LNG1100-OL51-SU2020

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Jess
    Participant

Texting removes all non- verbal communication and emotional context from the conversation. I find this to be true, I personally like talking on the phone or in person if I am going to have a serious conversation. I find it impersonal to communicate through text when you are trying to convey sarcasm and/or emotion. The reason being you cannot hear the tone of the conversation and things can be taken out of context. With today’s technology I personally feel that we have our smart phones at our disposal. A lot of times we don’t even realize what the person we are communicate might be doing at the moment of us texting them. Our phones makes us accessible to communication 24/7 in my opinion it’s unhealthy and I think it’s important to remember that we don’t always have to answer a text right away or feel sorry for not being accessible at all times. I think It’s so important to step away from constant texting/communication/ social media and have time to yourself.

Jess
    Participant

Hello Astrid,

Your video conveys how many people in today’s society feel. I believe everyone is different in their own individual way which also means we all communicate differently. The example where the host speaks about how texting is great for her and her significant other because she gets to think about how she is going to respond is excellent. I believe it would be more authentic of the person to respond without thinking it over. Personally I tend to over think situations and conversation given the circumstance. When speaking on the phone or in person I feel you can give a more authentic response when answering someone because you don’t have all the time in the world to think about it. I think it’s important to understand how the person you are speaking communicates best and alter ways of communication from there.

Astrid Marroquin
    Participant

response to Lilian:

It’s really sad how people still text and drive while knowing the consequences, and yes it’s banned in many states including New York. I really like this video because it’s a little girl that is giving the speech and that’s not that common to see, so that caught my attention. Even though it’s illegal in most states and there’s apps to restrict the use of phones while driving..people still manage to not really care and think “no, this will never happen to me.” A lot of people have that mentality, that since they never experienced it, in this case a car crash due to texting, they thinking it won’t happen to them. Most people act on it until they experience it, why wait until you crash? why wait until it’s a life or death situation? Why not be cautious from the start, especially with the information they know and can learn.

Astrid Marroquin
    Participant

I apologize, it wasn’t loading all the way and I wasn’t able to see my partners post so I responded to someone else’s….

response to Jess:

Yes, texting isn’t as effective when it comes to giving big news or talking about something really important. I agree that texting removes all types of non-verbal communication which conveys confusion in tones and emotion, makes people put more effort and time in explaining what they meant then the actual initial conversation. Resolving a conflict should not be through text because of lack of emotion and tone, and it’s just less effective then at least on the phone but mainly in person. It’s true how when texting you don’t necessarily know where the other person is or what they are doing so you might not even have their full attention, which leads to miscommunication and misunderstanding.

KevinMZ
    Participant

Jada,
    I watched the video as well titled “How Texting Can Ruin Relationships” and agree with the key points you mentioned in your post. I see many peers in college who text more than do phone calls especially inside the lecture rooms. Communicating through text messaging and phone calls a decade ago is different compared to this point in time.

sashalee
    Participant

response to shabon,
    your video is very informative, i agree with some of what your video is talking about but i feel like what about the people who are in long distance relationship and are only aloud to text each other. i do think texting is kinda better because its better to text somethings rather than saying it to persons face because you might be scared to say it to them. i think couples could watch this video and learn from it and their relationship can grow from it.

jancelee
    Participant

The video I choose on texting is called “The Secret Texting Language of Teens” I found this video very interesting for several reasons. When watching this video we see the discussion with teens and parents and how aware are parents of Acronyms used by their teens t communicate. Teens are our future and after watching this video is obvious that acronyms are impacting teens life. They communicate with acronyms the majority of the time not using proper language. Teens also communicate this way to keep things from their parents being that they most probably might not be up to date. This is alarming for several reasons. When using acronyms and the parent is not aware of it can be dangerous because the parent might not be aware of a situation. The next reason I found this interesting is that if this is becoming part of the norm communicating in acronyms than we might be changing the culture of communication, people will forget about proper grammar proper spelling and it can become a game-changer in the world of communication.

jancelee
    Participant

In Response to Astrid,

I found this video very interesting. It speaks about how the human connection is being lost., the emotional aspect are being lost and the personal aspect. Feelings, emotions, and energy is often lost and messages can be misconstrued. I also found it interesting that it is easiest to communicate by text and not have to face. The human connection is being lost. The fact the facial expressions cannot be read or voices cannot be heard the massage can be taken incorrectly.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.