LNG1100, Spring2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Non-verbal communication survey

Hi students,
    On April 11, 2019, we studied various forms of non-verbal communication. I gave you a handout with a table of body parts used in communication. You were supposed to walk around the campus and find 2 people willing to respond to a few questions about a specific form of non-verbal communication (eyes, nose and ears, arms and hands, etc.).
    Please write a 6-8 sentence summary explaining who you interviewed, where, the demographics of the interviewee, and the findings.
    Post this by April 18 for extra credit.
    Prof. Alatriste

Israt Rija
    Participant

I interviewed three students. One is a girl who is from India, said she does eye movement while she studying by herself. For example, whenever she studies something, sometimes she closes her eyes during that time in order to see if she can remember things. I found this interesting because I do the same thing while I study. For me, it is helpful because by doing this, I can test myself after learning lessons. Then, I saw two girls standing together in front of the library and I went to them. I asked them what they know about non-verbal communication by using Shoulders, Arms, and Hands. They said, American shrug their shoulders and Hispanic people move or waive their arms and hands in many different ways. They think Americans shrug their shoulders because they don’t know something if someone asks questions. As I run out of time, I came back to the class but I think not only Hispanic people move and wave their hands, many other communities use this movement as a way to say hello to someone.

Alberto Alvarez
    Participant

I interviewed one student who was in front of the library. He was from Paraguay, and he told me that in his country he uses a lot of non-verbal communication because the majority of people by his community speak Guarani, a dialect language from his country that he doesn’t know. He told me one really funny thing he does is pucker his lips directly to an object to show a person what he is talking about. I found this interesting because in my culture when someone puckers their lips at us we think that they’re blowing a kiss at us. He also said that there are many forms of communication that he is still learning from his country though, whenever he saw someone put their fingers in front of their lips he would think that the person was asking for silence. What he didn’t know was that the person was actually just thinking and could care less about the noises in the background. What I learned from this interview was there are many differences in our culture when it comes to non-verbal communication.

Christopher Riba
    Participant

I interviewed one guy and one girl on most of the non-verbal communication examples. They both had similar views on many of the body expressions. They both said that close eye contact during discussion is being attentive and showing a sign of connection or intimacy. The girl thought the action of someone pursing their lips, pucking lips , and kissing their fingertips is a sign of flirting while the guy thought that doing these things is a sign of cheekiness or pettiness. They both thought that moving the shoulders up and down could have more than one meaning such as carelessness or having no clue about something. They also both thought that stomping feet resembles aggression or anger. Crossing legs was an interesting find, where the guy thought it would be weird for a guy to cross their legs when sitting but the girl said it is a universal thing.

NobodyAndNoOne
    Participant

there are many different views on body languge. i have interviewed 2 people, a Pakistani female and an American male. from the culture of Pakistan, communication is kept fairly static. there’s very little hand movement and generally eye contact is avoided, as it is seen as rude and challenging. a female’s legs are kept still,close together and covered, as it is inappropriate in their culture for a female to have their legs exposed. physical contact is much more casual however, with embraces and a much smaller personal space between each other.

for the American male, things were very much the opposite. while the male claimed that he himself does not use many hand gestures, he does note that its not uncommon for hands to be used for specific explanations. in addition, eye contact is maintained as it is seen as polite and shows attentiveness. he also states that stamping of feet or tapping indicates irritation, and the manner of sitting is more relaxed. finally, personal space is respected, sitting closer is seen as invasion of personal space and is quite rude. the difference between gender and culture shows how some regions of the world could perceive something such as eye contact differently, and how smaller things such as personal space is an important thing in the west, but not in the east.

Rahana Akther
    Participant

Non-verbal communication is about sending a message without using words. It includes body language, tone of voice, facial expressions, and the appearance of the communication. Non-verbal aspects of written communication, we refer to the design using colors, underline, and bold letters to emphasize its parts. During my survey I interviewed two people on the topic of “non-verbal communication” in city tech where I asked questions to a freshman from India and a junior from Bangladesh. They both had similar point of view on body parts used in nonverbal communication. For example, for eye contact both said is important to establish eye contact when speaking to other, which shows the other party that you’re interested in what he/she is saying”. Making direct eye contact provides others with the comfort needed to communicate with you in return. In addition, facial expressions convey your emotions telling people that you are happy or in a good mood. It also creates an atmosphere with warmth and friendliness, allowing others to feel comfortable.

Geannel
    Participant

Non-verbal communication can include any gestures like eye movements or body movements that can communicate a message. During this survey, I got to question one female and one male. The female was hispanic and a freshman and the male was a hispanic latin and also a freshman, since both people shared the same background they had similar views during this interview. For arms and hand gestures they stated that many people in their families including themselves will use their hands while explaining a story to enhance the story or make the point clear. For leg gestures, they both agreed that during a formal setting you are told since young to keep them still and together, for the female to have them crossed to show etiquette or class. They also agreed that if someone is stomping their feet then it means that the person is upset or throwing a tantrum. Body gestures can express positive or negative emotions that can result in good or bad manners. For facial expressions, they female thought that closing eyes during a conversation can mean that the person is tired or over the conversation, like they don’t want to listen to the nonsense anymore. The male thought that established eye contact shows that you’re interested in what the person has to say. Either one can express a different type of emotion it just depends on how it’s done.

angel ortiz
    Participant

When using non verbal communication you are trying to send a message to someone without having to use words, I interviewed one person who said she was originally from Poland, we spoke on most of the terms and she had some different views on a couple of them, when talking about moving the shoulders up and down she believed that this was a sign of someone who’s not really interested or maybe doesn’t really care of what’s being talked about. When it came to the eye contact she said it depends on what the persons background is, there are some people from different cultures who might not find direct eye contact as appealing as others and might see it as a way of intimidating someone but in the most part is seen as a way to show interest in a conversation. She also felt that when someone crosses their legs in occasion this does imply that there is interest in the discussion from both parties and when tapping the feet this could be a sign of someone being anxious or nervous about something. Non verbal communication is very important , so is the way people view it as it can give you an insight on to what people think when you do these things during a conversation

Steven Grande
    Participant

Non-verbal communication is the act of commuticating with someone with out using words . Instead we use acts such as eye movement or body movements . When I went out to interview people I asked 2 males what these movements meant to them . So one that I found was a common understanding was that moving your shoulders up and down means that they don’t know or aren’t interested and the person that I interviewed thought the same . For the other male he said that he usually does that when he’s being shy and he doesn’t know what to say , like a sign of confusion.non-verbal communication is important because many people don’t use it the same way and it can have many different meanings .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.