MAT 1175 – Fundamentals of Mathematics

• Group 17 project Power Point file and reflection
  • #12550

Ezra Halleck

please comment

#14835

Diana Guaman
    Group 17

In my project I think the math component would be the actual size of the Brooklyn Bridge and the Williamsburg Bridge compared to the size of the models. The purpose was to find the ratio between the lengths of the bridges.

1) The hardest part about working with my group was meeting each other and setting up a schedule to work in the project. Also, it was difficult to work togethers because we had different schedules and some members in my group didn’t have time.
    2) What I enjoyed about my project was doing research to find the length of the Brooklyn and Williamsburg bridge. Also, I enjoyed visiting both bridges and taking pictures.
    3) Worried and frustration because my group couldn’t finish building the two models and we didn’t have time to meet with each other. Also, some members didn’t finish their part of the project and at the end it was incomplete.

#14849

brina92
    Member

Aubrina Halley Professor Halleck
    Group:17
    A) Our math involve porportion real bridges over the model bridges. We’re trying to find estimate lenghts of the bridges.

B) I. The hardest part of working in a group was make suring what work each of us had to do, and then coming together. Because communication was diffcult, and we had different schedules

II. I enjoy researching about the bridges; because I learned facts I didn’t know, and got to see an awesome view over the water.

III. There was frustration to get everybody together, to make them do their work. There was worry if the models were going to be built, which turn into anxiety presentation day when our member of our group didn’t show up so no models.

#14865

Rebecca Kogan

Rebecca Kogan
    Professor Halleck
    EXTRA CREDIT 2

A – From this project, I have learned that the Williamsburg bridge is the only bridge built with a railway allowing trains. Most of the groups repeated the same information but I have not heard that in anyone’s presentation, which I found interesting. Similar to our project (group 8), this group built a model so I can relate on how difficult it probably was to build a model bridge with exact measurements, proportionate to that of the actual bridge.

B- 1. powerpoint slides –
    I think that the powerpoint slides could have been improved by adding photographs of their models being made. It would have been interesting to see the before and after process.
    2. math component-
    They stated that they had found the measurements of the bridge but never specified the measurements of the bridge or the measurements of their model bridge

I thought their summary was was really nice, though. I liked how they stated what they learned.

#14866

candice W

Candice Wright
    Prof. Halleck

A. This group learned the different aspects of both the Brooklyn Bridge and the Williamsburg Bridge, in means of their lengths. Also, they learned what materials were used to build the towers in both bridges.
    B. My suggestion to improve the hand on component their project was to provide pictures or the actual model that they built to give us a better understanding of the mathematical component of their project. As for the PowerPoint, the information was pretty clear and straightforward, my suggestion to improve this part of their project would be to add more pictures and change the background color to brighten it up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)