PSY3405ID HD20&21 Health Psychology Fall 2016

active 7 months, 3 weeks ago
This Course Profile is PRIVATE, but the Course Site is OPEN to all visitors.
Social Science
PSY3405ID

This course provides an overview of existing psychological and epidemiological findings on the relationship between behavior and disease. The course explores how behavior, emotion and cognition can influence disease processes and examines the impact of stress and perceived control of one’s destiny on coronary, immune and infectious diseases and symptoms. The biological processes of several relevant chronic illnesses are covered as well as related racial and social economic health disparities. Templates for understanding and treating chronic illness including social support, referral and interventions for optimal physical and mental health are discussed. The interdisciplinary theme of this course will provide an overview of extant literature on theories of health psychology within the context of critical race theory, epidemiology, research methods, philosophy of science, biological anthropology, sociology, as well as applied health/medical fields for an enriched understanding of the biopsychosocial approach to health and illness. Lectures and in-class activities as well as films, guest lecturers, and interactive computer programs make up this textbook-free course with required readings made available through CityTech’s OpenLab and Open Educational Resources (OER).

Exercise

Doing regular exercise in this semester was totally impossible for me since I was taking 6 classes […] See MoreExercise

stress managment

PSY-3405 brought me a major change in my life. Now I know how to manage my stress. Beginning of […] See Morestress managment

Stress Management #Livewell

Did not have time to go to the gym today, but I decided to release some stress by doing exercise […] See MoreStress Management #Livewell

It’s exhausting to search out educated people on this topic, however you sound like you r […] See More

There are a handful of people that has influenced me over the years. In fact since I was born. One […] See More

After reading this article, nothing has changed on racist FHA practices in our community. I feel […] See More