professional essay

active 11 years, 3 months ago
professional essay
This Project is OPEN.
Project Description

Ana Fortuna

Human Services Seminar

Professor DeVeaux

Professional Essay

My name is Ana Fortuna and I was born and raised in the South Bronx. I attend New York City College of Technology or “City-Tech” to pursue a bachelor’s degree in Human Services.

I decided on human service major because I felt that this field was my calling. While growing up I always wished to enter a career to be able to help the less fortunate help themselves make a positive change in every affect aspect of their lives. Before coming to New York City college of Technology and learning anything about the Human Service profession I did not know what field would allow me to fulfill that goal. Now I know that this profession will allow me to bring positive changes in the lives of the people I work with and their families through the provision of services and resources.

My personal strengths that will particularly enhance my effectiveness for professional practice include, but are not limited to, empathy for the clients, respect for their diversity, and nonjudgmental attitude towards the individuals’ differences. Instead of blaming the victims, I want to restore the indiviaduals didignity for them through empowerment. I grew up in a loving and nurturing home setting which made me very family oriented. I have always enjoyed being around children, it all began from my active involvement in the upbringing of my younger sister.

Furthermore my employment history with retail and office like jobs have taught me how to serve the customers best. I intend to build on this skill and transfer it to the non-profit sector of Human Services. The client population that I will one day like to work with is children because I consider them to be the most vulnerable and dependent on caregivers to provide them with theprimary necessities such as food, clothing, and shelter. The unique qualities and strength of this population that interests me most are their ability to learn fast and retain a lot in memory. The challenges that this population faces range from abuse and neglect to lack of family to lack of family functioning and school related difficulties. The skills that I need to learn in order to serve them are patience and self-control among others. I must begin from where the child or adolescence is before building on their individual and family strengths to restore the equilibrium.

Most importantly the human service needs of children are a stable and congenial environment filled with educational and recreational support which allows them to maximize their potentiality and succeed. I have also begun to develop better communication skills which will be beneficial in building rapport with this population.

Ten years following my graduation from the college of my choice I envision my career path carved out as a Child Protective Specialist in the Administration for Children Services. I anticipate that I would be partnering with other agencies to help to protect children if they are experiencing any difficulties or troubling situations such as an unhealthy living environment,inadequate nutrition, or abuse/neglect; I will work to get that child and their family the necessary resources that they need to get back on track towards a stronger foundation. Later on in my carrer I would like to pursue counseling within either a school setting or a private organization.

In closing, the way that children are brought up determines whether or not they will be a beneficial or harmful to society. Children need positive role models in their lives that will help to mold them morally, mentally, and physically along with providing them with the basic tools needed to grow into productive adults. I can play a part in the protection of children and the prevention of them suffering negative outcomes throughout their lives.

Acknowledgements

This project was created by: Ana Fortuna

Sorry, there were no discussion topics found.