LNG1100-OL51-SU2020

• Author
    Posts
  • #63723

Hello students!

Work on this powerpoint slowly. It contains a lot of materials. Make sure you understand the key aspects of gender talk.

There are videos embedded in the power point. Watch all of them.

Once you have completed studying the PP and you have watched the videos, create a strong Discussion Board Post
    (8-10 lines long), writing a critique of the video material. Consider the following:
    a) is the material believable?
    b) is there data, facts, to support the claims?
    c) are there any counter-claims presented?
    d) can viewers consider all different sides when examining the myths and the beliefs?

Post your critique on this thread.

#63754

Jada

I think the material the first video is believable because he mentions the studies that were done on it and backed up what he said with the facts. I like the way he introduced this video because it gave people a chance to realize that there are stereotypes of who talks more. The way he talks about this at the start is by saying what the stereotypes are and what the different beliefs are. He also mentioned how context matters a lot. The second video also mentions how people automatically assume its the girls who are gossiping over boys but. There is mention of one study done so the information is accurate but it would be better if it was compared to something else. There were a lot of people’s opinions in this video which I thought was good to get an outsider’s view on it. In the last video with Ellen, it was mainly for entertainment, there may have been a few things in there that were proven by studies but she made a lot of jokes about it. She said males and females speak the same amount but then proceeded to go off on a tangent about food to be funny and show that women talk more than men.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Jada.
    #63761

KevinMZ

There is a lot of material made available in the research to find out if women actually talk more then men. The video talks about the commonality of people saying women talk more than men, which is derived from a stereotype. Studies shows men talk as much as women with demographics of school children to age. This is also about the topics that are talked about in conversations. There is a large number of research papers published by credible research centers and institutions that support this claim. The counter-claim may be individuals who unwillingly follow the stereotype and say women talk more than men. Although, research is important to support claims and facts about the world we live in. Viewers can consider all different sides when examining the myth and the beliefs, perspective and other explanations are accepted.

#63765

Astrid Marroquin

The slides are informative and so are the videos, the first video and third video specifically are believable because they gave evidence and statistics. There were a few counter claims but it was pretty generalized in a couple of slides and described why the idea that women talk more and how women are more polite. I don’t agree to that especially when it says ” women are more polite because they use could/should/might in questions. Being polite is just simply being polite it’s either you got manners or you don’t, I wouldn’t say women are more polite. In the very first video he is explaining how that the idea of women talk more than men is a myth and how both genders actually speak the same amount and he explains the studies the scientists did. The third video was also pretty believable because they had people answering on how they feel about this topic which is good to get a point of view of others, it makes everything a lot more credible. Also showed statistics and gave evidence to support that gossip is done by both genders and actually people tend to gossip about people they know a lot more than about celebrities, it’s very informative and supported the claim.

#63769

Chanell Perez

I think the first video has believable data that supports the idea of women talking about the same as man, though I disagree. The video provides multiple sources, research studies and statistics from groups that have observed and it seems that the stereotype about women is wrong. In addition, the 2nd video also shows data about a study that implies that men and women are equal when it comes to gossiping. The 3rd video collects data from different people though it wasn’t too inclusive. 3rd video was my favorite! I love DeGeneres. She objects about women talking more than men, as a study states that man use 7000 words a day while women use 20000 (I truly believe this fact). Then she makes fun of her objection by showing that women do talk a lot. Slide 16 mentions that Women and Men may talk differently. I think that the fact that women use more words to express certain ideas or emotions, it is due to their larger brain development in the communication area.

#63770

Laura Ramirez

I found the PPT material informative and the data presented I think is reliable because it does include citations of the research related to the topics explained. The videos included in the video were short but very interesting. I especially like the video that explains how men participate in negative gossip about others just as frequently, as women.This video also includes another result from research which is how socio-economic status made no difference, as to how often people tend to gossip. The first video is very well presented since it explores language stereotype of women talking more than men, I think this video includes believable data since the presenter was able to offer names of the research showing that in fact men and females talk about the same, in contrast to the Ellen’s show video stating that Chardonnay is the “protein” that makes women talk more, I definitely don’t this this information is reliable, and is using the common stereotype of women talking more than just as a topic to make jokes and have her audience entertained and laughing.

#63771

lilian E

The material presented in the PowerPoint and slides are believable because it is proven by linguistics and scientist in this field. I truly believe it because I too have experienced a few stereotype and bias in the role of women. There are several data, facts and supporting claims that men do talk more than men in some aspect. Researchers found words used per day, the length of time talked, and acquaintances over celebrity. Women talk about purse, clothes and shoes while men talk about sports and news. there are counter claims presented in the slides and video that women talk to bond while men talk to control, dominate and do oriented things to get the task done. I believe all viewers can consider all different sides when examine the myths and beliefs from their own personal experiment for from the facts presented. Many women have experienced the same feeling of not being heard by their male partners while many women have felt that they say one thing, but the male hears something else.

#63799

Shabon

I believe the material is believable. There have been several studies to show that men and women talk about the same amount. The American Psychological Association’s study in 2004 proved boys & girls talked about the same amount. The 2007 University of Texas study stated that both men and women speak about 16,000 words a day and there has been many other studies rebuffing the myth that women are generally more talkative than men. The counter claim by non-believers is that women talk more than men even though science has proven otherwise. I myself find it difficult to believe even with scientific information in hand. Viewers can and should consider all sides when examining beliefs and myths. Men and women talk differently depending on where they are, the size of the group they are in and who they are talking to. Recent studies have placed more emphasis on context. One study in 2014 in Scientific Reports concluded that the men and women in the Master’s group talked relatively the same amount (a lot) as did the group of co-workers in the lunch room not very much; they even broke it down further and found that when the Master’s group had less than 6, the female’s talked more; more than 6 the males talked more and no detectable difference in talkativeness when there was no group built by the participants.

#63801

NANA DEI SAKYI

The one thing that caught my attention the most will be how scientists used a device to collect data about who talks the most. I think the data is believable because it is based on the data that the devices collect. it is surprising that both men and women talk about the same amount. The materials can be believable only when there have been many scientists that have done the same experiment and have come up with the same results. Slide 17 talks about how men learn something else from what women say. I think this is a result of men ignoring women because of the stereotype that women talk too much. I would want to know how the data about men and women gossiping were collected and how they were able to come up with a time frame of how much time gossiping takes in one’s day. though the video sound like it from a credible source it did not mention how it was done it just stated its findings and that could be difficult to believe. scientists might have come up with their finds and it up to an individual to believe it or not

#63802

jancelee

Alright, So video number 1 gave us a couple of interesting facts about who talks more Females or Males. It was important that he showed several studies and different situations and settings. I found that a lot of what video one said was very believable, one because he presented facts and studies and also from just observation and my experience. Video Number 3 was more wishy-washy. It didn’t provide me with much fact or studies. We do see people in that video speaking about what they think gossip is and how they would go about gossiping but there was no real fact. One person said that ” as people grow older they tend to gossip more” but then research said that in fact it the opposite as they grow older people have the need to gossip less. Although it was interesting to see the different opinions of people in regards to gossip and who talks it more, I didn’t find that there was much study done on it, and depending on the gender and age the thoughts varied. The Video with Ellen DeGeneres was interesting because I can see me and the my ladies talking about one thing and all of a sudden rambling about 10 other things from that one initial conversation. I’ve also observed just like in her video that men are actually less talkative. I feel like her Ellens video was very accurate. She didn’t talk much about different research but she gave some valid examples of real-life men and woman conversations. All the videos were interesting. They spoke about how the amount of speaking can depend on the environment they are in, around who they and how old they.

I am not able to see video #2 if someone knows why please help. I am getting a message saying the video is no longer available.

#63803

sashalee

PowerPoint and video material is believable. I do believe that men and women talk the same amount as men plus there has been a lot of research done which I think is true. some might think that women talk a lot but so could man. there are several data and supporting facts that women and men talk the same. just because they are men they can still talk about a lot of stuff. They have found the word count that they use and the length. The slide said that women talk about outfits and shows and they might want to get to know you better. While men talk about news and sports but have you seen men talk about stuff like that they can go on forever I think that viewers can consider all different points of the myths and beliefs because everyone is different and they all have their own opinion and experience.

#63807

Eli

The video material is believable, The first video he didn’t specify who he was speaking about to let the viewer use their own opinion to figure it out, whether people think women talk more than men the stereotype is not true. it actually turns out women talk the same amount as men and honestly in my opinion I do think this is true, and also based on scientific studies. Both women and men have used about 16,000 words per day in the US and Mexico. However another study does show men tend to talk just a little bit more. And studies over the years have also changed when it comes to this. So this is something that a viewer could definitely consider when examining the myths and beliefs. It can be something that can be argued because there are different studies showing different sides.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Eli.
    #63918

Jess

The material is believable because there is various research to support talking theories. As depicted in the first video, various universities and organizations have done research that shows most times men and women speak the same amount. Additionally, as the years progressed various data changed which there is no set formula for which showcases that gender exactly will determine talking amount. The second video focused on gossiping between genders. The video portrayed real-world interviews that highlight the bias that women are more likely to be gossipy than men. Research in the video conveyed that gossip did not have to do with gender, but rather maybe age. The third video used humor to portray correlation between gender and talking quantity. Research in the Power Point depicted how women talk to bond, while men talk more to control. The fact that someone gossips or talks might have to do with the individual, and not just have to be connected to gender. A counterargument could be that the discourse kind or quantity could be different and just do to upbringing. However, as noted in the slides sometimes teaching children discourse varies based on gender. Viewers should consider all different sides when examining the myths and the beliefs surrounding discourse because there are numerous variables that can influence different ways in which people talk. These variables include setting, upbringing, comfort level, and so forth. Furthermore, discourse is ever changing from generation to generation and person to person.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)