MAT 1175 – Fundamentals of Mathematics

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Individual Progress Report #2

Andrea24

Andrea Sukhu
    Professor Haleck
    Group 10

My group was able to come to an agreement to finally have a location on where we’re going to do the experiment itself. We came to a conclusion that we will drop the ball from the roof of my building. We were also able to discuss Galileo’s experiment he had done four hundred years ago. There werent any changes to my groups meeting. We all had part in what we’ve done so far such as, the trial and error report as well as the history of the Brooklyn Bridge. What remain to be done with our project is the actual experiment offcourse, we will be doing that on this Tuesday coming up. We also need to discuss how we will come together to present our project, as in, who will take each part. We decided to leave that for last because as soon as we get the experiment done and over with, it will be better to share our ideas onto one paper and make an outline of how our presentation to both classes will take effect. We will each discuss the free time we have so that our group members could come together to meet me in the Bronx to proceed the experiment on the roof of my building. In order to calculate the length of my building from the roof onto the floor, i will ask my super for detailed information. There are Six floors in my building, so with each time we drop the ball, we could estimate the distance and simply check it by doing the experiment six time from each floor. For example, if it takes the ball to drop seven seconds from the first floor, it has to take fourteen seconds for the ball to drop from the second floor, twenty-one seconds from the third, twenty-eight seconds from the fourth, thirty- five from the fifth, and forty-two from the six. Working in a group of more than two people indeed carries on frustration. But i must say, the only frustrations my group has is getting to do the experiment because our schedules dont fit to one anothers. The time that we have to do the experiment would be impossible to travel all the way to the Bronx to do it, to come back all the way to jay st for class in just forty five minutes. We really are trying to work on this, but we will soon get this experiment done…

Rebecca Kogan
    Participant

Rebecca Kogan
    Professor Halleck
    Group # 8

In today’s class we finally met our third group member, Nick. One of our group members had dropped the class so we had to re-discuss the main component of our project. We made a lot of progress considering we decided upon what material we would use to build the bridge; popsicle sticks, which I will be providing. We will use a hot glue gun to keep the popsicle sticks together. The bridge will be built at my house. The three of us still have to decide on a day where we will meet up and do the hands-on component. Nick will be doing the research on the history of the brooklyn bridge. The most important information we must know is the length as well as the width of the bridge. Other aspects such as bridge construction materials, time it took to make the bridge (including design, construction, etc.) and architecture are important as well. Eda will be providing the powerpoint presentation where we will include our progress building the bridge along with the information we have learned and discovered. We will be setting up a proportion: time/size (of our bridge) time/size (the brooklyn bridge). We will try to take the width and the height of the actual bridge and downscale it to the smallest size we can to make the scale as precise as possible. Whether or not our scale model turned out as planned will be the conclusion of our experiment. We also plan on visiting the bridge and taking photographs of our own. I look forward to furthering this project and seeing where it goes from our meeting.

bibi

Bibi Uddin
    Group 14
    Professore Halleck

My group and I were finally able to meet up after a long time of not communicating properly. We benefited from today because we all agreed on who is doing what to help contribute to the project. My group and I made changes to the project so that each of us will have an opportunity to help contribute. On my behalf I will be making the brochure of the Brooklyn Bridge and why it is such an attraction to tourists. I have already printed out pictures from the Brooklyn Bridge that we took on the day of the field trip that will go in the brochure as well as information my group members find to help spice up the brochure for tourists. My other group members will each interview several people such as the food vendors on the Brooklyn bridge; how many tourist they see on average and if they why is it such an attraction and why did they choose to sell on the Brooklyn bridge why is it to them such an attraction; one of our group members has agreed to interview an engineer from the architecture dept. here at city tech to explain the mathematical components of the bridge for example the amount of materials needed for the bridge and give their input about the Brooklyn and why it is such an attraction. Last but not least we will also interview tourists to give their input on why they come to see the Brooklyn Bridge as oppose to any other bridge in the city. We will also be incorporating a slideshow of all our findings; interviews, pictures, the mathematics of bridge, etc. Based on the group actually meeting up we really benenfited from getting our project planned out however it is difficult to meet up because everyone is very busy with their schedules which is one of the frustrations of this project.

kgardiner17

Kiana Gardiner
    Professor Reitz
    Group #3

In the meeting my partner,Walter, and I were trying to figure out where our group members were. We found out that two of our group mates have dropped the class. The only problem is that there is one more person that we have not heard from. We assume that she has also dropped the class. I strongly believe that this was very irresponsible of the students to not notify their fellow group mates. But this just shows that they do not care. If we knew this, the project could have been started and almost complete by now.
    Now it will be up to Walter and I, to construct a 3D model of the Brooklyn Bridge, and complete the presentation. We still need to buy the materials for the model, decide how many models we will construct, conduct more research on the Brooklyn Bridge, put together the powerpoint presentation, and finally, making sure everything gets done efficiently.
    I will gather more research on the Brooklyn Bridge such as, who built it, its area (length and width), when it was built, and what its significance was. We will incorporate pictures, as well as breif dscriptions of our thoughts and feelings while walking the bridge, and after.
    For example, the bridge consists of wooden planks, suspension ropes, bicycles, cars, pedestrians, and trains. The bridge is supported with caissons, and steel bar stone breakers.
    Having reached the halfway mark on the project, my partner Walter and I, have learned to communicate more, as well as not waiting on others to get thw work done. I think the professors are asking us to work in groups to get to know our classmates better, and to see how we interact with students with the other class. Another reason we were asked to work in groups was to learn that math can be interesting. It is not just what you learn inside the classroom, but much more.

lalayudi
    Participant

Yudi Wu
    Professor Reitz
    Group 15

Our group came up with a great plan. We decided to take a picture of the trains that we take. We also tried to come up with an equation that is related to math and science. This has not a lot to do with science, maybe in some ways. also, we was thinking to do a power point presentations with the distance from our place to the school. We also have to do the poster. This takes a lot of time to do it. The power point really need a lot of time to prepare for it. Since, it requires a lot of time, we really have to start moving fast. We have to research a lot. We have to find out the time that we need to get here. We was thinking to find out all the trains to get here, but it is not neccessary. we just find out the trains that we know and we have to figure out the time and distance. One member is not here, but i am sure that he will gets all this information. Even though this seems a lot of information, but we will definitley do our best in this project. We all are excited ti get more to this. We have to take a lot of pictures, informations to make a poster and a poster. Actually, we can just make a power point, then it will be better. The thing with the power point, is that we have to do something with hads on project, as a result, we have to do a model or a poster. A model requires even more work, so a poster will be fine. In adddtion, science and math does related to each other. Since, math has an equation, then science has its equation too. In addition, our project has to do with math and science. We will do our best, and we will make it.

brina92

Individual Progress Report # 2 by Aubrina Halley
    Group#17
    Professor Halleck
    In my group meeting we finally met each other. It was a little awkward at first because of our different personalities, and no one clear idea of what to do for the project, but we brainstorm and it work out. Though communication at times could be frustrating in a group, one positive is different ideas being thought of. We just have to work on when we are going to meet up again to further talk about project, and do it, power point, who will do what. Though I will start researching on materials used to build the Brooklyn and Williamsburg bridges. Our project did change slightly because we are not doing anything with pictures anymore, or a poster board. We are researching the length and dimensions of the bridges, and building a model of each bridge. The models are to be proportionate to real bridges. So we could calculate the length of each bridge using ratios and proportions, that’s the math to the project.

Zytasia Gaines
    Prof Reitz
    Group #6

When our group met on Thursday we realized that one of our members dropped the class so now we had to divide the work up differently, I guess in a way it worked out for the better so now it’s not so many peoples schedule to worry about. In the meeting we started our PowerPoint presentation, and an outline on what each slide would include. There were no changes done to the project on the meeting. As a group we decided not only to research the length of the bridge and try to calculate the time it would take to walk but for all of us to meet up Tuesday November 22nd to do the entire walk so we can have accurate information on the time it takes to from the school across the Brooklyn bridge through Manhattan and back to the school via the Manhattan bridge. We will observe the many different routes that can be taken through the city and as a group pick the shortest yet most scenic path. The math section of our project will be exactly like what we did when we walked the Brooklyn Bridge as a class and had to calculate the length by dividing it by time etc . . . . We will be doing the same process to calculate the miles, feet, and time for each part of our walk separately and then add everything for the entire trip. Having reached the halfway point in the project the many positives I see from working in a group is preparation for after college live where many careers may not require group work but with another person. Getting over it now will possibly help me learn different strategies as to how to get work done with the many obstacles that comes with working in a group (communication scheduling etc.). I also have found myself in many math classes wanting to ask the teacher “now what does this have to do with life?” this project gives you an idea on how math can incorporate in to a person’s everyday life, for example if you have somewhere to be at a certain time and you know the distance and how long it takes you to walk a mile you can divide to figure out the time it would take you to get there. That is the reason I believe this class was asked to work in groups.

hmoller
    Participant

Horacio Moller
    Professor Reitz
    Group #7
    We have established what are our duties and what are we going to accomplish. I decided to do further more research on the bridge and what are its limits. My two other group mates are working on what are the most common cars, and peoples average weight. There were very minor changes on our project, what they were was the variables which ones we will use to base our projects proportions. What I will do for my part is find out what are some basic facts of the bridge for example on a daily basis 2,000 people walk the bridge. I will also find what are the weight limits the bridge can hold. I have found that no vehicles over 3 tons can enter the bridge as a sign on the entrance of the bridge states.
    We will use proportions for our math part

Quantity of the variable(how much it weights)

weight limit of the bridge

For the math part we will multiple the the total number of cars (for example) by its weight. Then we will get that total just barely over the bridge limit so we can have an idea how many it would take to brake it. Now that we are at the mid point of the class as a group we faced difficulties. At the beginning we didn’t really have an communication and couldn’t establish what our project would be. As time went on we now have a solid stream of communication and we can benefit from each others feed back.

romelpersaud92
    Participant

Progress report 2

my group members discussed a place where this experiment can actually take place, and we came to a conclusion to to do it by our group member Andrea apartment. she happen to live in the Bronx, but she say it pretty close and 20mins away. what is left to do is basically the experiment part of our project, which is to drop the object and record the time. the hardest struggle we faced so far is trying to find time to this experiment, none of my group member schedule matches up except for the days we have math. and some of us work or live to far. we are also discussing the fact on how we are going to present this project and the format.

oneillest

Victor Chen
    Professor Reitz
    Group #1
    My group member and i found out one person has dropped the course and the other member we’re not to sure if he dropped or was just absent. I found out my partner works on friday-sunday so our schedule doesn’t really match up.We agreed on building the bridge with popsicle sticks, which i was to buy all the items used to make the bridge while he writes the presentation. I found a bridge kit online but it only has toothpicks, but it should make the time building the bridge must faster since we have little time left to finish. When i receive the kit ill start building it myself, until we could find a date were we can get together and finish it up. A math/science example for our project would be; when forces on the bridge are added together the sum of the force is defined as load. While looking back the project date seems so far. Now its around the corner. It’s been really stressful working with other people since its college and everyone cant seem to get together. The reason why were asked to do this in a group was because it reflects life. Jobs aren’t meant to be done alone, but with other people.

candice W
    Participant

Candice Wright
    Prof. Halleck
    Group 14

During our group meeting, Tamika, Bibi, Benjamin and I, finally got a chance to meet one other and get acquainted with each other, with the exception of Katarzyna who wasn’t able to make it. There weren’t any real changes that we made for the project besides coming up with an overall theme and question as to why we are doing this project. The theme that we came up with was “Why is the Brooklyn Bridge such an attraction to tourist’s and the most visited bridge?” Also, during our meeting, we each decided what we all would do to contribute to our project. Tamika will conduct an interview with an actual tourist (if not a food vendor on the Bridge) who is visiting the Brooklyn Bridge or some one who has visited the Brooklyn Bridge in the past, to get his/her thoughts on the Bridge and why he/she visited the Bridge and ask a couple questions to ask, the maximum being five. Since Benjamin is an engineer major, Prof. Reitz gave our group a great idea to have him conduct an interview as well, but with an engineer/architect professor from his majors department to get a different view of the Bridge through an actual engineer. Bibi and I will work on the group’s hands on component, which is a brochure to help tourists better familiarize themselves with the Bridge, which will contain brief history on the bridge, a few pictures, physics and engineering aspects of the Bridge and etc. As for me, I will construct the power point that we will have to hand in and also the math component of our project, which is the physics of the bridge. The Physics of the bridge meaning, answering the following questions: How was the bridge made? What was used to build the bridge? What is the load of the bridge? What is the highest capacity the bridge can hold until it will drop? In brief, the mathematical component of our group projects is to find out all, if not, the majority of the technical aspects of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Since it was such a hassle for our group to get in touch with one another (which set our group back a bit) there is quite a few things that have to get done, but they will get done. Since we all decided what we each will be doing to contribute to out project, all now we have to do it follow through with everything, that is, find two people that will be nice enough to let us or Tamika and Benjamin ask them a few questions, that we all come up with in regards of the Brooklyn Bridge, come up with the questions to ask these nice people, collect data to put into our brochure as well as the power point, and also, we need to pick a date, where we all practice our presentation, so when its time to present, were all not flustered an nervous.

Reflecting on the experiences that our group, as a whole, went through for our project, from my point of view, thus far, is completely unacceptable and very annoying. But on a positive note, I realized that you can never really rely on people and you always have to do things yourself, but you have to work through the bad to get to the good, meaning you have to work hard for everything that you do in life, in hopes of being successful. So for my group, no matter all the hell we go through, I just hope this group project does not mess up my grade. The reason, I feel that prof. Halleck and Reitz asked us to complete this project was to have fun, as prof. Halleck said. I’m just waiting for the fun to begin. Also, to meet new people, I guess.

chyna101

Chyna Haywood
    Professor Halleck
    Group #18

During the class meeting my group and I had a successful understanding of each other schedules and what we are putting in the project. We realized that our schedules were different so we found out what times are best for us to meet, which is before every class. We made a change on the materials we are going to use to make the bridge. At first, we were going to use popsicle sticks, but our member Diego informed us using cardboard boxes will be better. So far, we found research on the Brooklyn Bridge and how big we want our model to be.
    The science part of our bridge includes how much (energy) and watts it takes to light the reefs. For example, if we have 10 reefs, we are going to measure how much energy each lights consist of and how far apart each reef is going to be. The only difficulty we face is actually where we are going to make the bridge. Also we plan on visiting the brooklyn bridge before Thanksgiving break so we can make a blueprint of our model bridge. Working with the students from the other math 1175 class gave us better ideas.

ostewart1

Olivia Stewart
    Professor Halleck
    Group #10

On thursday I was not able to attend the class meeting, But i have met with my group already and recently talked to them about what our plans are. They have agreed to do the project at Andreas house she is the only one that has an available roof and it is easier for all of us to meet there. We have already started on the research part of our project and the history. It is very exciting to do because we have so many different ideas on out experiment. It will be quiet difficult though because i live upstate New York, but i am willing to do what ever it takes to get this project done so i will be staying after school to do the project. I love my group members they are hilarious and have great team work! I know before i met them i was kind of worried because i did not think we were going to click, but we did instantly. Im upset that i missed the little meeting but we have gotten together so many times that it would not of changed anything. We are currently discussing on how we are going to present the project, but I’m sure it would not be hard. Mostly likely it will be a powerpoint presentation show you guys how we did our project and our calculations. This will most likely be the easy part.

abuasi94

Almuthanna Abuasi
    Professor Halleck
    Group #1

Me and my group member found out one person has dropped the course and the other member we’re not sure if he dropped or was just absent. Me and my partner agreed on building the bridge with popsicle sticks. My partner is to buy all the items for the bridge while i was to write the presentation. My group partner found a bridge kit online but it only has toothpicks. The kit should be enough to build the bridge much faster since we are limited on time. A math/science example for our project would be; when forces on the bridge are added together the sum of the force is defined as load. The deadline is approaching rapidly it is becoming a challenge to be able to finish the project on time. The reason why were asked to do this in a group was because it reflects life. Jobs aren’t meant to be done alone, but with other people.

eliyahoo
    Participant

Eliyahu Shtauber
    Professor Halleck
    Group #11

The purpose of my group’s project is to find out how many people use the bridge every day, and how has that number changed over the lifespan of the bridge. My group met on Thursday and we decided that instead of a slideshow for the hands-on component, we will build a model of the bridge and use it to show different times of bridge crossings. The math and science component will be to find out the different modes of transportation and how efficient each one is, and how many people use it.
    We decided that each member of the group will be responsible for getting information on bridge crossings from different years such as opening – 1925 and 1926-1950 and so on. I will be responsible for bridge crossing information from 1975- 2011. We will meet sometime this week to further discuss the building of the model. I will go to the research center in the library to collect information on bridge crossings, And will also do research on Google about building a model.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.