OpenLab Pioneers!

• How do we prevent spam to end up on our blogs?????
  • #12354

Daniel Alter

xanthias.com/
    Agickimbidack32@ersatzs.com
    91.224.247.11
    Submitted on 2011/09/06 at 1:15 pm

karen millen uk sale
    karen millen dresses store usa
    karenmillen dress store usa
    karen millen uk sale karen millen dresses store usa karenmillen dress store usa
    Agickimbidack32@ersatzs.com
    LymnAsync
    http://www.xanthias.com/
    0
    Approve | Reply | Quick Edit | Edit | Spam | Trash

Danny

#14119

Elizabeth Alsop

Hi Danny,

Sorry to hear this! On your site, do you know if you have activated the plugin called Akismet, which should help protect your blog from spam? To check, you can go to Dashboard, under Plugins, and click on Akismet Configuration. Let me know and, if not, that’s something I could help you with. (I think this is something we’d actually like to have activated by default, though the last time I checked, it wasn’t. Does anybody else know the status of this?)

Also, just to clarify, I am assuming this is what you’re seeing when you’re moderating Comments in the Comments admin screen for your site? There, you do have the option of marking it as Spam, though it is still obviously annoying to find it there.

Elizabeth

#14120

Jody R. Rosen

On my dashboard, it says, “Akismet is almost ready. You must enter your Akismet API key for it to work.” Do you know what we’d need to enter to get Akismet working?

Another feature: you can set your site to make any new comment and any new post require moderation. You might want to set it to put the first one from any user into moderation so that you can approve those from your students or engaged lurkers, but not from anyone else. I usually do that, and although it means a lot of accepting new posts and new comments, it keeps the site clean from spam. Hmm–I don’t see this option now. Can someone direct us there, or let us know if it’s not something we can do on this installation? If it’s not, I’d recommend adding that as a feature!

Jody

#14121

Elizabeth Alsop

Hi everyone,

I’m including instructions below on how to get an API key and get Akismet working. There are a few steps involved, so let me know if anything is unclear.

1. On the “Akismet Configuration” screen, click on the link to Akismet.com or the one that says “Get my key.”

2. Click on the blue button that says “Get an Akismet API Key”

3. On the sign-up screen, click to sign up for a “Personal” plan (the one on the right).

4. Under Order Details, don’t panic! You do not have to pay anything. Just adjust the amount of your “yearly contribution” to $0 on the sliding scale. Then, enter your first and last name, and an email address and click continue.

5. Once you’re done, you should receive an email at the address you provided containing your API Key. Go back to the Akismet Configuration screen in your Dashboard, and enter this key (which will be a sequence of letters and numbers) in the appropriate field. Then click “Update Options.” You should get a message that “Your key has been verified!” Akismet should now be working.

#14122

Maura A. Smale

Hi everyone,

Stop the presses! We have a ticket in to the developers to enter an Akismet key for the entire OpenLab, so we won’t have to enter them for each and every Site. We hope it will be live soon.

In the interim, whenever you get Spam comments just click the “Spam” link to send them to the Spam folder. Even with Akismet installed there can still be a tiny amount of spam that gets through, but Akismet should catch the vast majority of spam comments.

Best,
    Maura

#14123

Scott

That’s great Elizabeth–but do any of you (Matt) know if it’s possible to set it up system wide? The plug-in just needs to be activated on the macaulay eportfolio system, without the steps. But obviously that’s outside my level of expertise, and there are difference between the two systems I don’t entirely grasp yet.

That said, I can’t stress enough how much Akismet will save your life. Spam is a part of openlab platforms (well, it’s just a part of the internet) and activating that will cut out more or less all of it. Once activated you should shouldn’t see any of the robo-spam of the sort you’re seeing now.

#14124

Maura A. Smale

Alternatively, as Jody mentioned, you can set your site to hold all comments in moderation, or to only allow registered users to comment (there may be a few other options, too). Head to your Site’s Dashboard (click Site Admin in the right sidebar of your Site), then click Settings and Discussion in the left Dashboard navigation.

Hope this helps! And again, we’ll activate the sitewide Akismet very soon.

Best,
    Maura

#14125

Scott

Ah, Maura, you’re quick on the draw!

#14126

Elizabeth Alsop

Yes, thanks, Maura! That’s great news, and sorry if I jumped the Akismet gun.

Also, Jody, I’m not sure if this is the setting you’re thinking of, but under Discussion Settings, you can choose “Comment author must have previously approved comment” before their comment appears — which essentially means you’d have to approve users’ initial comments.

#14128

Jody R. Rosen

Yes, Elizabeth–I see that now. But I thought there was a way to do the same thing for posts? Oh, I guess if you have to be an author to post, you won’t get spam posts on the blog. That works!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)