OpenLab Pioneers!

• Author
    Posts
  • #12266

Daniel Alter

My vision for the site I created for this course was to become a vehicle for students to communicate outside the classroom walls. I would like for them to engage in conversations with each other, me, and hopefully other professionals. I intend on utilizing the site for course management purposes where students may submit assignments and the like. Sample assignments are provided as well as you-tube videos and power points; grades will also be available. The foundation has been set with the need to fill in the blanks now. I intend on embedding videos and downloading the syllabus, assignments, and power points from my lectures. A nice feature I added was two forum threads that I kept sticky. The first I called “student cafe”, where I would like students to converse with each other. The other is called “ask the Professor” where students may post a question and I will reply for all to see. I am certain there are many students with questions that are never asked. Well, I hope you like what I have created and I am open to any suggestions.

Course is Tooth Morphology : http://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/resd1110/

If anyone has a clue how to embed a you-tube video into the open lab, please share. I was able to do it with ease on the commons but can’t seem to find it on the open lab.

Respectfully,
    Daniel Alter

#13969

Maura A. Smale

Hi Daniel, the embed YouTube button isn’t showing up on the add new post toolbar the way it does on the Commons, so we will have to add that.

In the meantime you can add the HTML code for a video to embed it. Just go to the video’s YouTube page (for example, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPtH2KPuQbs&feature=player_embedded). Below the video click the button Share, then click the button Embed. You’ll see a box with some HTML code it it — copy the code.

Then go to your post or page on the OpenLab. On the Edit Post/Page screen, click the HTML tab on the upper right side of the text field, then paste your copied code from YouTube there. Click the blue Update button to save.

Hope this helps!
    Best,
    Maura

#13970

Elizabeth Alsop

Hi Everyone,

We actually learned on Wednesday that cutting and pasting the Embed code into a post doesn’t seem to be working right now. Instead, after some experimenting, Scott discovered that to embed a YouTube video, just click the Share button beneath the video, copy the link that appears (it will look something like this http://youtu.be/dPtH2KPuQbs), and paste that directly into your post (in either the Visual or HTML view).

Hope that works — let me know if it doesn’t.

Elizabeth

#13971

Maura A. Smale

Thanks for those alternate instructions, Elizabeth. I was able to embed a video into my course site (http://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/testlib1201/2011/07/15/plagiarism-video/) so hopefully this has been fixed. But it’s good to know that there’s an alternative if embedding doesn’t work.

#13985

Jody R. Rosen

Hi Daniel,

I love the structure of your site, especially the RSS feed! One thing someone brought to my attention as something to look at when you have parent pages and subpages: if you click on the parent page, there is text there that you’ll want to edit. I used your site as a test-case since I noticed that you also have subpages. Check here, for example: http://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/resd1110/videos/ You can see that although each of your subpages has the text you’ve written, your parent page still has that text that needs to be deleted or removed. I have the same issue on my site. I’m thinking that I might do one of two things: for a pages that could have instructive text, I’ll put that there; for a page that is really just a heading and not something that should have content itself, I’ll list the subpages and make them hyperlinks to the actual subpages. I hope that makes sense, If anyone has other ideas, please share them with us!

#13991

Shelley E Smith

I was actually going to add this problem to the general feedback section (wherever that is) Isn’t this behavior– of the page tabs at the top bar in WordPress–unusual? As I recall, in most web sites you CANNOT “click” on the parent (and get to a page) in cases where there are sub-pages. This seems like a web design standard. Can this be fixed? Meanwhile, we need awareness and a solution, as Jody suggests. Look at Peter’s site. He discovered this last week and put up some minor descriptive contents. Jody’s idea is good, too.

#14012

Daniel Alter

Hello again,

Thank you!!!! I was able to embed you-tube videos.

I appreciate all the great feedback and ideas.

I also have a quick question that someone may be able to answer. I realize that word documents can not be uploaded to the website and only PDF can. I only have the adobe writer in the office computer. Does anyone know how I may convert Word Documents to PDF’s at home?

Danny

#14013

Prof. Gold

Hi Daniel,

You can absolutely post MS Word docs to both blogs and groups. To post to a blog, follow the directions here (http://en.support.wordpress.com/uploading-documents/). We’ll provide customized directions as we put together our documentation. If you have any problems, please post a response here!

Best,

Matt

#14015

Scott

Matt’s absolutely right, Daniel. If for some reason you do want to save a word document as pdf, though, you can. Just ‘save as’ and change the file format to pdf.

Best,
    Scott

#14056

Daniel Alter

Hello Scott,
    You are only able to do so on the college computers. I didn’t have that option on my home computer.

Thanks,
    Danny

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)