MAT 1175 – Fundamentals of Mathematics

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Individual Progress Report For Group Project One

Cindy

Cindy Soto
    Professor Reitz
    Group # 9

My group project is to figure out how many people can fit on the Brooklyn Bridge laying down. The first thing we did was take a survey of some of our classmates height. This survey will help us a lot because we will be using some of our classmates height to figure out how many people can fit on the Brooklyn Bridge laying down. My group and I will be building a model of the Brooklyn Bridge by using cardboard and we will also use little toy soldiers to represent the people. By using our classmates height, we will set up an equation that will help my group and I figure out how many people can fit on the Brooklyn Bridge laying down. So far i have helped figure out what will be using for our hands on component and how we will be adding math to our project. I will help build the model of the Brooklyn Bridge by getting the little toy soldiers and I will also help set up an equation that will help us figure out how many people can fit on the Brooklyn Bridge laying down.

hmoller
    Participant

Horacio Moller (group 7) professor Retiz

What my group and I have chosen to base our project on is what the weight limits of the Brooklyn Bridge are. We plan to have different amounts of weights from various objects. With this weight we will analyze how many objects can fit on the bridge before the cables snap and sending the bridge to its doom. For the hands-on part we will collect the information based on New Yorkers for example what is the most common car in New York, what is the average weight, and also we will use MTA trains and MTA buses which are well known in New York. The math part is pretty simple like I said before it’s about how many objects with different weights the bridge holds can before reaching its limit. What I have done so far is help establish an idea for our project and help it expand. Also I have done research on the Brooklyn Bridge and all of its information to do with our project. What I will contribute for the remainder of this project is help finish and put together this project on all aspects.

candice W
    Participant

Candice Wright
    Porf. Halleck
    Group #14

For our project, we came up with an idea to create a visual description of the history and its significance, regarding the Brooklyn Bridge. In this project, we will research the Bridges history such as, when was the bridge built?, how long did it take to build?, how many people died in the process?, what people may not know about the bridge even with research, how was math used to build the bridge?, and etc. We may construct interview questions to ask tourists, engineers and/or specialized historians linked to the Brooklyn Bridge, depending on their availability. As of our hand on component we will also construct a brochure that not only incorporates significant and interesting facts advertising the Bridge for future and returning tourists, but also lists key parts of the bridge that they may not see, making this a great souvenir when they go back home. As for the math component of our project, we decided to go into full detail explaining and listing the physics of the bridge.

As of right now, for this project, I have done a steady amount of research for the history and mathematical construction. I have constructed some questions for the interviews we may do depending on the availability. I also brainstormed some ideas for the brochure not making it boring and uninteresting but fun and educational. For the future, my group hasn’t yet set any specific parts of the project that we will due, but we all would contribute to each specific part of the project. For now, my goal would be to work on the brochure and the overall project gathering pictures, and information while citing my sources for the bridged history.

abuasi94

Almuthanna Abuasi
    Professor Halleck
    Group #1
    Me and my group are planning to build a bridge that is made up of glue and toothpick. We are debating within our group whether we should use toothpicks or pop-sickle sticks, most likely pop-sickle sticks. Our goal is to make the bridge hold a great amount of weight, and manage to calculate how much can it weigh. The hands-on part of the bridge will be sticking and gluing the sticks together to construct a bridge. The physics of bridges includes the concept of Newton’s third law of motion (Action-reaction forces). This is what scientists and engineers use when building todays bridges. the project will most likely educate us and our class about the bridge and the gravity, air Resistance, and moving objects. bridges have been designed in two ways to withstand the nature of its surroundings. first the beam bridge consist in horizontal beams.The second way is the suspension bridge trust system beneath the roadway to resist bending. i have done research on different kinds of bridge’s and how they can be constructed. Most likely the bridge will be constructed of pop-sikles. The assembly of traingles will divide the weight more evenly throughout the bridge and that allows for a more stable bridge. i will to put as much effort as i can and me and my group will start to increase our effort and most likely we shall have the project finished within a two weeks.

eliyahoo
    Participant

Eliyahu Shtauber
    Professor Halleck
    Group #11

The purpose of my group’s project is to find out how many people use the bridge every day, and how has that number changed over the lifespan of the bridge. Our hands-on project will be to find pictures of the bridge during its different stages of its life, and showing (in a slide show) how many people it was able to accommodate at the various stages. The math and science component will be to find out the different modes of transportation and how efficient each one is, and how many people use it.
    So far I have searched online for different graphs and charts from different years, saying how many people used the bridge that year. I found a few charts and reports that seem very useful. I plan on going to library and researching Brooklyn Bridge crossings more in depth. I also plan on looking online, and at the library, for pictures of the bridge at its various stages of life.

perez92

John Perez Group # 7:
    My groups project is finding what the weight limits of the Brooklyn Bridge is. Distinctive objects and various variables will be used such as cars, trucks, and buses. With the weight accumulated from such variables we will calculate them to the bridge’s maximum weight. The math behind tis project could well be proportions and basic math like adding and subtracting. Other variables will be on how many cars will actually fit on the bridge in order to calculate its maximum weight. My part of this project was to research New York and its people. I had to research on what is the most common used car in New York city and approximately how many cars could fit on the brooklyn bridge, in order to calculate of course.
    The hands on component might well be a poster with nifty photos or drawings of different vehicles and , of course, the bridge. These photos will have each weight corresponding to its vehicle. This project is alright, and i will continue to put my part for the group.

edaocello

Eda Ocello
    Group: 8
    Professor Halleck

My group’s project is Building a model of the Brooklyn Bridge. We are going to look up how long it took to build the actual Brooklyn bridge and set up a proportion to see it we can have the right math. So far, I have looked up history about the bridge and how they started to build each tower. I also noted different ways we can build our bridges meaning, what we will build it with. It came to mind to use tooth picks as the best bet. Also, we want our model bridge to have the measurements as close as we can to the actual bridge, so we must also continue to the due research in math about measurements. We plan on spending a lot of time looking at the physics of the bridge. Also, and idea came to use to take picture as we build our model in the process we do it in. In our power point Presentation, we would like to have slide show pictures that compare and contrast our model building process pictures to the Brooklyn Bridge’s building process pictures. We have to keep to be as close as we can to our measurements when building the model to make sure it is steady enough to present.

Rebecca Kogan
    Participant

Rebecca Kogan GROUP #: 8
    MEMBERS: Eda O. (Halleck), Rebecca K. (Halleck), NICHOLAS W.
    (Reitz), CAROLINA M. (Reitz)

My group is planning to build a model of the Brooklyn Bridge using proportions. Incorporating proportions into the project will help us understand the time and effort put into building the actual Brooklyn Bridge. The time put into the proportions will include time used to gather materials, design the bridge and ultimately complete the model. Our group has done some research on the background of the bridge. So far, we know what materials were used to construct the bridge, who built the bridge and problems as well as setbacks during construction. We plan to record our setbacks and problems as well. Our only dispute is what materials we should use to build our model bridge. We are wondering whether toothpicks and or matches will be sturdy enough. Eda and I have also thought about using cardboard or wood, which seem like the better options. To record our results, we will set up line graphs, tallies and take many photos showing our progress. I plan to make a few more visits to the bridge before beginning the hands-on part of our project to get a better idea of what the bridge looks like besides looking up photographs. It is very important for us to be precise with our proportions, timing and measurements or else the project will not go the way we are hoping it will. We plan to meet up with the other two members in our group from Professor Reitz class as soon as possible so we can get some ideas from them as well.

Jesse

Jesse Mohammed
    Group #2
    Prof Reitz

My group is going to calculate the amount of people and cars that pass on the Brooklyn Bridge in one day. Wilmer and I met up with Chante from the other class and she told us what our project would be a bout and we all agreed to it. There is another person but he didn’t come to school that day. The hands on would be the ride the ferry across the water and take pictures of the people and cars and create a collage with it. We have all only met once because there was miscommunication and then Chante was sick, and then I had to work after class. Hopefully when the class merges together for a day, more will get done on the project and we will meet the other person that is in our group. We still have to plan on a day to do the hands on part of the project. The math part of the project is estimating the amount of cars and people crossing the bridge and comparing it to the statistics that we will have to research and find. While presenting we will talk about what we did and show the steps that we took to get there.

lucyao

Ao,XiaoJing
    Group#16
    Prof Reitz

My group is going to compare the different between brooklyn bridge and mahattan bridge about their lenght weight and distance. I have done some research about some of the brooklyn bridge and mahattan bridge, I thinking to use model to present those two bridge but i haven’t contact an other group member yet. So we haven’t decide any of it so far.
    According to this project will understand the calculation when people use to creat those two bridge long time ago, how could they use the simple formula to calculate a complicate number to build up a bridge. All i have done so far!

kgardiner17

Kiana Gardiner: Professor Reitz
    GROUP# 3

My group will be giving some history on the Brooklyn Bridge and its significance. I have already began to conduct research on the Brooklyn Bridge. I found out when it was made, who constructed it, how long it is, and its surounding areas. We will be choosing two types of bridges and making a model of each. I was thinking that we should choose a suspension and draw bridge. I think this because I believe it would be good to test our skills and do something challenging. We will be explaining breifly why we chose these types of bridges to depict. My partner, Walter, and I have breifly discussed how we could possibly build this bridge. We came to the conclusion that popsicle sticks might work. I also think that skinny sticks of wood might work as well. For this project, we will need to come together as a group and work hard. I am still gathering reaearch, and trying to figure out what materials we will need to construct the model. I will be responsible for conducting more research on the Brooklyn Bridge, gathering materials, and ensuring that this project is complete.

kevin18ny

Man, Au
    Group#16
    Prof Reitz
    My group project is going to compare between the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattans Bridge.
    In this project, we will do a research about two bridge length, height and weight. Also, we will
    calculate the time by walking, driving, or bicycling through those bridges from the start point and the
    end point and we will calculate that bridge’s height between the river and the bridge. To present this project we will use a model or a PowerPoint to describe the similarity and differences with between Manhattan Bridge and Brooklyn Bridge.

chintz17

Nathan Chintala
    Prof. Halleck
    Group ? justin and me

in my group project we are going to build the brooklyn bridge with sticks and compare the length of that with the length of the actual bridge. How long the bridge is in size, to how long the one we made is. We are not sure about all the details about how we are going to do this and all, because half of my old group dropped the class and I’m the only one left. so until then this is what I have.

Andrea24

Andrea Sukhu
    Prof. Halleck
    Group 10

My groups project is simply measuring the time and distance it takes for an object to fall from the bridge to reach the water. Since we cannot actually complete the assignment using the actual bridge and water itself, we decided to replace the bridge by using a high story building, and water by using the ground floor. The object we decided to use to drop off the building will a be tennis ball. We will also be using a stop watch, most likely from our phones, or ipods to measure the time in distance it takes for the tennis ball to reach the ground. The assignment offcourse is based on a math/science experiment as we all know. The math porprtion of our project will be measuring the time it will take for the tennis ball to drop and hit the floor, as well as a graph based on the time and distance it takes. We will plot the graph by calculating the time converted to distance. For instance, if the tennis ball takes exactly two minutes to hit the floor by 44ft, then it will take four minutes to hit the floor when the building is 88ft. The science porportion of this experiment is the gravity of the tennis ball as it is being dropped.

My part of the group project so far was researching the history of the Brooklyn Bridge. It’s important to have a good background of the Brooklyn Bridge so that when presenting, we will have good background information to introduce our topic. We also each had a part in our “trial and error” report. At first, we tested the experiment out by using a pen as our object and the levels of floors in our school building to measure the distance. After trying this, we realized that it didnt make sense because we didnt know the exact length of the ground floor to the different floors of the building in the atrium. We only knew the time of how far it took to hit the floor. When we do the project, each of us will be split into two groups since theres four members in our group. Romel and I will go up to the building and drop the tennis ball, while Olivia and Romel concentrate on the time it takes for the ball to land on the floor. This assignment seems interesting so far, not to mention that Galileo did our experiment which makes it even more exciting to do it.

Hibba Abbas
    Participant

Hibba Abbas : Professor Halleck
    Group #: 13

My group assignment is to compare between the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge in height and length. We also want to figure out the difference from person walking and jogging on the Brooklyn Bridge compared to the Manhattan Bridge. The height of the tower of Brooklyn Bridge is 276 feet and 6 inches above the water and the height of roadway above the water is 119 feet. Also the length is 5,989 feet including the ramps. In addition to the Brooklyn Bridge the tower height of the Manhattan Bridge is 336 ft above water. The length is 6,855 ft including the ramps. Manhattan Bridge is higher and longer then the Brooklyn Bridge. My group also has to do a hand’s on component part for this project. For this part we are going to draw the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge. And the last part for this project is math and science components. For this part we are comparing materials of both bridges. The Brooklyn Bridge is made of steel and granite and the Manhattan Bridge is made of nickel steel.

In this project I am in charge of the hands on component part. I have all ready decided to draw the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge. I have also gathered all the materials that I need for drawing. But I have not yet draw anything and I will soon start my drawing.

My group has already found the actual height and length for the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge. It is little difficult for us to find the difference between the person walking at a steady pace and jogging on both bridges. Everyone walk and jogs at a different pace so we will be working with “The average” for both. We are still researching on Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Bridge for more details from the net.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.