MAT 1175 – Fundamentals of Mathematics

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Individual Progress Report #2

Rahshawn Barber
    Professor Reitz
    Group #11

The purpose of my group’s project is to find out how many people use the bridge every day, and how has that number changed over the lifespan of the bridge. My group met on Thursday and we decided that instead of a slideshow for the hands-on component, we will build a model of the bridge and use it to show different times of bridge crossings. The math and science component will be to find out the different modes of transportation and how efficient each one is, and how many people use it.
    We decided that each member of the group will be responsible for getting information on bridge crossings from different years such as opening – 1925 and 1926-1950 and so on. I will be responsible for bridge crossing information from 1975- 2011. We will meet sometime this week to further discuss the building of the model. I will go to the research center in the library to collect information on bridge crossings, And will also do research on Google about building a model.

omargani
    Participant

Professor Reitz
    Group 11
    We met on Thursday in Professor. Reitz class and we decided to do different years of research from since the Bridge was built. I will be working on researching on internet and whole group including me are going to built model of the Bridge. I also will start the presentation from the beginning. we also will discuss more about the project. We also trying to communicate with each other and also trying to get new ideas from researches. I think it is Physics component because we are working on building a bridge and calculating cars, peoples, and bicycle in different on years and trying to find different between since it was built from Now. I am happy to communicate with the group and we agree with same ideas about project that we are doing.

edaocello

Eda Ocello
    Group: 8
    Professor Halleck

My group’s project is Building a model of the Brooklyn Bridge. We didn’t change much about our project except that we picked that we will make the model of the bridge out of popsicle sticks. We also made clear that the math we will find in the project is to set up a proportion. Incorporating proportions into the project will help us understand the time and effort put into building the actual Brooklyn Bridge. The time put into the proportions will include time used to gather materials, design the bridge and ultimately complete the model. How our model of the bridge is similar to the size of the Brooklyn bridge and see if we can get it as close to a scale model as possible and by setting up the proportion, we can see how off we were. Also, we want our model bridge to have the measurements as close as we can to the actual bridge, so we must also continue to the due research in math about measurements. We are also going to includes the Bridge’s history in our. So far, I have looked up history about the bridge and how they started to build each tower. We plan on spending a lot of time looking at the physics of the bridge. Also, and idea came to use to take picture as we build our model in the process we do it in. In our power point Presentation, we would like to have slide show pictures that compare and contrast our model building process pictures to the Brooklyn Bridge’s building process pictures. We have try our best to be as close as we can to our measurements when building the model to make sure it is steady enough to present. We plan to make a few more visits to the bridge before beginning the hands-on part of our project to get a better idea of what the bridge looks like besides looking up photographs. It is very important for us to be precise with our proportions, timing and measurements or else the project will not go the way we are hoping it will.

perez92

Professor Reitz
    John Perez
    Group #7
    The meeting gave us a chance to divide each part for each member in order to start the project. With this done we only had minor changes done, but now our project is under way. My groups project is basically finding what the weight limits of the Brooklyn Bridge is. Distinctive objects and various variables will be used such as cars, trucks, and buses. With the weight accumulated from such variables we will calculate them to the bridge’s maximum weight in order to find when the bridge would BREAK!!!. The math of this project is the proportions and basic math like adding and subtracting. Other variables will be the number of cars that will actually fit on the bridge so that we can calculate its maximum weight. My part of this project is to research New York and its people. I had to research on what is the most common used car in New York city. The most common car is Honda, also i researched on approximately how many cars could fit on the Brooklyn bridge.
    The hands on component will be a poster consisting of photos or of different vehicles and , of course, the bridge. These photos will have each weight corresponding to its vehicle.I will continue to contribute in any part of the project for my group. The math will consist on multiplying the total number of cars by their weights. Then we will compare it to the maximum weight of the bridge to calculate how much weight is needed to break the bridge.

Cindy

Cindy Soto
    Prof. Reitz
    Group #9

My group and I got the chance to talk a little more about what our model of the Brooklyn Bridge will look like and what everyone can do to make this project good. There was a change with the members of our group, two of them dropped the class. So now we are working with group number two and it actually worked out good because luckily they agreed to work with our project idea. Now we have to work on the model of the Brooklyn Bridge and start preparing our presentation. I will try to meet with some of my group members to try to help build the model of the Brooklyn Bridge. For the math connection with our project, we will make up an equation to try to find out how many people can fit on Brooklyn Bridge laying down. For example, we can use the length of the Brooklyn Bridge, the survey we took of our classmates height and the variable X, which can represent the people that fit on the Brooklyn Bridge laying down. So far it’s been alright, it was good to meet with our group members on tuesday to talk about the project together. Working in groups can be good at times because sometimes you learn how to work with others and also you learn more by working with other people.

Wilmer Jael

Wilmer Baez
    Prof. Reitz
    Group #2

Hello Professor…

There was a change in my group, now we are working with group number 2 from prof. Reitz class and Jesse and I are from that class also. It worked out very good because we found that this project was more interesting than the one we had before. We talked about what the project was and we are all agree with that project is. We gonna meet up again con tuesday to talk about what our next step will be since we have to start to build things for our project.
    First I didn’t like the idea of working in groups because I am a very independent person. however working in groups can teach you a lot, and prepares you for the future. =]

Diana Guaman
    Professor: Halleck
    Group # 17

Having the meeting was a great opportunity to meet with our group and discuss about our projects. During the meeting I had a chance to have a discussion about the topic of our project and together we decided to change the idea. At the beginning our idea was to take pictures of interesting parts of the Brooklyn Bridge and the Williamsburg Bridge. In addition, we decided to build two models of the Brooklyn and Williamsburg Bridge with wood sticks instead of taking pictures. The idea is basically going to be a comparison of the bridges in length as well as the two models. Also, the models will be directly proportionate to the actual bridge. Moreover, we decided to begin working in research about both bridges and each of us we have to investigate the dimensions from both bridges. I’m responsible to buy the wood sticks and collect some research. The math portion of our project is to compare the length of the two bridges as well as the two models. Also, we are using ratios, and proportions for the math portion. So far I have contributed for my project is the lengths of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Nicholas Wilmoth
    Professor Reitz
    Group 8

On Thursday, we met up in Professor Halleck’s class for the first. time. It was nice to finally meet the other members of the group. Now that we have met, it should be a little simpler to move on with the project. During our meeting we had accomplished a lot, as far as the planning of the project, and the whole process of what we will be dealing with for the remainder of the semester. It still remains that we will be building a replica of the Brooklyn Bridge. We will be using popsicle sticks and a hot gun glue for the construction of the model. We plan on researching the history of the building of the Brooklyn Bridge. Doing so we will learn of the exact proportionate measures, so we are able to construct a precise, down-sized copy. The experience so far has been okay. At first it was frustrating, but having now met my group members, everything seems to be good. We will be meeting up and building the bridge, which should be a blast. I really look forward to working on this. I guess the reasoning between this project is to learning how to apply mathematics to something in the world that may not necessarily be related to math, all while getting the chance to meet some new faces.

sbailey
    Participant

Shavon Bailey
    Professor halleck
    Group 4

My group project is to paint the wooden planks of the Brooklyn bridge pink in honor of breast cancer. The mathematicalcomponets are the measurements of the wooden planks how many gallons of paint,hours needed by each person. We are also using a photoshop picture of the bridge that will be pink. Thursday was another opportunity for my partner and I to come together and do some more brain storming. Now that our group has been downsized to two people more work has to be completed in less time which is fine. We dicussed actually going to the bridge to measure the wooden planks. We just reinforced our previous ideas not any big changes except we’re indecisive on whether we should still add how many people would be needed to paint the wooden planks since our group has been. Down sized. I personally think creating a group project with two different groups was a good idea. At first I wasn’t to pleased but i understand and enjoy all of the partners that I’ve had. This is preparing us for future classes and jobs where you must interact with different peopleyou may not know.

Mishii
    Participant

Nahim Mishi
    Pro, Reitz
    Group #4

Our project idea is to paint the Brooklyn Bridge pink in honor of breast cancer. On Thursday me and my partner got the opportunity to work on the project. We were able to look at our schedules and discuss when in the following weeks we can meet up and work on the project. Since now its just the two of us, we will have to do twice the work, but its ok. We did make a few miner changes as to how and when we would collect out data and also if we should calculate how many people needed or just forget it. Tomorrow November 22, my partner and I will be going to the bridge to calculate the planks and time ourselves. We are also planning to get together before the weekend off so we can discuss the amount of information, slides and pictures we will have in our presentation. The math in our project is the amount of paint needed and the working of each person for now. Well personally this experience is helping me see that not always can you have things your way and also the fact that you need to learn to cooperate with people working with you. This is a great practice for the future jobs ahead when we need to work as a team and not individuals.

lucyao

Ao,XiaoJing
    Pro Reitz
    Group#16

Our group idea is to compare two bridge which is Brooklyn Bridge and mahhttan Bridge, so we decide to draw a 3D model of these two bridge by using rhino to draw it. We planing each one do one stuff, Man is going to find the research about it, Nathan is going to do the power point and the presentation, making sure is there will be good enough of the source that we finding about our topic. I will do the 3D model by using the program for the basic bridge and simple,.

Jesse

Jesse Mohammed
    Prof Reitz
    Group 2/9

Group 2 was split up and joined with group 9 because our group members dropped the class. We were suppose to be informed about this but we weren’t, we found out when our groups met. Our groups talked about what our projects originally were and we agreed to do the project that group 9 was originally doing. We will be building a model of the Brooklyn Bridge and use toys to demonstrate how many people can lay across the bridge. The math part of the project will be to make up an equation to try to find out how many people can fit on Brooklyn Bridge laying down. We will make an equation based on the average height of the students in class to figure out how many people can lay across the Brooklyn Bridge. We also need to work on how we will present this project to everyone. This new group merge was good because we are all in the same class so it makes it easier for us to work together as a group and it wont be too difficult to meet up. I like working in groups because the work load becomes much more easier and you can always learn from one another.

Hibba Abbas
    Participant

Hibba Abbas
    Professor Halleck
    Group # 13

During our group meeting on Thursday Gretchen, Sohana, and I, finally got chance to meet one other, with the exception of Jose who was not there because he has dropped the class. In our meeting we have accomplished a lot, as far as we decided the parts for each other and planned how to meet each other to work on our project. We have divided our project in to three parts. Gretchen is doing the hands on component part. Sohana is doing the power point presentation part. And I am doing the research part. After each one is done with their parts then we will be email our parts to each other. Also there were some changes made in our project as a result of our group meeting today. The first change that we made in our project is that we will be drawing the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge instead of building the 3d model of the bridge. In addition to that change we have also shift our parts with each other. Before I was going to do the hands on component, but now I am doing the research part. Sohana was doing the research part before, but now she is doing the power point presentation part. And before Gretchen was going to do the power point presentation part, but now she will be doing the hands on component part.

There is still some work that remains to be done in our project. For example we still need to draw both bridges and then email it to each other for a better presentation. I will contribute my time and effort for this project to make it outstanding. For example I am planning a trip on November 22nd to observe the Manhattan Bridge compared to the Brooklyn Bridge in height, length, width, and weight. The math or science component part of our project is to use proportion. We will be using proportion to find the height, length, width, and weight of Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge.

Having reached the halfway point of our project, my reflection on the experience so far has been really good. Before meeting with my group members, I was little frustrated, but after the meeting from Thursday everything seems to be good. I was frustrated on how I will be able to communicate with my group members and will their schedule will meet mine, but the meeting make me feel good. I think the reason that we are asked to work in groups in this way is to learn how to apply mathematics on real world situations. Also I think that we were put into groups from different classes, because to let us work with students who we were not familiar before.

Hibba Abbas
    Participant

Hibba Abbas
    Professor Halleck
    Group # 13

During our group meeting on Thursday Gretchen, Sohana, and I, finally got chance to meet one other, with the exception of Jose who was not there because he has dropped the class. In our meeting we have accomplished a lot, as far as we decided the parts for each other and planned how to meet each other to work on our project. We have divided our project in to three parts. Gretchen is doing the hands on component part. Sohana is doing the power point presentation part. And I am doing the research part. After each one is done with their parts then we will be email our parts to each other. Also there were some changes made in our project as a result of our group meeting today. The first change that we made in our project is that we will be drawing the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge instead of building the 3d model of the bridge. In addition to that change we have also shift our parts with each other. Before I was going to do the hands on component, but now I am doing the research part. Sohana was doing the research part before, but now she is doing the power point presentation part. And before Gretchen was going to do the power point presentation part, but now she will be doing the hands on component part.

There is still some work that remains to be done in our project. For example we still need to draw both bridges and then email it to each other for a better presentation. I will contribute my time and effort for this project to make it outstanding. For example I am planning a trip on November 22nd to observe the Manhattan Bridge compared to the Brooklyn Bridge in height, length, width, and weight. The math or science component part of our project is to use proportion. We will be using proportion to find the height, length, width, and weight of Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge.

Having reached the halfway point of our project, my reflection on the experience so far has been really good. Before meeting with my group members, I was little frustrated, but after the meeting from Thursday everything seems to be good. I was frustrated on how I will be able to communicate with my group members and will their schedule will meet mine, but the meeting make me feel good. I think the reason that we are asked to work in groups in this way is to learn how to apply mathematics on real world situations. Also I think that we were put into groups from different classes, because to let us work with students who we were not familiar before.

ana15

Ana Valerio
    Group #15

So last thursday when me and my group finally had a chance to meet up we exchanged numbers and started brain storming about our project. we came up with the idea that for the visual part we would each take pictures of the trains we take to and from school, and since i live on staten island i would also incorporate the ferry. we each take different trains so were going to have all different forms of transportation in our project. as for the math part we want to calculate the time it takes for each of us to get to the school, from the moment we leave our house to the time we sit in our seats. and turning all of our information into a big word problem and turning that word problem into our slide show presentation. we have alot of work to get done but im excited now that we have an actual plan. we still havnt decided who is going to do what yet but i would like if i could do the visual part, maybe make a 3d model of my train or ferry i take and incorporate that somehow. either way our project is going to get done and its going to be nice.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.