Math 1372 – Statistics with Probability – Fall 2014

active 4 years, 7 months ago
Math 1372 - Statistics with Probability - Fall 2014
Mathematics
MAT1372

An introductory course in statistics and probability. Topics covered include descriptive statistics, sample spaces and probabilities, discrete probability distributions (Binomial, Hypergeometric), expectation and variance, continuous probability distributions (Normal, Student, Chi-Square), confidence intervals, hypothesis testing, and correlation and linear regression. Spreadsheets are used throughout the semester.

Acknowledgements

This course was created by: Suman Ganguli

The Central Limit Theorem in Words (via "Statistics: A Very Short Introduction"

If you'd like to get a more conceptual overview of the topics we're studying, you could take a […] See MoreThe Central Limit Theorem in Words (via "Statistics: A Very Short Introduction"

Nate Silver's "The Signal & the Noise": Outline + Project Ideas

I encourage you to read Nate Silver's book The Signal and the Noise at some point (there is a […] See MoreNate Silver's "The Signal & the Noise": Outline + Project Ideas

Scatterplot: "How Ebola compares to other infectious diseases

Here is the scatterplot from The Guardian Data Blog I showed briefly in class, which plots […] See MoreScatterplot: "How Ebola compares to other infectious diseases

Comment on "Scatterplot: “How Ebola compares to other infectious diseases"

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/09/att-accuses-employees-of-using-malware-to-mass-unlock-phones/ See MoreComment on "Scatterplot: “How Ebola compares to other infectious diseases"

Exam #3 Review / HW #9

I received a question via email about Exercises #5 & #6 from Sec 7.3. I thought I'd post my reply, in case it might help you understand these questions and concepts: These exercises are applications of the Central Limit Theorem, as we […] See MoreExam #3 Review / HW #9

Project Outline/Template

I suggested last week that you write a detailed outline for your project to help guide you. To give you an example, below is an outline for my sample project. Note that the introduction is basically just the expanded project proposal I […] See MoreProject Outline/Template

Exam #2

You're on the right track. The calculation you did shows that the probability of drawing two blue marbles is 0--that makes sense since as you said there's only one blue marble to start, so it's impossible to draw two. But that doesn't […] See MoreExam #2