explains that once there were printing presses, and now the blog has given the press to us. Now podcasting gives us “radio”. Television was the primary source of video image, and now video is used by the “former audience” and they are building audiences of their own on the web. Along with this power shift is the existence of “citjos”, the citizen journalists. In Dan Gillmor’s We the Media, the nationally acclaimed newspaper columnist and blogger sheds light on this shift in how we make–and consume–the news. “Big Media has lost its monopoly on the news, thanks to the Internet”. By these citizen journalists, the news is published in real time to a worldwide audience, often before conventional news media (Big Media) presents the news. Using laptops, cell phones, and digital cameras, these readers turned-reporters are changing how we make and consume the news. Anyone can produce the news, using personal blogs, Internet chat groups, email, and a host of other tools. Big media realizes the game change in news presentation from “control” to “engagement” and the value of it. Notice all those video clips from witnesses of an event. Videos taken by regular people using their cell phones to say and show what American media couldn’t or wouldn’t provide. Many nonstandard news sources have emerged and provide valuable content via emails, chat groups, and personal web journals. Because of new tools available on the internet, we are documenting history from many perspectives, not just the perspective of Big Media.

christine
    Participant

Brian Ceyko
    Participant

I re-uploaded the edited recording of our podcast, it has some sound issues still (especially since people were doing their podcast as well), but I did the best I could to remove any points where it was recording, but no-one was talking. At one point the sound gets a little weird though, like we were speaking in a tunnel or something, it sounds better than before but you can still hear the sounds a bit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.