Personal Narrative Essay

Errol Smith

English 1101-d376

Personal Narrative Essay Draft #1

Around the age of 16 and up parents expect us teenagers to find a job. Applying for a job is not¬†the hard part but actually getting hired is. There are many ways to apply for a job like for¬†example going to the store and asking to fill out an application or filling one out online. My first¬†job was at a Summer Camp and working at a summer camp still wasn’t enough to be hired at a¬†retail store. Finding a job was hard for me because I wasn’t eighteen years old, needed retail store¬†experience and wasn’t available for the times the managers wanted me to work. Not being able to¬†find a job gave me a feeling of failure and rejection all the time but eventually I knew I was able¬†to find one.

To begin with, one reason why finding a job was difficult for me was because I wasn’t eighteen years of age. I would walk into a store like Best buy or Jimmy Jazz and ask if they¬†are hiring; they would say yes. They would tell me to apply online then ask how old am I and I¬†would say sixteen or seventeen. After I told them my age they would say that the store only¬†hires eighteen year olds and up. I think that they wouldn’t hire anyone under eighteen years of¬†age because they assume that they aren’t responsible enough or not mature enough. Also people¬†under age isn’t able to work long hours as the manager would want you to because it is against¬†the law. It is a law that no one under the age of eighteen should work above a certain amount of¬†hours while school is session that’s why most store owners hires eighteen years of age and up¬†because they can work long hours.

In addition, another reason why finding a job was difficult for me was because I had no¬†retail experience. I would only apply to retail stores because I wouldn’t want to work in fast food¬†restaurant. I never understood that concept of in order to work for a retail store you will need¬†experience. I would always think to myself like where would I get the retail experience. I¬†applied to a lot of retail stores and I got a lot of emails back saying that I didn’t get the job or¬†that I won’t be interviewed. I would have a sense of rejection every time and give up on¬†applying for jobs but then I looked for jobs that didn’t mind no retail experience. Those stores¬†were Party City, Burlington Coat Factory and K-Mart and finally I was called for an interview¬†for Party City. I was hired because they needed more workers to handle costumes because¬†Party City is the busiest retail store around Halloween time.

Lastly, it was very difficult for me to find a job because of my time availability or the hours¬†managers wanted me to work. Usually I would have basketball tournaments to go to after¬†school and I would only be available on weekends. Most retail store I applied to were looking¬†to hire people that could work at least four days out of the week but because I was only¬†available on weekends my chance of getting a job was very low. Also I wouldn’t be able to¬†work during the week because I would have to work after school and my parents wouldn’t¬†want me to get home late. They wouldn’t want me to also be late school the next morning¬†because of how tired I am from working the night before.

In Conclusion, a lot of teenagers parent expect us to be able to find a job so we can see how the real world is. Applying for job is easy but it’s difficult getting hired. Finding a job is difficult

because most retail stores hires eighteen years of age and up. Also it difficult to find a job

because you need retail experience and without retail experience your chance of getting the job

is low. Lastly, time availability is another reason why it’s difficult to find a job. Despite those

difficulties I was still able to find a job which at Party City. Even though it can be hard people

shouldn’t give up on finding a job because they’re some stores that don’t mind no retail

experience.