LNG1100-OL51-SU2020

• Author
    Posts
  • #63847

Welcome to our final module! Before you move on to Task 2, please look at these questions and respond most honestly. Do not read or listen to anything else. Just respond based on your current knowledge.

1. What is an acronym? Give a few examples of acronyms used in daily life for names of companies, universities, etc.

2. Do you use acronyms when texting? If yes, list 4-5 that you use.

3. Why do you think some people object to acronym use in general?

4. What are some concerns people may have over acronym use when texting?

5. List here some use of names and letters when texting.

#63848

KevinMZ

An acronym is an entire word that is divided into initials of the first letter. A few examples of acronyms used in daily life include “CUNY”, “BS”, and “J&J”. Those acronyms spell out to be “City University of New York”, “Bachelor of Science”, and “John and Johnson” respectively. I also use acronyms when texting, some include “FYI” (For your information, “lol” (laughing out loud), “BTW” (by the way), and “AKA” (also known as). Some people object to acronym use in general because they think it is lazy to use them, it can also be confusing as not everyone knows all acronyms. A concern people may have over acronym when texting is the misunderstanding of certain acronyms such as people confusing “PPP” (Point to Point Protocol), which is a technical term, with “PPP” (Paycheck Protection Program) which is a financial term. Some use of names and letter when texting include laughing out loud (lol), acknowledgement (ACK), and in real life (IRL) in the correct sentences.

#63849

Jada

1. An acronym is a word that stands for something such as a phrase. For example, ASAP stands for As Soon As Possible. One for a company is NASA, I don’t know what it stands for but I know it is an acronym. Another one is GPS, again not sure what that stands for but it is an acronym.

2. Yes, I use acronyms when texting but that could be argued. Since an acronym forms a word from a phrase some may not consider these acronyms. Ones I use are wtf (what the f***), lol (laugh out loud), lyk (let you know), and wyd (what are you doing).

3. People object to using acronyms specifically the ones used in texting because it can leak over into the person’s professional life. You don’t want to send your boss a letter that says I will lyk (let you know) at my earliest convenience. It is most likely to happen with teens who are just entering the workforce.

4. I haven’t heard of concerns using acronyms while texting but one could be that some people don’t understand what the person is trying to say.

5. Some people like to take shortcuts when texting so instead of saying you they say ‘u’, or instead of great they may use ‘gr8’.

#63862

Eli

1. An acronym is an abbreviation used from a word. Some examples of these would be H&R Block which actually stands for Henry and Richard block, I had to look that one up because I was curious. SUNY (state university of New York), NYU (New York University) and also FIT (Fashion Institute of technology).

2. I use acronyms while texting all the time, for example I use WYD (what are you doing), WYA (where are you), LMK (let me know), RN (right now), IDK (I don’t know).

3. Some people object to the use of acronyms because for starters not everyone is able to understand most of them so this way the person won’t be confused also in a professional way you wouldn’t want to use them. I myself tend to used acronyms while texting family and friends but never outside of that.

4. Some concerns might be what I mentioned in question 3, that most people are not familiar with the use of acronyms so they don’t know many of them and it saves them time instead of having to go and google what they stand for.

5. some use of names and letters when texting would be OT (off topic), AKA (also known as) , IDC (I don’t care).

#63873

Astrid Marroquin

1.)An acronym is simply an abbreviation that uses the initial letters of the word, for instance NYC, LOL( laugh to loud ), PIN ( personal Identification number ), DIY ( do it yourself ), ADHD ( attention deficit hyperactivity disorder ) and the list goes on.

2.)I definitely use acronyms while texting, it just makes everything a lot quicker and easier, I use “smh” which means shake my head, I would normally use that if I’m bothered or annoyed. Also: ngl (not gonna lie), wyd ( what you doing?), wya ( where you at), nvm (never mind), wtw (what’s the word) meaning what we going to do, whats the plan and “lmao” which is used to indicate you are laughing and what was said was really funny.

3.) I feel like acronyms are used in general to make things easier to remember or to indicate, and that goes for kids and adults.

4.)The main concern is that kids don’t tend to write out the whole word or phrase and can forget how to spell some words, it can effect their grammar. I’ve heard a lot of parents say that and teachers, the other concern is simply misunderstanding, some people use more acronyms than others and a misunderstanding can happen.

5.) And some more acronyms while texting are otp (on the phone), lmk (let me know), QGTM ( Queens get the money) which is something people that live in Queens, NY say, it’s just representing our borough, nothing bad. The word you is usually wrote out as “u” in text and also ILY ( i love you) and IK ( i know).

#63884

Chanell Perez

1- An acronyms is defined by me as the broken down of a phrase or tittle into letters which each one represents the initials of each word contained in the line. i.e: USA = United States of America, USCI = United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, etc. Articles contain in the phrase or tittle are not initialized.

2- I do but some reason only in English, not much in Spanish. Some of the acronyms I use are: LOL = Laughing Out Loud, WYD: What are You Doing, BBG = Baby Girl, FYI= For Your Information, CYA=Cover Your A**.

3- I think that a lot of people don’t like the usage of acronyms because meanings can be distorted. Perhaps, some phrases share the same acronyms or some of them are not popular so it would be difficult to decipher their meaning .

4-I have also heard that acronyms used informally, can affect the writing skills of an individual; for example when texting. When they have to write an essay or important paper, it is hard for them because their skill is not exercised.

5- Some of the words utilized when texting are: MIA (Missing In Action), IDK (I don’t Know), HBY (how about you), etc.

#63896

Laura Ramirez

Based on my current knowledge an acronym is a compound word that is formed with the initials of other words to abbreviate something. During my daily life, I use CUNY (City University of New York), ASAP (as soon as possible), and also some medical acronyms like CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation), COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) or DM for Diabetes Mellitus, and CYA for ( cover your a*$$) ( excuse the language)
    Yes, I used some, like OMG, (oh my God), NP (no problem), smh, (shaking my head), or lmk (let me know).
    I believe that not all people know the meanings and might give the acronym a wrong one, and erroneous communication may take place.
    Some concerns could be that people is not practicing the writing of words and are replacing them with abbreviations and emojis for example.
    I use NYC, IDC, for I don’t care, NVM for never mind, and also ILY for I love you.

#63898

sashalee

1. Acronyms are simply abbreviations created from the first letter of each word in a phrase or series of words. For example WYD ( What You Doing), Asap stands for ( As soon as possible), ATM (automated teller machine) ,

2. Yes i do use acronym when I’m texting, some would be wyd( what you doing) ,wtf ( what the f***) , lol ( laugh out loud) lmaoo(laughing my a** off) , lmafoo ( laughing my f*** a** off)

3.people object because its not proper english they would say and there is a lot so they don’t have time to learn them all

4. i haven’t seen people have concerns using it but it depends on the person because teens might understand it but adults might not understand it.

5. i use “u” , wyd , lol , ttyl , wtf, wassup

#63904

NANA DEI SAKYI

1. according to google acronym is an abbreviation from the initial letters of the other word and pronounced as a word. some examples of the acronym used in our daily lives will be based on the context of the conversation. Examples of acronyms include CUNY(City University of New York ) and FIFA( federation of the international football association).

2. I do not use acronyms when I text. I only get to use an acronym in extreme cases. those that I use are FIFA and CUNY.

3. I think people object to acronym because they might not know the meaning of the acronyms and the might draw their attention from the conversation. they might tend to figure out what is mean and also people object to acronym because it always sounds like a made-up word.

4. some of the concerns people might have over acronym use when texting will be it creates confusion when the recipients aren’t aware of the meaning of the acronym. and also change the “tone” of the conversation.

5. those that I hardly use are wft ( what the f*ck), wtw( what’s the word) and hbd( happy birthday)

#63913

Laura Ramirez

Response to Jada

Just as Jada, I also use similar acronyms like lol (laugh out loud), or lyk (let you know), I use them when I text my friends and family, but not when communicating work-related information. As stated by Jada we wouldn’t want to send our boss a letter that says, “I will lyk”. This can denote an unprofessional stance on our part. I think that we should be mindful when including these abbreviations in our text messages since just like Jada stated, some people don’t understand what the other person is trying to say.

#63914

Shabon

An acronym is an abbreviation pronounced into a word. AIDS, NASA, AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association), COBA (Correction Officer’s Benevolent Association) are a few examples of acronyms. YOLO is the only acronym I can think of that I used frequently when texting. I’m not sure why anyone would object to acronym use in general or when texting other than the possibility that it will be mistaken for another meaning.
    OMG (oh my God), YOLO (you only live once), WTH (what the hell?), BTW (by the way), and TTYL (talk to you later) are a few abbreviations used in text talk.

#63915

Jada

Response to Laura:

I disagree that an acronym is a compound word because those are words made up of two words (butter-fly). An acronym is a form of an abbreviation that usually forms another word in itself. Or something that can be read as word, as you said CUNY, people don’t read that as C-U-N-Y but they read it as it’s own word. I think you gave good examples of acronyms. I also us np and smh when I text and those are the acronyms that aren’t words as themselves because we read the phrase it stands for rather than what the letters make up. I agree that some people may not use the acronym in the correct context or interpret them wrong. I know I’ve seen posts where people make fun of the older generation for thinking LOL means lots of love not laughing out loud. I think replacing words with acronyms does prevent people from practicing their language as well as the placement of all the letters on the keyboard.

#63921

Jess

1. What is an acronym? Give a few examples of acronyms used in daily life for names of companies, universities, etc. An acronym is an abbreviation to shorten written or spoken words. For example ASAP is commonly used to represent as soon as possible. NYCCT is an acronym for New York City College of Technology. LOL is an acronym for laugh out loud.

2. Do you use acronyms when texting? If yes, list 4-5 that you use. Yes, I do use acronyms when texting. I use acronyms such as NVM (never mind), ETA (estimated time of arrival), BRB (Be right back), JW (just wondering), gtg (got to go)

3. Why do you think some people object to acronym use in general? IT makes for informal writing additionally if you get too use to using acronyms you might become a distasteful writer. As well as if you are writing to an older age group they might not understand what you are trying to say.

4. What are some concerns people may have over acronym use when texting? Some people may have concerns that their formal writing may become like their texting form of language. Another concern some people might have is that others may not understand what they are trying to portray.

5. List here some use of names and letters when texting. I use TTYL (talk to you later) ,ILY ( I love you), ROFL (rolling on the floor laughing),LMK ( let me know), BFF (best friends forever), OMG (oh my god)

#63922

lilian E

1.An acronym is an abbreviation formed the initial letter of each words and pronounciation. Examples of acronyms are BLK- black lives matter, ASAP- as soon as possible, N/A- not applicable, IDK- I dint kno, and OMG- Oh My God.

2.i do used acronyms when texting with friends and family. The ones I used most are . WYD- what are you doing?, brb-be right back, c’min- come on, str8- straight, and PlZ- please.

3,I think some people object to acronyms because it can mean so many thing and the conversation can be lost in translation. What an acronym means to be means something else to someone else. Acronym does not complete a sentence . Too much acronym can be a different words and meaning at different time. You have to be knowledgeable in acronym to translate too many acronym can ruin a sentence and meaning.

4. Some used of names and letters when texting are rtn- return, wya- where you at., cula8er- see you alter. Ttm- talk to me.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by lilian E.
    #63926

NANA DEI SAKYI

Response to Lilian
    I agree with you that too much of acronyms can lead to lost of transactions. Though there are some popular acronyms that are known to the public there are still some that aren’t known. It is advisable to not assume that an individual knows the meaning of a certain acronym. It’s best when it is spelt out completely to avoid any miscommunications. I some what disagree with you about acronyms not being a complete sentence. I think acronym can be a full sentence as long as the meaning is known by both parties. For example, if you are to ask someone for your money and he or she asks when you need your money by you can say to the person ASAP (as soon as possible). As long as the recipient know what ASAP mean texting them just that is a complete sentence to them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)