OpenLab Pioneers!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Awkward Display in Classrooms?

Scott
    Participant

A faculty member sent an email today mentioning wacky display problems in the classroom with the site (in this case the secondary nav bar running vertically down the home page). I had similar issues in Viviana’s classroom when I visited. I’m more or less convinced it has something to do with those computers running old operating systems (I swear it looked like the computer I used was running windows ’98), but I thought I’d ask all of you (faculty and openlab staff) if you’ve seen similar strange things on those older classroom computers. I’m wondering how widespread the issue might be. And then, of course, if anyone knows if there’s anything we can do about it. Thanks!

Best,
    Scott

Ezra Halleck
    Participant

When I had students in the lab G604, the display on IE was wacky. I don’t know what OS was being used, but I had them switch to Firefox and we were able to proceed.

Prof. Karen Goodlad
    Participant

Yes I have had that display problem as well. It occured on a computer that normally displays the nav bar normally. This problem also occured on some of our classroom laptops, but not all and not eveytime. It happened to me once at home as well. I simply logged off and worked as a guest. The next time I tried it, a different day. I worked fine.

Prof. Karen Goodlad
    Participant

Also, some students complained of this happening at home. Again, only on occasion, not every time.

Maura A. Smale
    Participant

Thanks for tracking these issues, everyone. There was a brief period recently in which the top navigation bar was misbehaving, but I believe that’s fixed now. If you’re using a current browser and you see strange design issues please do let us know and we’ll put in a bug ticket.

Older browsers are definitely a problem, and we do know that the OpenLab will often look strange. I know we can’t usually update the browsers in labs on campus, but perhaps we can see whether department CLTs or others can update them.

Best,
    Maura

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.