OpenLab Pioneers!

• Moving Posts
  • #12460

Daniel Alter

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if as an admin. I am able to relocate posts from one page to another; considering they are not mine?

Thanks,
    Danny

#14393

Elizabeth Alsop

Hi Danny,

All the posts automatically go to the “blog” page of your site, but you could certainly cut-and-paste the contents of a post onto another page. (As the admin, you have the ability to edit pages, but your students do not.) You could also insert links to particular posts within other pages. But you can’t really relocate posts on the back-end — though you could use use the Custom Menus feature to direct posts categorized in certain way to appear simultaneously on the main blog page, and another page on your site.

I’m not sure if that’s clear, or if I’m answering your question? Feel free to let me know what it is you’d like to do, and hopefully we can make something work.

Best,
    Elizabeth

#14395

Daniel Alter

Hi Elizabeth,

If I copy and paste a post then the student’s name no longer is attached to that post. I was intending on creating a page for an assignment and have the students create posts in that page and use it as though a Discussion Board. It maybe something that is not possible, but thought it would help in my class management…

Danny

#14396

Elizabeth Alsop

Hi Danny,

I think there are a few options. The simplest may be create a page for an assignment, as you say, and have the students leave their responses as a Comment rather than a Post. (Commenting on a page works just like commenting on a post.)
    So it would look something like this: http://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/citytecheats1/sample-page/

Another option involves categories: you could create a category for the assignment (e.g. Assignment #1); add the category to your custom menu; create a post for the assignment (using that category); and ask your students to select that category as well when publishing their posts. This sounds more complicated than it is! Basically, it just means that all posts categorized in a certain way get pulled into a separate designated page. The downside, though, is that both the your assignment post and their responses would appear twice: on the main blog page, and on that designated page.

I’m sure there are other possibilities, as well, so others please feel free to chime in with ideas! And Danny, if you’d like any help with this, I’ll be on campus tomorrow and would be happy to offer any assistance I can in person.

Best,
    Elizabeth

#14346

Scott

That second option is definitely the one, Danny. If it sounds complicated (and I know it can), one of us can take you through it anytime. You’ll find that having students post to a particular page via categories will take a huge burden off you, because the students are self-declaring where the post goes. The occasional student will mis-assign the category, but then it’s easily switched, without copying and pasting. And most will get it quickly.

As for the appearing twice thing, I usually leave some ‘sticky’ post at the top of the home page, and then usually no one sees the versions of the post appearing there. It’s kinda of working against the intentions of wordpress, but it works for me.

Best,
    Scott

#14403

Daniel Alter

Hi guys,

I think I will take you up on that offer. I am in the college all day till 5PM. Might you be able to swing by one of my lab classes? I am unavailable from 1-2pm but can have you come to one of the lab classes I am teaching before or after. Let me know.

Dept. # is 5137 or email dalter@citytech.cuny.edu; If I am not in the office I’ll get my email on my phone.

Danny

#14404

Bree Zuckerman

Hi Danny,

I’ll be at City Tech today for a meeting at 1pm, and I’d be happy to stop by afterwards. I’ll send you an email separately to coordinate.

Best,
    Bree

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)