LNG1100-OL51-SU2020

• Author
    Posts
  • #63846

Module 8/ Task 2

Introduction to “Language Change”
    Look for the Module 8 Audio file under Files.

1.Listen to the audio.
    2. On this thread, write any reactions or thoughts that you have based on the audio.

#63850

Jada

HI JADA, SO MANY GOOD POINTS HERE. LET ME EXPLAIN WHAT I MEAN BY VALUE: LANGUAGE BY ITSELF DOES NOT HAVE ‘VALUE’ – VALUE IS ADDED BY OUTSIDE FORCES AND IT IS ALWAYS SOCIO-POLITICAL. YOUR EXAMPLE ILLUSTRATES THAT. PEOPLE IN SOCIETIES ADD OR ATTRIBUTE VALUE TO SOME LANGUAGES, AND LESS VALUE TO OTHERS. OR IF THEY HEAR SOMEONE SPEAKS A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE, THEY IMMEDIATELY ASSUME THEY ARE IMMIGRANTS. THOSE ARE JUDGMENTS OR VALUES ASSIGNED BY THE SOCIETY. LANGUAGE ITSELF ON ITS OWN, AS A TOOL DOES NOT HAVE THAT. IN OTHER WORDS, VALUE IS NOT EMBEDDED IN LANGUAGE. IT IS IMPOSED FROM THE OUTSIDE.

Something that stuck out to me in this audio is that language changes over time even in the same area. Even if it changes slightly it still changes and you will notice it. I learned that language change is tied to power, education, and privilege. I didn’t know language was that complex where it comes down to the socio-political aspect of life. I agree with you that there are two groups of people, those who want change, embrace it, and enforce it and those who are against it. However I disagree that language doesn’t carry value. In the way you mentioned it makes sense but my first thought went to the fact that in certain countries if you speak a certain language you are judged and deemed not as valuable as someone else. The example being if an Asian person speaks Chinese, Japanese, Korean or any other of those languages, or a Spanish person speaking Spanish they are automatically seen as immigrants and less worthy of opportunities English speakers have.

#63852

KevinMZ

HI KEVIN, YES. DOUBLE NEGATIVES ARE THOUGHT IN ENGLISH TO BE BAD. BUT IN TRUTH THEY ARE FINE IN FRENCH, ITALIAN AND I BELIEVE SPANISH. MOST SLAVIC LANGUAGES HAVE DOUBLE NEGATIVES. SO IT IS A MATTER OF AN OUTSIDE DECISION. LANGUAGE ITSELF, ON ITS OWN, DOES NOT HAVE ANY SUCH RULE. RULES ARE CREATED BY THE USERS AND CHANGED BY THE USERS.

I agree with the fact languages changes through time. As new vocabulary, grammar rules, and the way we speak a language with slight changes have a role in language as a whole changing in various of countries across the globe. Language dominance is also a real idea, English in this case is widely known across the globe, and the U.S. accepts international students where they use the English language while studying in colleges and universities. I do not use double negatives when speaking and texting. If someone uses a double negative, I would still understand what they are saying to me. Language change is interesting as it happens globally.

#63863

Eli

I agree with the fact that change cannot be stopped, as much as there are many that might disagree with it because it can be political , it will happen. Mostly when it comes to language because as mentioned in the audio language itself does not carry any value, it is something that will change even more, because language is just something that people use to communicate. The way it is used, written and the way it is expressed will always change, And it has enormously.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Eli.
    #63874

Astrid Marroquin

YES, ABSOLUTELY. PEOPLE CREATE AND CHANGE LANGUAGE THROUGH USE. BUT THEN, GROUPS OF OTHER PEOPLE DECIDE WHAT AND HOW WE SHOUDL TALK. HERE IS AN EXAMPLE: IN THE 16TH CENTURY ENGLAND THOUGH MEANT YOU! THERE WAS NO 3RD PERSON SINGULAR REQUIREMENT. BUT TODAY THERE IS.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE: IN THE UK STILL TODAY, YOU MUST USE PRESENT PERFECT TENSE (I’VE JUST HAD BREAKFAST) OR IT WILL BE CONSIDERED WRONG AND IN SCHOOL MARKED INCORRECT. BUT GUESS WHAT: IN AMERICAN EGLISH IT IS NO LONGE REQUIRED AND IS NOT CONSIDERED WRONG. THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF LANGUAGE CHANGE!

Like my peers, I also agree that change cannot be stopped. It’s something that will happen whether we like it or not, the examples that were stated in the video are perfect examples on how change works and how there really isn’t a way on how it can be stopped it’s either you agree or disagree but change will take place, that there are two groups when it comes to change; the ones who agree with it and others that don’t want it at all and see every negative aspect of it. The way of speaking has changed over time especially now with social media, technology…as we talked about in task 1 that acronyms have a big role in how we communicate with each other so does texting. What stuck to me was the idea of language not having any value, how it’s simply used to communicate, there’s no better or worse way to speak a language, it’s just a way for us to interact…nothing more.

#63899

Chanell Perez

VERY GOOD COMPARISON CHANELL: WE HAVE THE ROYAL ACADEMY IN THE UK AND SOMETHING CALLED ‘RECEIVED PRONUNCIATION (MEANING YOU RECEIVED IT VIA EDUCATION). IT IS ALSO CALLED ‘QUEEN’S ENGLISH.

CLEARLY, VERY FEW PEOPLE SPEAK IT AND IN THE NEXT 20 YEARS, IT MAY DISAPPEAR COMPLETELY. BUT THERE ARE SOCIETIES FOR THE PROTECTION OF LANGUAGE. THE GOAL IS TO STOP CHANGE AND KEEP IT ‘PERFECT’. OF COURSE, IF YOU KNOW THAT IN THE PAST, IN 16TH CENTURY, A DOULE NEGATIVE WAS PERFECTLY NORMAL AND CORRECT, YOU WILL KNOW THAT IT IS ALL ABOUT DECISIONS AND POWER. LANGUAGE ITSELF IS WHATEVER IS SAID.

It is a reality that language changes over time. I am not to aware of how English has changed in the last decades or centuries, but, I do have notice how the Dominican Spanish seems to evolve rapidly. Dominicans seem to be very creative, so every year, a new list of slang words comes out the streets. As the year passes, these words become dominicanism and pass to be part of the popular speech. Also, in Spanish, we have “La Real Academia Española” which is The Royal Spanish Academy (Spanish: Real Academia Española, generally abbreviated as RAE) is Spain’s official royal institution with a mission to ensure the stability of the Spanish language. They make modifications to the language every time is necessary or when some grammatical rules become obsolete. Agreeing with Prof. Alatriste, we shouldn’t be judging over which languages pronunciations are better or what it is the right pronunciation of words because language is an act of expression of the human being and should not be biased.

#63901

Laura Ramirez

My reaction from this video is that there just like in any other cultural or social factor when change is happening, there is usually two groups whether they are in favor or against it. When it comes to language, I agree that there has been an unstoppable change in the past two decades, I remember when I was a child and the only available communication tools were the a home phone or letters to send to my relatives that did not have a phone. My older brother used to get “love letters” from her girlfriend compared to what happens now with many teenagers using snapchat or tic toc to use text massages. I have heard people around me disagree with the communication methods that are used now, especially in children and teenagers and I think these forces in society fear that the written language may disappear or drastically change in ways we thought wouldn’t happen.

#63905

NANA DEI SAKYI

people have the fear of change because they don’t know how the change will affect them hence they will try to do whatever it will take for change not to happen. language change is inevitable. in my opinion every generation will have its own form of the language be it English or any other language. just like how when my generation says something like “no cap” which simply means “I’m not lying” an older generation might not get it and the new generation will have to explain what it means. Language is one of the aspects of life that will change every free generation and in my opinion, there are not any forces that will stop it from happening. I see it as the current generation unconsciously tailors the language in a way that suits the generation. it is a collective effort that makes this possible.

#63907

sashalee

I agree that change do happen and its something that we will never be able to stop from happening. There is new grammar rules that we will have to follow and new words that we will have to learn. I think todays language is different from back then languages. A lot of people have a fear of change but as i said its something that will happen everyday. I also think that texting do change the language that we speak because its always a shorter term come out for a word. I think in the future the language of today will be different to them. I think change is good for everyone so that we can all learn.

#63924

Shabon

I knew that things like rap music and texting contributed to some changes in the English language but I didn’t realize the degree to which they did. I agree that change is inevitable, it can be delayed but never stopped. In my lifetime I haven’t noticed that many changes to the English language except for some terms for example, used while texting, from music and movies but I don’t know of changes as major as discontinuing the use of double negatives and words like thou an ye. The statement that language has no value was a surprising one, even though it’s true. It was such a good point that language is just a form of communication made by people and if not for politics, privilege and educational domination, things like perfect grammar wouldn’t matter at all.

#63925

lilian E

After hearing the audio I must agree that language does not stay the same. It changes over time . I have noticed that Brooklyn language is different than Bronx language. All because of culture and accent. Old fashion English has definitely change over time and has gotten overpower by modern language. When people migrate they bring their language ,culture and accent so over the years language have defiantly change. If language. Hangs is political , I am not sure about this. I have never heated the term. Language has a lot to do with education. In school we are taught English language and grammar and other rules that goes along with it . For those who have not been in the class room is not aware of this for they only speak words out their mouth. The texting change lanaguage because people are reading and writing short hand instead of spelling out the entire word. The rap language have change language because singing you don’t necessarily have to say all the words. It can be butchered so that it all Rhymes and flow together . The way we use worlds and the way we speak and write is all different. This change is unstoppable because technology and language are Evolving on a daily basis so it will keep changing overtime. I have used double negative in the past when speaking but not that I have taken several English and language course I have learn to speak and write properly. Texting has defiantly ruin grammar because perils write the way they speak now. With no grammatically correction. What comes out the mouth is what they write ion paper . With spell check available . People are able to somewhat correct their spelling without even noticing . Thai is done automatic by auto correct. People do not care how to spell anymore because of this feature of devices.

#63931

Jess

I agree with Dr. McWhorter he’s quite right about the fact that our writing evolves as does our speaking, and that texting is essentially fingered speaking. This is a brilliant view of how communication and language evolves over time. Looking at texting as “fingered speech” and developing multi-lingual skills is a great observation. This TED talk gave me perspective. Often we judge those by how well you “text” to one another. Also, I don’t use lol as much of a marker but more the mood I am in. For example, if I know my text could possibly be taken negatively, I will add a lol into the text message or after it. We are all different when it comes to speaking, reading, writing and even texting. I cannot even imagine how the future of writing is going to evolve.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)