LNG1100-OL51-SU2020

• Author
    Posts
  • #63845

Module 8: Task 3: Individual online search task

1. Go on YOU tube and search a video that discusses texting. You can search for either positive or negative view of texting. The video can be from experts or individuals but it should be easy to follow and fairly representative for a classroom situation. The optimum length is about 3 minutes.
    List the video address here:

2. Once you have watched the video, prepare a short summary of key points. List the key points using the space below. Introduce this video to class.

3. The pairs will still work together and evaluate and respond to each other’s task.

#63851

Jada

The video I chose was about the negatives of texting and how it could ruin a relationship. Something that was mentioned in the video was that a lot of people prefer texting over actual phone calls. Although this study was done in 2011, it is still true for today and I agree with that conclusion. Most the people I know hate to be on the phone and only like to text, mostly the teenagers. Something else that was mentioned in a different study is that women thought more texting led to a healthier and more stable relationship whereas men thought the opposite. The people that participated in this study were ages 18-25 and more than half of them were currently in a relationship. I agree with the majority of males because a lot of things can be miscommunicated over text which can cause more problems. They talk about how you emotions will effect how you respond to a text. For example if you are angry about something from work and get a text from someone your brain will initiate the fight or flight response and look for a fight. Those emotions can then cause problems in the relationship at a later time. It’s better to talk about emotions in person rather than over text.

#63897

KevinMZ

In this video titled “Life Observations: Texting”, shows the differences and effects of texting and engaging in real life conversations. Such as people initiating conversations in today’s society less formal. Although it may be informal, it is also efficient to get “straight to the point.” This is the case with text messaging whether a person wants to do something or ask a question. While engaging in a conversation through text messaging, words and sentences can be taken out of context. The word or sentence will have to be interpreted for the reader to understand, to ensure communication is understandable and stable.

#63902

Chanell Perez

I chose this video because it contains positive and negative feedback regarding texting. Also, professor Alatriste posted a video from this guy Trace Dominguez.

The video explains that in 2006, 35% of the total USA population texted at some point during this year. By 2015, 100% of the teenagers or young adults where texting. 92% of older adults also used this form of communication. I huge changed for a technology that wasn’t present for most part of their lives. This was positive because it allows many to a new faster form of communication.

A study source revealed that this new activity has develop a wave in our brains that it gets activated when we are performing this activity; which implies that our brain have changed. When we are texting, the brain uses attention, emotions, motor skills, and oratory verbal activities all at once. Another study showed that children that text, have a faster response when using computers, but were less accurate in their responses. In addition, kids that use mobile phones for texting have a poor memory but faster response for memory tasks. However, their spelling and education is better when they grow older compared to those who didn’t text at all. Another aspect that has been developed thanks to texting is the sensitivity of our thumbs which has increased our perceptive sense.

For negative feedback, the video explains that multitasking is actually negative. We should concentrate in one activity at the time in order to complete it properly. Trace explains that a study has shown that texting and doing other activities at once increases the levels of stress for individuals causing confusion later on and decision fatigue. On top of that, tasks may take you longer and can affect the outcomes of whatever activity being done.

In conclusion, texting definitely changes our brains and the way we see the world. The key is to learn how and when to use it.

#63906

NANA DEI SAKYI

The video that I chose is about”Why Texting Kills Attraction & Destroy Relationships” how texting affects relationships. in the video that the author talks about the challenges of texting someone( mostly a guy texting a girl), he said most guys get anxious when females do not reply to their text in a timely manner. the guy then go-ahead to further send more text which then signals he is desperate and that kills attractions. the author went ahead to explain that females of the age of 16 have come across all the weird people that one can come across so it’s easy for females to pick up all the red flags when texting. people can come off needy and desperate through text. and females tend to pull away from that kind of people (guys). meeting someone and talking face to face can be charming and there will or might be a connection but people will pull off from you when they begin to see red flags from you through texting. though texting can be fun it can also lead to miscommunication or misunderstanding. it is difficult to convey emotions through text.

#63908

sashalee

The video that i chose” is texting affecting our vocabulary and writing abilities” the author talks about what texting is and the different kind of slang words that we use when we are texting and they talk about why we use it. He goes on to say that when we text is very hard to switch grammar rules and we might mix them up, they don’t know when to switch from cheer slang to normal slang so that mess them up in school and they might start misspelling words. they don’t realize that they are doing it. The author goes on to say that building up a sentence in any language take years of practice and might get messed up because of texting. i agree with what they are saying because i do forget or mess up sometimes when I’m either working or just texting. If I’m not in school for a long period of time i would some gammer rules and when i go back to school i would use texting rules so yes i do agree that texting messes up your vocabulary and writing abilities.

#63909

Laura Ramirez

The video I chose is: Is Texting Ruining Your Grammar? I chose this video because I use a lot of abbreviations when I text with my friends and family, however I have heard people around me, especially adults complain on their usage, supposedly because it’s ruining a language grammar.

In this video by Ross Everett from DNews, he talks about how texting and writing might be two entirely different forms of communication. According to Ross as technology progresses and communication becomes less face to face, shorthand phone texting become more integrated into our conversations. Some examples provided are WYA? (where you at?), or IDK (I don’t Know).
    A discussion takes place about what would happen to the youth which is using this method of communication everyday avoiding grammatical rules and possibly affect their educational milestones. However, according to Ross recent studies have shown that texting has actually become associated with better literary skills. To Support this claim. The video includes the study: Exploring the longitudinal relationships between the use of grammar in text messaging and performance on grammatical tasks, which found no evidence that the use of grammatical violations and text messages translated to poor grammatical or spelling skills in school students. In fact, this research claims that use of texting slang (textisms) when text messaging does not appear to impact negatively on children’s literacy outcomes and may even benefit children’s spelling attainment.
    In conclusion, I think the progression of technology has developed new and fun tools that people from all ages are taking advantage of, however, not all people will always have the same opinion on these developments. Thus, controversy around the messaging and abbreviations new concepts will continue to exist.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by Laura Ramirez.
    #63911

Eli

I chose this video because it discusses how things are changing now that technology has become a thing most people use , and it shows people giving their own insight in the effects of texting.
    The video starts by describing how people from Brooklyn talk a certain way, people from Boston talk a certain way and now people that are so much into technology also talk a certain way.
    In our society now it’s not frowned down upon as much as it used to be, So it’s something that has become casual.
    There’s a girl in the video that talks about how she says LOL so much on the phone that she finds herself doing the same when writing emails to colleagues.
    It’s important to be able to switch back and forth between modes of communication and levels of formality.
    In LA TIMES report professor S Shyam Sundar said that text speak has become so routine among young users that it’s eroding their foundation of basic grammar.

#63916

Jada

Response to Laura:

I like the video you chose because as a 20 year old I hear from my parents a lot that I should put down the phone and pick up a book. Using the abbreviations and misspelling words in texting is ‘making me dumber’ so I shouldn’t text so much. I like that this video debunks the myth that texting is bad for us, kind of like this class is debunking myths about language. I like that you included the facts from the video in your response to it to help support what you said.

#63917

Laura Ramirez

Response to Jada

I enjoyed watching the video posted by Jada, because it is connected to this module’s topic: texting, and I liked the fact that Jada provided a brief description of what the video is about with main key points. I agree with the video claims that people prefer texting over calls, and I include myself in that position because if I get a call from my friend or family I immediately pick up because I know it must be something really important, since most of the time we use text messages to communicate with each other.

#63919

Astrid Marroquin

I chose this video because I do watch this show at times, and they do talk about relevant and interesting things. This is a day talk show and in this video they are discussing texting and talking, the differences, which one is better and how texting effect relationships and peoples behavior. One strongly believes that texting is amazing and actually is very helpful to her because while she is texting her significant other she doesn’t know how to respond sometimes so she takes her time to think on how to respond and be smooth about it. That goes with talking to whoever, texting gives her time to ask a friend how to respond, or double check if she understood the text correctly and etc. The other cohost says that texting is great for specifically for single people because you can get away with talking to multiple people at the same time, but as one argued, that that causes problems with relationships, people can easily cheat on you. And when someone says “I rather text you right now instead being on the phone” can be taken in a negative way and makes texting a bad thing in that specific situation to some…. which indicates there’s something you don’t want to say out loud, which brings questions like, who is there with you right now? why can’t you just tell me on the phone? what are you hiding? Others argued that texting is hard to understand at times and creates confusion in conversations and someones tone is what is mainly misunderstood. How in text you don’t know what that person behind the screen really feels and peoples interpretations in all capital letters text and punctuation marks and acronyms has an effect too and it all falls into misleading information or simply confusion all around.

#63927

lilian E

I chose this video because texting and driving is a big issue today.
    Why do people still do it when they know it cause accidents and sometimes death. Texting and driving negatively affect a person ability to consentrate it the road and keep their head clear and straight. This has been an issue in all states because drivers behind the wheel
    Are texting while driving and pedestrian walking or even drivers coming in the opposite direction are texting. This video was present by a young girl and she expressed how she felt about the situation. She was very passionate and the message was delivered purposely to adult drivers . Was the text worth it? Was it tat serious that it could not wait? Data also shows that many road incident is caused by texting and driving . This has been illegal but drivers still do it .

1. Texting and driving is illegal.
    2. Data show texting and driving cause signify the amount of accidents.
    3. Both drivers on the road and texting and driving.
    4. Drivers seem to get away with it because they hide their phones.

Below is a link to the Ted X video about texting and driving

#63928

NANA DEI SAKYI

it is rather unfortunate a lot of people can’t help it but still text while driving. texting has become part of our lives that we would rather text people than to talk to them in person or even on the phone. there are settings now on some smartphones that will enable you to text via voice command. the passion with which the young girl speaks with I feel is coming from an experience she might have gone through. texting and driving is a terrible thing that it hurts to see people still doing it.

#63929

Shabon

Women text happy. Men text angry and everybody texts too much. This video focuses on the negative affect texting can have on a male – female relationship.
    According to researchers in a study by Brigham Young University women believed the more they and their significant others texted each other the more stable the relationship; however, men thought, the more frequent texting meant less stability especially if they were the ones doing more texting. This was such a gross difference in the way the two sexes viewed the act of texting. Researches believed that women used texting to manage the relationship, apologize and so on, while men used texting to avoid confrontation and in some cases back out of the relationship. Even though women used texting in a more happy way, on the contrary, their relationships were consistently less happy. We put our own emotional state into the things that we are reading, this is part of the reason the relationships were less happy.
    Overall the study showed that couples who texted less were generally happier. So texting the happier things and talking out the other things face to face where we can use the intuitive part of our brain to pick up on emotion is probably the smarter thing to do.

#63930

Shabon

Kevin, your video clip was funny and informative. I actually don’t LOVE texting. I’m on a few group chats that can be really long and drawn out; and depending on how busy I am that day, they can be super annoying. I’ve often wanted to scream “I don’t care” like the character in the clip. I’ve also experienced the sudden end of a text message. Where I’m left thinking “ok what’s happening here, did she see that last comment?”. I know that texting is what people do now, and it does allow you to get straight to the point, but I still prefer talking. Using the computer all day for work and then having to type out entire conversations through email and text is not how I like to spend my day. Not to mention it is wreaking havoc on my fingers and wrist.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)